World Cup 2019 Thread

Chat about all the teams here.

No dick swinging back and forths please

2. Post
    jords wrote:
    eg - Wells and signman debates?

3. Post
    Yes leave that to All Blacks thread, this is about results and team naming and that's it no arguments

4. Post
    jords wrote:
    Chat about all the teams here.

Didn't realise yours was that big, anyway too much info for me

5. Post
    The squad:
    Beauden Barrett
    Jordie Barrett
    Scott Barrett
    George Bridge
    Sam Cane
    Dane Coles
    Liam Coltman
    Ryan Crotty
    Jack Goodhue
    Rieko Ioane
    Luke Jacobson
    Nepo Laulala
    Anton Lienert-Brown
    Atu Moli
    Joe Moody
    Richie Mo'unga
    TJ Perenara
    Kieran Read
    Sevu Reece
    Brodie Retallick
    Ardie Savea
    Aaron Smith
    Ben Smith
    Angus Ta’avao
    Codie Taylor
    Matt Todd
    Patrick Tuipulotu
    Ofa Tuungafasi
    Brad Weber
    Sam Whitelock
    Sonny Bill Williams

6. Post
    Main talking points:

No Franks
    No Laumape but think everyone expected this whether they agree or not
    No Squire

7. Post
    No Laumape is a ****ing joke. Behind only Goodhue for form midfield player this year.

8. Post
    kopkiwi wrote:
    No Laumape is a ****ing joke. Behind only Goodhue for form midfield player this year.
    Unfortunately he didn't perform at AB level...

9. Post
    Gutted for Ngani - hasn't had a bad game in an AB jersey

I'm sure Crotty or SBW will go down at some point

10. Post
    Geez Frank's being dropped is massive! And after squire playing so we'll against Tasman I thought he would be a certain pick especially over Jacobson.

11. Post
    As expected,
    Laumape -> does well against lesser opposition, not enough against top ones, ( gymtrack bully? )
    Franks -> i was thinking about this and he seemed down than before.
    Squire -> Not enough desire imho. I was not surprised they did not pick him no matter what some folk in the NZherald think .

Laumape should keep his fitness up, Crotty and SBW is almost a guarantee to fall over at some point of the tournament. Same with Franks .

We got a Tonga match soon, those collisions will happen.

12. Post
    I have no real problem with Crotty or SBW, but I don't think Laumape hasn't performed against top opposition - when has that been the case? We're lucky to have all 3 of them TBH.

I wonder how our (pretty raw) props will go against a big SA or English pack in the set piece, could be a worry - not concerned about Moody or Laulala but unsure about Ofa and Angus in the scrums

13. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    Main talking points:

No Franks
    No Laumape but think everyone expected this whether they agree or not
    No Squire
    Not surprised about Franks because of his serious ongoing injury, saw a doco recently where he was trying to have his shoulder fixed through a new procedure called stem cell therapy, so can understand that it wasn't worth the risk of taking him.

Yeah, they never wanted to take Laumape, which was always going to be a strange call as he adds a variation to the midfield that the other midfielders don't have.

Not taking Squire is another strange call {unless Squire didn't want to be selected ?} he's shown outstanding form in Mitre 10 Cup games & reckon he's the best number 6.
    Last edited by signman; 28th August 2019 at 1:42 pm.

14. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    As expected,
    Laumape -> does well against lesser opposition, not enough against top ones, ( gymtrack bully? )
    Disagree, he's much more than just a power player that just takes the ball up the guts, has a very handy short kicking game & reads play well, that try he scored against the Crusaders where he chested the ball showed an excellent presence of mind, a lot of players would have tried to use their hands so most likely have knocked it on.

15. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    We got a Tonga match soon, those collisions will happen.
    I don't expect Crotty or SBW to play against Tonga.

This will be a B side with a chance for B Smith and Reiko to redeem themselves and the new guys to have a go...

16. Post
    This is our last match before the WC so would expect them to name their top team.

17. Post
    kopkiwi;11330369s wrote:
    Goodspew can tackle, Laumape cannot.

18. Post
    Laumape is a ball hog also...

Glad they've included a good steady veteran like Todd - he has more than earned it.

19. Post
    lol, always the Canes fans who say Laumape deserves it. I gotta ask why? He's a fantastic super rugby player, but SBW is simply a better test player. Laumape isn't really a physical presence in midfield, a lot of his tries in super rugby come when play gets ragged and he ends up out wide. We don't want him on the wings.

To say he's ahead of Crotty is laughable to me. The Crusaders have won three comps in a row for a reason, these guys are winners.

I hope Rieko will take these weeks to really go hard and get himself ready, this is the best chance he'll get and he needs to be hungry. He doesn't look as fit or as trim as he needs to be.

20. Post
    <N> wrote:
    I hope Rieko will take these weeks to really go hard and get himself ready, this is the best chance he'll get and he needs to be hungry. He doesn't look as fit or as trim as he needs to be.
    The 2017 - R. Ioane was a machine when he came into the international scene.

Gutted for Laumape and O. Franks, but it is what it is the hardship and high standards of the All Blacks.

21. Post
    What some of you are saying about Laumape is ridiculous, yeah I'm a Canes supporter but it's nothing to do with bias stuff, I'm looking at what a good all-round player he is.

HELL KNIGHT - Just because Laumape can make more ground past the advantage line more than the other midfielders doesn't make him a ball hog, he clearly has so much more to his game.

Rebound - Of course he tackles well, all midfielders have to be good tacklers.

<N> - Silly to say he doesn't really have a physical presence in midfield, you don't have to be tall to be a really powerful player, with his build & if he had SBW's height he'd be about 120kg... clearly the Crusaders have won 3 in a row mainly due to how good their tight-five is, giving their backs a great platform to work from, put the Crusaders backline behind a Canes pack & see how well they perform ? Canes have easily had more brilliant backlines than any other team in the comp over the years, but because the forwards are usually pretty poor the Canes suffer big time.

22. Post
    Let the wangs start swinging.

23. Post
    Last edited by jords; 30th August 2019 at 8:16 am.

24. Post
    It's not difficult to analyse how good any player is... if you watch any player for a good period of time in any position it's pretty easy to see where their strengths & weaknesses are.

25. Post
    All Blacks thread please.

I hope SBW choice pays off always liked him, Laumaps should be on call any of the 2F/CNT could drop.