Skunkworx Computers or Skamworx Computers?

Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
(3 votes)
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... Last

1. Post

Skunkworx Computers or Skamworx Computers?

Reached this thread via Google? The short version is: Skunkworx Computers is confirmed as a scam, do not buy from them.
    ----

Hi all,
    I bought a high-end computer (~S10,000)from them in May 2019. They never delivered the computer. They never provided the full refund. After many frustrating emails they refunded just 10% of it. They are still withholding the rest ($9K) since May. I have reported them to the NZ Commerce Commision and Dispute Tribunal. The Court hearing is set in October. I cannot buy any other computer because I cannot afford it until I get my money back. Apparently, considering the reviews in PriceSpy, I am not the only one who had such as frustrating experience. They are a disgrace and should not be allowed to sell anything.

Skunkworx Computers LTD - https://skunkworxcomputers.co.nz/
    High-end/Custom-built computer paid $9981.38 (20 May 2019)
    Purchase experience: 1 (If I could use a negative number I would)
    Support Experience: 1 (If I could use a negative number I would)
    Last edited by pyronical; 5th November 2019 at 3:21 pm.

2. Post
    Man f that, that would make me so angry.

Although I am surprised you paid them $10k, with that kind of budget why wouldnt you go somewhere reputable like CL?

3. Post
    Have you tried a bank charge back? If you paid using a debit/credit cards - call your bank, explain the situation - in 2 weeks you should have all your money back - then buy your new computer from Computer Lounge

I've had to do one charge back before and it worked mint, now I just buy everything using the card and never a bank transfer. If anything goes wrong and the retailer is not helpful, charge back and hurt them where it stings.

Just beware retailers hate chargebacks and they'll likely close your account or other such rubbish after you get your money back. For instance companies like Sony will ban your PSN account if you do a chargeback, because they are salty.

4. Post
    If I was paying 10k for a system, and didn't know about the Retailer rating system on here, i'd stick to buying in person from a local shop. I can't understand the logic of paying that much money out to a company you know nothing about.

Is it even a real system? Most expensive, water cooled system they list is ~7k.

Good luck with disputes I guess. What made you shop with them in the first place?

brand wrote:
    Speaking of which I might as well make it official...
    Did you buy a quality screen after all that?

5. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    If I was paying 10k for a system, and didn't know about the Retailer rating system on here, i'd stick to buying in person from a local shop. I can't understand the logic of paying that much money out to a company you know nothing about.

Is it even a real system? Most expensive, water cooled system they list is ~7k.

Good luck with disputes I guess. What made you shop with them in the first place?

Did you buy a quality screen after all that?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quote.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	227196

6. Post
    That's a beast!

They are clearly just scamming, steal as much as they can then disappear perhaps? If multiple people haven't received their stuff, it's the only conclusion I can come to.

7. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    Man f that, that would make me so angry.

Although I am surprised you paid them $10k, with that kind of budget why wouldnt you go somewhere reputable like CL?
    The intent was to help and support new Kiwi companies. I have an IT security business myself. Obviously, I was wrong. The PC was commissioned mainly for work (AI/ML) related reasons, but with a top RTX2080 TI I would have also found the time to use it for awesome games. I have lost a good contract because of them. Basically, they are attempting to steal my (and few others) money.
    I did check their reputation. At the time of buying the PC it was 5 stars.
    https://pricespy.co.nz/store.php?f=8554

To be honest, I am not sure what they got in mind. They have broken numerous CGA requirements, they will go to court, reported to the Commerce Commision, a customer who had similar experience reported them to the Police. Their business will go down... All this for $10k?

Views:	44 
ID:	227197
    Last edited by antan; 6th September 2019 at 3:33 pm.

8. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    That's a beast!

They are clearly just scamming, steal as much as they can then disappear perhaps? If multiple people haven't received their stuff, it's the only conclusion I can come to.
    That's why I am posting this. I don't want other people going through this S%$#...

9. Post
    antan wrote:
    That's why I am posting this. I don't want other people going through this S%$#...
    Have updated the OP of the experiences thread

10. Post
    Interestingly this exact thing happened to me and a friend from a PC retailer here in NZ many years ago. We never got our money back sadly, they took off overseas with everyones money. Hopefully that doesnt happen to you.

11. Post
    I thought that name sounded familiar. My review is on this page:
    https://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/2...ailers/page160

I will never go near them again.

12. Post
    Oh wow they have heaps of feedback on PriceSpy now. When I bought they only had one and it was 5 star. I left them 1 star and they complained to PriceSpy and had it removed.

I paid via PayPal and PayPal refunded me.

13. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Oh wow they have heaps of feedback on PriceSpy now. When I bought they only had one and it was 5 star. I left them 1 star and they complained to PriceSpy and had it removed.

I paid via PayPal and PayPal refunded me.
    Yep, they keep adding fake 5 stars review to balance the real 1 star ones. If I may suggest, it would be useful to add your one star review in PriceSpy again. People must be warned.

14. Post
    Good luck OP

15. Post
    antan wrote:
    Yep, they keep adding fake 5 stars review to balance the real 1 star ones. If I may suggest, it would be useful to add your one star review in PriceSpy again. People must be warned.
    Actually now that you mention it they did that for mine, maybe that's why PriceSpy removed mine because everything but the first one disappeared.

Just reread my review and it actually turned into a massive shitfest after that.

Monday came around and no Courier or contact. I contacted them and they sent me a tracking number which said it was picked up on Monday. So I reported it to PayPal which couldn't get much information from them either except them saying they had lots of happy customers and that it was shipped Friday. Then it was dropped on my doorstep Tuesday while I was at work so I couldn't refuse the Courier. So I shipped it back and they called FastWay and redirected it back to me, refusing to take it back (proving they could not only redirect couriers, but could even redirect mine) but then PayPal refunded me and they called FastWay and had it redirected back to them.

So they were technically going to supply the goods (probably, maybe my contact on Friday actually made it happen), but well after the promised date and after they were needed (the weekend), then they lied about me being able to ship them back and get my refund, and proved they were perfectly capable of redirecting a courier (if it had been picked up when they said it was on Friday, albeit the tracking said it wasn't picked up til Monday which was born out by it being delivered on Tuesday).

Looking at the OP and my experience it seems like once they have your money, they'll probably deliver, eventually. But they'll break the hell out of contracts, blame you, not accept any fault, and make no remedy to fix it or allow you to get your money back.

16. Post
    Maybe re add your review?

Have left feedback on pricespy saying it might not be in their best interests to remove reviews when it looks like the store is "potentially" ripping people off. Will see if they get back to me or not.
    How many reviews under review does a store normally have, they look to have way too many.

17. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Maybe re add your review?

Have left feedback on pricespy saying it might not be in their best interests to remove reviews when it looks like the store is "potentially" ripping people off. Will see if they get back to me or not.
    How many reviews under review does a store normally have, they look to have way too many.
    Yeah, will do, although I see OPs was removed as well (found his easily enough). So I don't hold high hopes for it.

18. Post
    2 litres of coolant for a 1 block + 360 rad loop? Let alone paying $150 for it!! Also, $370 for a pump/res combo?! I cant even sell my pump res combo on TM for $130 lol

19. Post
    ^You beat me to it, talk about overpriced

20. Post
    I like how "Dion" is actively updating their review to mention the trolls. Because that's what legitimate reviewers do, go back occasionally to check other reviews on a store they rate as "perfect".

21. Post
    Where are they located? We should pay them a visit

22. Post
    mofozilla wrote:
    2 litres of coolant for a 1 block + 360 rad loop? Let alone paying $150 for it!! Also, $370 for a pump/res combo?! I cant even sell my pump res combo on TM for $130 lol
    There is a lot of weird shit in that build. The water cooling parts look expensive - 2 litres + concentrate for a single block & radiator lol? A loop without watercooling the gpu lol? 1600w psu, lolwhat, $46 for 1m tubing, whatwhat?

Seriously, these guys make ComputerLounge look cheap - only $259 for a pump/res D5 combo, but Skamworks is $370? uh ok then
    https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/sho...ved-cable-pump

And no reason why that builds needs more than a 1000w psu and even if you water cooled the GPU as well, only 1 Litre of coolant is needed, not 2 Liters + concentrate. Reminds me of a car dealership that will charge a customer for 7 liters of oil when the car only takes 4 liters
    Last edited by SirGrim; 6th September 2019 at 7:58 pm.

23. Post
    Yea I'm running a water-cooled gpu, cpu/vrm block with a 120mm rad & 360mm rad running into an ek dual bay reservoir and use pretty much spot on 1l of coolant, using 2l is crazy

Also I got primochill vue coolant dhl'd here in 3 days for cheaper than that coolant

-e-I just realised that's thermaltake coolant so is probably close to "retail" for it (considering the size of the purchase surely there should be at least some discount), but that line underneath it has me chuckling 52 bucks for a $5 bottle of concentrate

-e-e- the fittings on that quote are thermaltake soft tube compression fittings but the tubing is pteg(sic) hard tube, a++ cohesive build
    Last edited by St4lk3r; 7th September 2019 at 12:30 am.

24. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    Where are they located? We should pay them a visit
    Apparently have a storefront in Christchurch on Stanmore Road. Tempted to take a look for laughs - pretty rough area of town, suits their business practices I guess.

25. Post
    everyone: SuPpOrT lOcAl BuSiNeSsEs!!

Local businesses:

Views:	134 
ID:	227196