1. Post

Computer won't start...

https://youtu.be/lP_EeCQeQz0

Hi

Any ideas? PSU or motherboard or..? Also if I take this to get repairs in Christchurch, where would you recommend?

Thanks

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

2. Post
    Start by removing HDD, gpu, etc

3. Post
    A) Clean that dust out you filth wizard.
    B) Remove the dvd drive, who needs one, could cause that noise
    C) Remove HDD's after that.
    D) Post back what happens.

The sound is pretty mechanical, so remove all bits that can make those noises and go from there.

4. Post
    I've cleaned a lot of dust out but will have to get some compressed air - the heat sink is thick with dust

The DVD drive was causing the noise, but removing it doesn't stop the restarts. I've removed the hdds, to no avail, and the ram too just to see, but no luck...

5. Post
    if you can try a with a different PSU, go for that option. Maybe ask a friend/family member.

6. Post
    itch wrote:
    I've cleaned a lot of dust out but will have to get some compressed air - the heat sink is thick with dust

The DVD drive was causing the noise, but removing it doesn't stop the restarts. I've removed the hdds, to no avail, and the ram too just to see, but no luck...

I've seen a pc die from dust and be revived by compressed air, hopefully that's it.

7. Post
    Does it have onboard video you can use? If so, remove the GPU and try that. I'd say either PSU or motherboard at fault, if had to guess.
    Last edited by Fragluton; 4th September 2019 at 12:39 pm.

8. Post
    I had no luck, so took it into the shop. It turns out I need to get a new mobo and cpu. Possibly a new PSU too. I've posted in the suggested builds thread for ideas.

Sigh

9. Post
    its pretty easy for a shop to say yep dead mobo/cpu/psu because they couldnt/wouldnt diagnose each one independantly.
    Normally the case with older systems as shops dont have the older boards/cpu's to test them against.

10. Post
    Agree on PSU looking like most likely culprit. Looks like something is tripping a breaker or shorting inside of it.

11. Post
    I know I am late, but mine recently did this with a bad stick of RAM.

12. Post
    focus wrote:
    its pretty easy for a shop to say yep dead mobo/cpu/psu because they couldnt/wouldnt diagnose each one independantly.
    Normally the case with older systems as shops dont have the older boards/cpu's to test them against.
    ya...your spark plugs....they were um.....dirty

13. Post
    I second ram. I took my ram out...put it back..computer ran fine for another year or two. Unplug all the things...plug em back in one at a time.

14. Post
    my money's on the PSU

the only other thing that i've ever seen cause that kind of BS was an incorrectly installed CPU

- - - Updated - - -

..or dust bunnies shorting something on the mobo. also check for exploded caps