1. Post
    ludez wrote:
    I've only watched the abs game and half of the aus games. It really just hasn't appealed to me much especially with all the cards handed out
    Surprised you would say this as I know you love rugby.

We debated heavily the card system vs leagues on report system about a year ago in this rugby forum. It is one of the major reasons I switched to league this year. I will be coming back to super rugby in 2021 as I think the round robin structure will be epic. That nuance aside for every reason that card supporters give in favour of that system you can counter it by pointing out how well it works it league in actual practice.

Anyway I don’t mean to reopen that debate. Just wanted to make that reflection.

2. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    It is on an hour delayed on TVNZ and our games after that will be live on there.

Cheers hell Knight

Will do that for the semis

12.15pm a bit late for this nz match on delay so will rock the radio 1950s style

3. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    I will be mostly listening to the games on the radio and logged in here to chat online. Quite looking forward to it as rugby over the radio can be quit exhillerating with a good commentator. Will be my first time hearing a rugby match in over thirty years.

Had to cancel Spark.

Will see the England match live though as a mate has Spark.
    Yeah, radio is a good way for a change to get the rugby & you'll still get to watch the whole game too.

With the delayed coverage from TV 1. was expecting them to have ads in between the actual game like they use to which was bloody aggravating, but thankfully they're not doing that so you get a good flow of the game... so I'm not going to listen on the radio or online just wait that extra hour to watch it.

The national anthems are pretty dour in this tournament... need individual singers with their mics to lead so they can really amplify the anthems like they normally do, adds much more feeling & atmosphere.

4. Post
    the Spark streaming has been rubbish , and yes blah blah competition is good and in the loooonng run it will be better but **** that noise, i am glad i did not give Spark any money for the very less than average shit. Am glad Sky retained the rest of the rugby, i would just give Rugby a pass than give Spark money

5. Post
    Yep I have been downloading missed games

6. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    the Spark streaming has been rubbish , and yes blah blah competition is good and in the loooonng run it will be better but **** that noise, i am glad i did not give Spark any money for the very less than average shit. Am glad Sky retained the rest of the rugby, i would just give Rugby a pass than give Spark money
    The competition is good thing doesn't really work when the competitors aren't offering the same service. In this case being watching the World Cup.

It's not like we have a a range of (legal) viewing options and they're competing for us as customers so want to make the most compelling option possible to win our money. We are stuck with whoever wins the rights. They don't win the rights based on how good of an offering they can give consumers, they win the rights based on who ponies up the most money.

If you want to watch Rugby, it doesn't matter who offers the better service, who is cheaper, who has the better streams, whatever. You're not going to sub with an alternative that doesn't have the Rugby when the whole point is you want to watch the Rugby. You are subbing with who has the Rugby. In this space the content rules everything.
    Last edited by DOGZILLA; 17th October 2019 at 7:04 pm.

7. Post
    Your 23-man squad against Ireland in the Quarter Finals this Saturday.

All details in NZT below.

#BACKBLACK

8. Post
    Very happy he made the tough calls on Crotty and Coles. This team looks great, would've maybe liked to see Weber over Perenara, but an understand why he was picked.

9. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    Very happy he made the tough calls on Crotty and Coles. This team looks great, would've maybe liked to see Weber over Perenara, but an understand why he was picked.
    Any reason you'd see weber over perenara?

10. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Feel he provides more attacking impact off the bench

- - - Updated - - -

ludez wrote:

11. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe he isn't ready for the big teams yet given the amount of less experience he has on international level - it's a huge risk playing against Ireland and its the finals and elimination. I wouldn't rush a young upcoming talent especially at this current stage.

"I look back on my time as a selector and I have definitely picked a couple of players that weren't ready. It's not you pick the wrong person, sometimes you pick them too early."

"Looking at a player's physical ability made it easy to select them too early and not take into consideration the toll the role takes on their "mental fortitude." - Hansen

Example:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...he-wasnt-ready

12. Post
    Coles coming off the bench to inject some pace into the backline...

13. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    Tough calls ? more like poor calls, Coles is clearly a better hooker than Taylor... & what has Goodhue done ? would've gone with Crotty & ALB, Crotty's a very smart player & organises our backline defence much better than any of our other midfielders.

Weber is fast, but Perenara is fast & powerful, would've preferred Perenara to start ahead of A.Smith, hope the latter doesn't overdo the box kicking, too many box kicks by all teams are so ****in' aimless giving away a lot of good possession.

14. Post
    Who's gonna take the bait?

Getcha popcorn ready.

15. Post
    Nothing to do with bait... don't have to agree with every single selection Hansen & co make, have given good reasons for what I said.

16. Post
    What amazes me is why has it taken this coaching staff so long to bring in a kicking game {which has only happened over the last year or so} to help unlock the oppositions defence when they consistently slow our ball down ?

17. Post
    I'm nervous about this one, I can see Ireland pulling finger and getting over us.

18. Post
    There are still games to play, I think they're saving Crotty and Coles for those (who are both prone to head injuries).

Who will get the first red card? Moody or Whitelock?

19. Post
    Barrett.

20. Post
    yup, i was sad but i saw the writing on the wall for Ben Smith long time ago. He is no longer the slippery force he was 2 years ago. I knew he was gonna be dropped. Like above would liked Weber in as well , preferably over Smith but /shrug. Crotty was there as insurance tbh like SBW. I am not sure if Goodhue would been better tho. The forwards picked themselves but if Retallick falls over then we will be in big trouble against the decent Ireland pack.

should be a good one and we get to settle things.

21. Post
    MXRecord wrote:
    I'm nervous about this one, I can see Ireland pulling finger and getting over us.
    It's pretty predictable what Ireland are going to do, try & keep the ball in the forwards a lot & try & slow down our ball as much as possible... ABs need to really focus on getting good numbers on our ball to the breakdowns & consistently clean out well to really nullify them slowing down our quick recycled ball, when they do manage to slow our ball down that's when we need to use an accurate kicking game to turn them around... like any sport you just play what is in front of you, adapt to the situation & take the right option at the time, if we execute well we will beat Ireland really comfortably as no other team is as fit as the ABs or as skillful overall as our backs & forwards.

22. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    The forwards picked themselves but if Retallick falls over then we will be in big trouble against the decent Ireland pack.

should be a good one and we get to settle things.
    No doubt Retallick is the best lock in the world, but we're not going to be in big trouble in the forwards if he comes off, Scott Barrett is a really good replacement for him & would do a top job.

23. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    There are still games to play, I think they're saving Crotty and Coles for those (who are both prone to head injuries).

Who will get the first red card? Moody or Whitelock?
    Question is how long until Ireland go for a droppy.

24. Post
    jords wrote:
    Question is how long until Ireland go for a droppy.
    Going by UK teams I'd say about a minute into the game

25. Post
    Ireland isn't part of the UK! *screams in irish*