Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

1. Post

Vape hysteria is ****ing pathetic. And why do we not have a cycle bridge in Auckland?

If we really cared about the health of our population we'd ban cigarettes and cars and convert all but one lane of the harbour bridge to cycle and pedestrian traffic, changing the direction before and after work for the lazy bus users.

I'm not against the regulation of additives in vape products sold here because some of them are known to be carcinogenic and were definitely used in American vape products. But making people who vape go and sit with the foul and disgusting smokers is no different to ideologies that spawned ghettos in Nazi Germany and the genocide of the Tutsis.

It's driven by a lack of knowledge in this domain. People are all to happy to pump the air full of the shit their cars produce but will wind down their windows to hurl abuse in regard to the chemical nicotine.

Nicotine is addictive, it is an autonomic nervous system stimulant.

The propaganda campaign against smoking is well justified, it costs us immensely (as does the toll cars have on society) but it has resulted in the majority of people thinking nicotine is a bad drug.

If something is addictive, it must be bad right?

No, the answer is: no.

2. Post
    Vapers annoy me less than cyclists if that helps

3. Post
    Ok

4. Post
    making people who vape go and sit with the foul and disgusting smokers is no different to ideologies that spawned ghettos in Nazi Germany and the genocide of the Tutsis.

5. Post
    I don't mind vapers so much, it tends to smell a lot better than that disgusting shit called tobacco.

Vapers are good for a giggle, smokers are just sociopathic ****s.

Also cyclists are good people.

6. Post
    Don't die please.

A 20-year-old man who used to vape every day almost died from a life-threatening lung injury, and ‘vape juice’ might be the culprit
    https://www.insider.com/vaping-lung-...ery-day-2019-8

Vape pen explodes, shattering teen's jaw amid rising concerns over batteries
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...cerns-n1018741

First death linked to vaping reported in Illinois
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49452256

The Impact of E-Cigarettes on the Lung
    https://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/sm...s-on-lung.html

Exploding e-cigarette kills 24-year-old Texas man
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47136678

7. Post
    The only interesting thing on those links is the suggestion of vape products containing these carbonyls, or perhaps thermally decomposing into them.

I've read the same study back when it came out.

The takeaway from it is two fold - vape products should not have these chemicals added, I'm not even sure they do. But they should also not be inhaled over certain temperatures which causes the decomp in the first place. IIRC the temperature was in the 320C range which is extremely high.

8. Post
    It also depends on the materials being heated (specifically the metallurgic composition of the coil and the "cotton") as to what their breaking down temperature is

9. Post
    Why is it you can't even tell some people are vaping, while others create a giant cloud of vapour around them?

The giant cloud seems like an attention grab to be honest.

10. Post
    Vaping is the next smoking, in a few years it will be figured out that burning something into smaller molecules get further into your lungs and cancer you up good. At least it will be vanilla and berry flavoured death rather than tomacco flavoured death.

11. Post
    Also your idea of a cycle and bus only bridge is retarded.
    While i agree with the premise that we need to get more cars off the roads and people onto public transport it just doesnt work for quite a few people, tradies and delivery guys for example.
    Also to reduce cars on the road first you need a viable and reliable alternative to push people to, we dont currently have this.

12. Post
    MatthewPerrin wrote:
    making people who vape go and sit with the foul and disgusting smokers is no different to ideologies that spawned ghettos in Nazi Germany and the genocide of the Tutsis..
    maybe you should try and breathe some oxygen between your vape rips

13. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Don't die please.
    Gonna be a devils advocate here: two of those articles are about poor quality batteries which speaks only of cheaply made gadgets and not the dangers of vaping specifically. Another two articles are connected to the same "mystery" speight of illnesses and there is no definitive conclusion as to what caused it, but from what I gather, the leading theory is contaminated vaping liquids.

My main concern with vaping is the lack of data we have about the long term effects of it, and how young non-smokers are adopting vaping when the risks are still unclear.

14. Post
    I think it is fair enough that I don't have to inhale your second hand vape.

Comparing to Nazi Germany, you're just lucky this forum doesn't have an anti Godwin's law stance.

At the very least you are being a bit melodramatic.

15. Post
    Have faith in darwin.

16. Post
    I just don't like the fact vapors seem to think they are immune to where the smoke *shrug*

17. Post
    Putting things in your lungs is bad. They're just not equipped to deal with garbage. Thus I class vaping in the same line as smoking, not as bad != good.

For example, I'm all for legalising weed, but not via smoking. They don't give you a bowl of opium to smoke in the hospital for pain relief, they give you morphine.

All for edibles, your digestive tract is a master at dealing with trash.

18. Post
    Also, lol on the Harbour Bridge rant.

The bridge goes by the city with city exits, it doesn't go to the city. Might as well say convert the entire highway one to pedestrian.

Want to go to Wellingon? On your bicycle. If you think you need a car for that, you're just not healthy enough.

19. Post
    we should have a "i know better and if you do not follow me, you deserve to die" competition. Oh wait,, we already do..

20. Post
    I think he has a point about car exhaust particulates though.

Auckland, from a distance, has a nice grey smog hugging it. Certainly nothing like Beijing or some other deadly polluted city, but damn, you city dwellers and workers are breathing that shit in all the time. That's gotta suck.

As for vaping. Lame. Either smoke or don't. I hate the sweet smelling stuff. Last gig I went to I will always remember smelling like blueberry candy. Sounds nice, but it's sickening after a while tbh.

21. Post
    they used to say the same thing about cigarettes

22. Post
    yes smog is bad, but what can you do? EVs are incredible expensive and lets be honest there are no alternatives for the poorer folk or business using Vans etc and they are the main group who use older , worst performing vehicles. They also happen to the ones who cannot use public transport effectively due to location, distance and the cheaper areas being furthermost. You know, those greenies wanting to save the planet should put their STEM hat on and build us a better cheaper battery, they will not only save the planet AND become multi billionaires at the same time.

Effective public transport would be great as well, but the rest of country is not gonna fork out the billions, nay 10s of billions required to completely overhaul the roading system, subsidize a MRT or LRT system , buy significant portions of private land etc etc etc( and why should they, money spent in Auckland does little for those in Hamilton, Wellington etc ) . It all comes down to voting of course, the political party which realizes it REALLY needs Auckland voters would do it. But with a fractured voting base which certain suburbs etc voting red or blue regardless of what is happening , the politicians will just keep kicking the can down the road as it is a difficult political sell.

23. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    yes smog is bad, but what can you do?
    Well, you could wear a mask?

24. Post
    s0cks wrote:
    As for vaping. Lame. Either smoke or don't. I hate the sweet smelling stuff. Last gig I went to I will always remember smelling like blueberry candy. Sounds nice, but it's sickening after a while tbh.
    It is meant to be a safer alternative to smoking cigarettes, preferably a stepping stone to quitting. That's a good thing. I'll take sickening blueberry clouds in public over acrid plumes of eye watering smoke any day.

25. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    Why is it you can't even tell some people are vaping, while others create a giant cloud of vapour around them?

The giant cloud seems like an attention grab to be honest.
    The giant clouds are a result of having strong and healthy lungs