Skunkworx Computers or Skamworx Computers?

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)
Results 51 to 75 of 225

  1. Post
    #51
    Bank transfers... ugh please use debit cards people so you have the chargeback safety net.

    So you’ve now given money to a store that has no cash flow and is in debt and can’t pay you back.

    Not to mention there are several stores in Auckland who could have done a proper job sooner and cheaper.

    Skunkworx is definitely at fault but sometimes it’s astonishing how people get themselves into these situations.

  2. Post
    #52
    At which point did you take this to the police, due to it being a case of fraud? What did they say, and why are they taking so long to sort this out?

  3. Post
    #53
    Fragluton wrote:
    He has little chance now. Clearly the guy was floating his business or other expenses with the money paid for the PC.
    Yeah going by the email logs it sounds like the owner was trying to run the business and it was not a complete scam.
    But the business has cash flow and credit problems and the owner is using customer purchases to fund stock for older customer purchases like a rolling credit facility, topped up with credit from their bank. If OP goes the full legal route it may involve the business shutting down and him not getting any further money back since the bank would be first in line as a secured creditor and customers are just unsecured creditors.

    The retailer review thread may need to be updated to warn people from buying from skunkworx.
    This situation remind of that other retailer that shut down about 10 years ago (I forget their name) - but a bunch of people on these forums lost money that day.
    Last edited by SirGrim; 9th September 2019 at 11:03 pm.

  4. Post
    #54
    SirGrim wrote:
    This situation remind of that other retailer that shut down about 10 years ago (I forget their name) - but a bunch of people on these forums lost money that day.
    I'm still bitter, though myself and my friend only lost a few hundred dollars. I feel real bad for OP, but I agree dispute la tribunal at the very least, but it does sound like there are bigger financial issues going on.

  5. Post
    #55
    SirGrim wrote:
    Yeah going by the email logs it sounds like the owner was trying to run the business and it was not a complete scam.
    But the business has cash flow and credit problems and the owner is using customer purchases to fund stock for older customer purchases like a rolling credit facility, topped up with credit from their bank. If OP goes the full legal route it may involve the business shutting down and him not getting any further money back since the bank would be first in line as a secured creditor and customers are just unsecured creditors.

    The retailer review thread may need to be updated to warn people from buying from skunkworx.
    This situation remind of that other retailer that shut down about 10 years ago (I forget their name) - but a bunch of people on these forums lost money that day.
    C1 Shopping Mall.

  6. Post
    #56
    SirGrim wrote:
    Bank transfers... ugh please use debit cards people so you have the chargeback safety net.

    So you’ve now given money to a store that has no cash flow and is in debt and can’t pay you back.

    Not to mention there are several stores in Auckland who could have done a proper job sooner and cheaper.

    Skunkworx is definitely at fault but sometimes it’s astonishing how people get themselves into these situations.
    Before giving the money I checked the following:
    1. The business existed
    2. The Pricespy review was 5 stars when I bought the PC.
    3. There was no indication that the business had cashflow problems.
    As I mentioned earlier, the intention was to support new NZ businesses. That was my only 'fault'.
    If he would have told me the truth probably I would even have tried to help him further (yep, I know, I am an idiot). And I did try to help him, by dividing the refund in two separated instalments. He signed an agreement as well. But, instead of appreciate my help, patience and flexibility, he thought that it could fool me even more. He mis-interpreted my kindness with foolness. That was a big mistake.
    The only way for him to get out of this without paying anyone is by declaring bankruptcy. That is a even higher price to pay. Yep, I may have lost $9K. I will survive. But he will lose more, much more. I am sure he is aware of it.
    Last edited by antan; 24th September 2019 at 8:50 am.

  7. Post
    #57
    SirGrim wrote:
    Yeah going by the email logs it sounds like the owner was trying to run the business and it was not a complete scam.
    But the business has cash flow and credit problems and the owner is using customer purchases to fund stock for older customer purchases like a rolling credit facility, topped up with credit from their bank. If OP goes the full legal route it may involve the business shutting down and him not getting any further money back since the bank would be first in line as a secured creditor and customers are just unsecured creditors.

    The retailer review thread may need to be updated to warn people from buying from skunkworx.
    This situation remind of that other retailer that shut down about 10 years ago (I forget their name) - but a bunch of people on these forums lost money that day.
    Good point. I added it in the PriceSpy review. Thanks. However, PriceSpy asked me to remove it.
    Last edited by antan; 24th September 2019 at 8:52 am.

  8. Post
    #58
    iRoN wrote:
    Apparently have a storefront in Christchurch on Stanmore Road. Tempted to take a look for laughs - pretty rough area of town, suits their business practices I guess.
    Unit 4 138 Stanmore Road - looks like a residential unit.

    OP's money probably went on paying Darryl Bruce Smith's rent.

  9. Post
    #59
    Who the hell would drop $10k on a PC with some unknown company? Especially one with the name Skunkworx.

    Also never use bank transfers. Never.

  10. Post
    #60
    BorgWarner wrote:
    Unit 4 138 Stanmore Road - looks like a residential unit.

    OP's money probably went on paying Darryl Bruce Smith's rent.
    Classic Darryl

  11. Post
    #61
    Does anyone know who skunkworkz is

  12. Post
    #62
    BorgWarner wrote:
    Unit 4 138 Stanmore Road - looks like a residential unit.

    OP's money probably went on paying Darryl Bruce Smith's rent.
    Can confirm this is the address I was given and shipped back to.

  13. Post
    #63
    looks like pricespy is trying to protect these scammers Skunkworx

  14. Post
    #64
    They are investigating it all, guess that takes time. If it's all true, doubt they'll be on Pricespy long.

    Still keen to know what the police are doing about it.

  15. Post
    #65
    Kog wrote:
    looks like pricespy is trying to protect these scammers Skunkworx
    What happens with any review site. They want to make it a service that sellers want to use so they do offer them the benefit of the doubt first.

  16. Post
    #66
    Well hopefully if someone googles their name this thread appears high up on the search results

  17. Post
    #67
    You're spending 10k on a PC and they haven't delivered since you ordered in May?! That's 4 months.

    The time for playing nice passed a long time ago. Get the cops involved or pay them a visit in person.

  18. Post
    #68
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    You're spending 10k on a PC and they haven't delivered since you ordered in May?! That's 4 months.

    The time for playing nice passed a long time ago. Get the cops involved or pay them a visit in person.
    +1

    Police should be involved at this point.

  19. Post
    #69
    Doubt the police will do much, they'll still call it a civil matter and tell you to talk to a lawyer.

  20. Post
    #70
    pyronical wrote:
    Doubt the police will do much, they'll still call it a civil matter and tell you to talk to a lawyer.
    Ah yeah, that's a fair point.

  21. Post
    #71
    Isn't fraud a criminal issue?

  22. Post
    #72
    Hope everything gets sorted for you. Was close to buying a monitor from these guys until i saw this post

  23. Post
    #73
    Fragluton wrote:
    Isn't fraud a criminal issue?
    It probably depends on intent etc, could be hard to prove there was intent for or against

  24. Post
    #74

    Almost got me...!

    Hey guys,

    Just thought i'd say a big thank you for this thread.

    I've been in contact with Darryl at skunkworkx via email. He was giving me some advice on choosing a new GPU. He said he had the one I'm after on order and offered a really good price if I pre-ordered.
    Anyway i thought I'd better google the company and check reviews before I made any payment to his account.

    You mofo's just stopped me from getting scammed if this is all true. So thank you!

    Remember, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck. It probably a duck. lol
    Last edited by nFLIKT; 19th September 2019 at 11:03 am.

  25. Post
    #75
    Haha, epic.

    Thread is working as intended.

    Hope you're reading this Darryl.