1. Sad

[Help] Workplace bought crappy mobiles!

Hey,

So about 2 months back just before they hired me my workplace brought some really crappy mobile phones (https://www.skinny.co.nz/shop/handsets/skinny-tahi/)

But now they're finding that the phones are super crap in call quality, storage is non existent in that just updating the google apps on there maxes out the storage to where google apps can't even update, OS partition has 0MB as well and touch screen I pretty shitty for doing anything.

I've advised them that even if they spent $20-40 more and got the huawei y5's they'd be far better in all aspects.

Now as a consumer I would go back and Cite CGA as the phones being unfit for their purposes, and get a full refund, but can business do the same?
    I would think it's be the same regardless.

2. Post
    If the phone still makes calls and sends texts / browses web then it's still functioning as well as a $69 phone ever will.

Perhaps suggest work don't buy trash phones if they don't want trash phones? Either way i'd let them sort it. Work pays for my plan, I supply my own phone as it's for personal use too ($250 big spender). Phones that come included with my plan are trash tier, like the ones your workplace has. They may have even got them as part of plans?

/not that helpful, but is anyone surprised?
    Last edited by Fragluton; 29th August 2019 at 10:54 pm.

3. Post
    But its a smart phone so not being able to install apps or update apps is part of it.
    They're on prepay so there's not issue getting them changed

/Yes not very helpful 😒
    I'm having to sort it, which is why i'm asking about CGA

4. Post
    Doubt the CGA applies and even still those crapola phones are advertised to be running Android 5.1 so apps were never going last long, like what the actual fcukary is that!

Can’t be too many of these in your workplace, I mean what sort of business runs prepaid phones for its workers and who’s job is it to top them up?!
    Business plans have far better benefits and longer contracts you can get better phones subsidised.

5. Post
    I would say you're shit out of luck. Serves your company right for being so cheap. For $69, an ornamental shit brick is all anyone could expect really.

You can't expect the retailer to foot the bill for this...

Cut your losses. Buy some decent phones and call it a day.

6. Post
    lol

7. Post
    I'm pretty sure I've seen that phone on sale for like $19

8. Post
    lol @ thinking this is how "fit for purpose" works.

9. Post
    I thought work places would provide plans for anyone using phones not some prepay system.

10. Post
    Those phones are not business grade material, that’s trying to save a buck and now it’s come back and kicked them right in the chops. Notch it up to experience and move on, the company would spend more on trying to fight this and IANAL but I’m pretty sure the CGA doesn’t apply and you’d be laughed out of the DT pretty quick.

11. Post
    Imagine work providing you with Everis laptops from the Warehouse.

12. Post
    huntakillaz wrote:

Now as a consumer I would go back and Cite CGA as the phones being unfit for their purposes, and get a full refund,
    Funniest thing I've read on GPFORUMS all year

13. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    lol @ thinking this is how "fit for purpose" works.
    Ok explain how it works?

14. Post
    GenericUSERNAME wrote:
    Those phones are not business grade material, that’s trying to save a buck and now it’s come back and kicked them right in the chops. Notch it up to experience and move on, the company would spend more on trying to fight this and IANAL but I’m pretty sure the CGA doesn’t apply and you’d be laughed out of the DT pretty quick.
    Yeah i know i told them when i first started that were gonna have problems with these phones. but they were like its fine, now 2 months later they regret it.
    I can't do much but they asked me to look into it and I figured I'd ask because i know its not the same for businesses .

The reason i asked in the first place was because:

https://www.consumerprotection.govt....uarantees-act/

Who is covered by the CGA
    The CGA applies to consumers buying things in New Zealand, and businesses selling products or services in New Zealand.

A consumer is anyone who buys products or services that are ordinarily for personal or household use. The ordinary use may change over time, eg computers are now commonly used for personal use.

Organisations and businesses who buy consumer products or services from other businesses are also entitled to protection under the Act, unless the seller has contracted out of the CGA.

15. Post
    So because they don't perform as well as you'd like, you should get your money back?

Give it a go and see how you get on. I haven't seen you mention that the phones don't work as such. Just that their capability is limited and all the quality of the components is low. If you want to fight this in your free time, unpaid, then go for it. You obviously can't get paid as it wouldn't make financial sense to pay someone to fight for refunds on cheap phones.

How are they even in business, when they don't understand the concept "you get what you pay for"? Yes the call quality is going to be average, yes the storage is going to be limited, the screen quality (including touch) is going to be average to bad. That's just how technology rolls, if you buy the bottom of the barrel devices. They are made from bottom of the barrel parts.
    Last edited by Fragluton; 1st September 2019 at 5:49 pm.

16. Post
    If I knew that about a company before I got hired I'd take it as a massive red flag and move on. If they are cheaping out on phones, what else are they cheaping out on?