Anyone in Melbourne need an IT job? - IT qualification a must.

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

1. Post

Anyone in Melbourne need an IT job? - IT qualification a must.

1st/2nd line support role working for an architecture firm.

I'm after someone who is already based in Melbourne.

55-65k AUD. If you don't have XP but have a qualification then that's fine too.

Must have IT cert(s) or diploma in IT - basically someone who's been training for IT not some schmuck who hasn't invested anything into the industry.

Working with the systems administrator supporting 70-100 users.

Needs to be enthusiastic, calm temperament, not a wanker, have the ability to smile and look people in the eye when speaking.

PM me a link to your CV.

2. Post
    Fakir wrote:
    look people in the eye when speaking.
    Good luck!

3. Post
    I would be a gr8 candidate but I'm not leaving my humble abode.

Hope you find someone suitable that sticks around for the long term.

4. Post
    Galent wrote:
    Good luck!
    I'll settle for someone who uses actual words instead of grunting. Ditch the eye contact part - too confronting.

5. Post
    Lethargic wrote:

Last dude stuck around for 18 months. Left for a Tinder date in Sydney.

6. Post
    Fakir wrote:
    Last dude stuck around for 18 months. Left for a Tinder date in Sydney.
    Lol, bugger.

You need a people person eh? Younger people that have grown up doing Windows Updates can be pretty good candidates if you want to train them up -- just need someone willing to learn and keep for the experience. You won't find someone like that though diggin through CVs in my experience.

I.T. quals are good but doesn't really do much if they can't communicate with clients well. Microsoft stuff can be learned on the job. Quals are for linux, VMware and networking. Microsoft and hardware support, dunno about really needing a qualification as a pre-req for a real assessment. If they're shit .. fire 'em.

Finding the right person for the job is probably pretty hard, but sometimes you have to take a chance. You're in Melbourne though bro, surely it isn't too difficult.

My two cents.
    Last edited by Lethargic; 29th August 2019 at 6:50 pm.

7. Post
    Windows is way harder than linux tbh.

8. Post
    If you need a client facing person, for sure if you have the admins in the background.

Linux is for.. a different kind of person.

9. Post
    I could use a job I suppose?

10. Post
    Lethargic wrote:

I would also be a great candidate, and would move to Melbourne in a heartbeat. But that would take a while, and OP obviously needs someone quickly.

Fakir, best of luck with the search!

11. Post
    whats your policy of socks in the office?

12. Post
    Fakir wrote:
    Must have IT cert(s) or diploma in IT - basically someone who's been training for IT not some schmuck who hasn't invested anything into the industry.
    Why is this necessary?

I got to the position of senior IT engineer and eventually manager without any of that. I achieved that, by learning on the job, from setting up early LANs, and then servers and then server farms and then vitual servers, connected with copper cables, then fibres, then switches, then WANs, and internet VPNs. All self taught, by reading manuals, short courses and studying technology and how they worked.

13. Post
    ^ KiwiTT, it shows that you're willing to do more than the next guy to get into the industry. With the popularity of the IT field these days, its a good marker of how keen you are.

14. Post
    is it? I know many many many people who did bachelor degrees in compsci etc that couldnt code their way out of a wet paper bag

book smarts != life applications

edit: missread what you typed but whatever, my point stands i think. Github repo / evidence of usage > piece of paper

15. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Why is this necessary?
    I understand your angle and you're probably an outlier. I guess this requirement is there to sift out the people who are 'looking for a change' or clutching at straws.

Socks and pants optional when in the office.

16. Post
    I handed in my PhD thesis (studying compsci) a little while back and have been job hunting. Haven't had much success securing anything though, there seems to be literally hundreds of people applying for any IT grad job that shows up and my millions of years at Uni seems more of a liability than anything.

Would you potentially consider someone who isn't living in Melbourne and would need a bit of time to move over and get accommodation etc?

17. Post
    Because when everyone has a piece of paper, everyone is the same.

Be different and demonstrate the ability to actually USE the knowledge and you're already in the top 1% of the pile. Work on passion projects, contribute to open source projects, etc etc. Anything that shows you using that knowledge. I'm sure privoxy has some across the "ive got 85 certs and 72 degrees" people im talking about who can't code their way out of that said wet paper bag.

18. Post
    CoRk wrote:
    I handed in my PhD thesis (studying compsci) a little while back and have been job hunting. Haven't had much success securing anything though, there seems to be literally hundreds of people applying for any IT grad job that shows up and my millions of years at Uni seems more of a liability than anything.

Would you potentially consider someone who isn't living in Melbourne and would need a bit of time to move over and get accommodation etc?
    PM'd.

Being on the ground is everything - especially in a meat and potato role like this.

19. Post
    CoRk wrote:

you would consider relocating for this job, and you have a phd? geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez louise

20. Post
    Well, technically don't have the PhD yet since the thesis is under examination. But I've been applying for several months now and am getting a little desperate.

21. Post
    What was your thesis on if you don't mind me asking? It does sounds tough but you absolutely shouldn't settle for these sort of jobs imo

22. Post
    Temporal queries in RDF.

In hindsight I should have picked something with a cooler elevator pitch, like something in machine learning. Or maybe not done a PhD. Oh well.

Meanwhile there's another rejection email sitting in my inbox, this time from EY. Sigh.

23. Post
    that's a good thing - those big accounting companies are terrible places to work. what sort of roles are you applying for?

24. Post
    Mainly I've been focusing on software development and test positions, but also some cyber security, dba, and data analyst roles. All entry level. I have an interview for a data analyst internship that is down in Wellington next week, though I'm not sure how much more employable such an internship would make me really. I do already have two internships on my CV, though the last was on 2012.

25. Post
    CoRk wrote:
    Mainly I've been focusing on software development and test positions, but also some cyber security, dba, and data analyst roles. All entry level. I have an interview for a data analyst internship that is down in Wellington next week, though I'm not sure how much more employable such an internship would make me really. I do already have two internships on my CV, though the last was on 2012.
    Get out of NZ dude.