1. Post

Power cable for amp?

Bit of an odd question, but I am trying to sell my 4x100w kit amp and have been powering it by wiring a PC PSU into it, which does work fine, it however puts off a lot of potential buyers. Im trying to find out what kind of power cable it takes and where I could get one. I have been trying all of my laptop cables but none seem to fit, nor do i have any idea what spec input it should take.

I have one very similar to this, you can see the power in socket but thats all I hva eto go off.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/WONDOM-4-X-...kAAOSwgN5Zpmi7

2. Post
    I assume the wire terminal next to the DC socket is what you've been using? First thing you'd want to know is how much current it draws under load. Having said that, most laptop power supplies could probably handle it. It might be a risk, but you could try one of those universal laptop power supplies that come with half a dozen or so different sized plugs.

Assuming it takes 12v DC
    Last edited by B|ind-Reaper*; 27th September 2019 at 1:03 pm.

3. Post
    Thanks both of you! Those ones on ali seem to vary in voltage heaps, will try figure out what its supposed to take.

4. Post
    Ballistica wrote:
    Thanks both of you! Those ones on ali seem to vary in voltage heaps, will try figure out what its supposed to take.
    Yea the aux outputs on a PSU are mostly 12V so thats probably what you're after. Laptop power supplies do differ a bit, anywhere between 5-18V these days. Knowing what voltage it takes is important, so is current. If you got a 12V PSU rated at 3A. But the amp chugs through 4A under load, you'll end up with a faulty PSU sooner rather than later.

5. Post
    B|ind-Reaper* wrote:
    Yea the aux outputs on a PSU are mostly 12V so thats probably what you're after. Laptop power supplies do differ a bit, anywhere between 5-18V these days. Knowing what voltage it takes is important, so is current. If you got a 12V PSU rated at 3A. But the amp chugs through 4A under load, you'll end up with a faulty PSU sooner rather than later.
    Looking at the PCB itself it says 10-30v, I assume I'm safe in that range?

6. Post
    4x100w kit amp
    So you need a 400W power supply .

Most laptop PSU's are approx 19v 65W (or 90W) . It will work, its not suitable.