1. Post

Why am I experiencing 1/4 of my download speed?

I consistently used to get 4Mbps, now I'm only getting 1Mbps for the last week. ISP say it either internal problem with me or I can log a fault with chorus.

2. Post
    How do you get down to 4Mbps in the first place?

3. Post
    Log a fault with chorus then, if you don't think it can be a problem at your end.

4. Post
    Anroid !!!

5. Post
    They said that they fixed the problem, yet I'm still experiencing the same reduction in speed since last Wednesday. No disconnections so far at least.
    I did send them a follow up email, but really, what is for this reduction in speed? Did my ISP just decide to chop my speed? It make no sense.

6. Post
    What was the "problem"? Assuming you're on copper, try disconnecting phones and everything else from the phone line. Check what speed the router is seeing, which should be in the router console @ something like 192.168.1.1 whatever your gateway is

7. Post
    umm, they defined "fixed" as, we fixed the problem, the problem being no problem on our end.
    Technician coming on Thursday. Disconnecting like crazy tonight. Sucks when I need internet for work.

8. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    How do you get down to 4Mbps in the first place?
    can't be anywhere in new zealand, surely

9. Post
    You should tell us what type of connection it is then we can provide better guidance.

10. Post
    OP probably means 4MBps unless hes living in some hick town in the middle of nowhere lol.

11. Post
    holly shit, so they apparently replaced some line outside (I wasn't home), and now I'm getting 10.4Mbps and most importantly no more disconnections. 10.4Mbps is a lot coming from a life time of 2-4Mbps over the years.

12. Post
    Nice work, a good boost too.

Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    OP probably means 4MBps unless hes living in some hick town in the middle of nowhere lol.
    I stayed with someone that didn't have fiber to their property, not even VDSL as an option I don't think. Living the dream with 10Mb on a good day.

13. Post
    Anroid wrote:
    holly shit, so they apparently replaced some line outside (I wasn't home), and now I'm getting 10.4Mbps and most importantly no more disconnections. 10.4Mbps is a lot coming from a life time of 2-4Mbps over the years.
    Yeah a lot of people really dont realise that their copper connections are degraded.

When I had VDSL put into my old house it was 130Mbps / 55Mbps sync rate, with a connect rate of 70/30 (the limit of the VDSL card in the cabinet). One day Chorus techs was digging outside and it dropped my speed to about 10/2 and a lot of disconnections. I complained about it and got a text saying it was "Fixed", nothing changed. Had them check again, got a second text saying it was "Fixed"...the disconnections stopped but still only getting about 30/2 which most people wouldnt notice. I escalated it and it became a managed case, guy came out to see me and did some testing between the cabinet and the pole outside (where I said they had been digging)...he re-terminated at the pole and boom, full speed again.

Glad most of its going to FTTH these days which generally means it either works or it doesn't, much better consistency in service.

14. Post
    none of this settling for fibre to the node bullshit

/glares at Australia

15. Post
    B|ind-Reaper* wrote:
    none of this settling for fibre to the node bullshit

/glares at Australia

I have a good FTTN connection (we get pretty much full speed even at peak) but it's not gigabit eh