1. Post

Monolithic cladding, would you ever?

Hello,

I'm currently looking for a new house, coming across alot with monolithic cladding.

Considering the leaking home business, would you ever consider it? Anyone have any insights in what to do before proceeding?

I've had a look through sorted and they have a decent write up, but curious if anyone has any experience?

2. Post
    I think some of them are built well. You can always factor in the cost of a re-clad to bargain down a price.

3. Post
    Depends how old. Some will be poorly designed, some will be built with the previous poor designs fixed. I think they used to use untreated timber and potentially even no cavity. Now things have cavities and use only treated timber.

If old, i'd stick with brick and soffits.

4. Post
    Get them checked by a building surveyor.

Most builders reports are complete garbage. You can only trust an independent report from a building surveyor that YOU have engaged. Do not rely upon a 'builders' report, or one supplied by the vendor or agent. If not engaged by you they have no obligation to you, as per their disclaimers in the report.

You'd want to be very sure as to the condition of the building before you buy.

And when you go to sell it, you'll get asked all the questions asked of you, that you are asking now. Even if they are completely fine, there's still the stigma.

To my mind, if you're not in the building game, avoid.

5. Post
    For me personally, nope. Solid brick is what I'd look for.

Even if it's not leaking at the time your building inspector inspect it - you need to factor in it's on-going maintenance costs.

6. Post
    You don't want 'solid' brick in NZ. That's how you die in an earthquake You're probably referring to brick veneer as in single skin brick cladding, which is our defacto brick method for the last 50 odd years

7. Post
    The plot thickens, the house was re-cladded 7 years ago but they have lost all records of it.

Going to check with the council if there are any records of it. Unsure if you need consent to reclad however so maybe there would be none.

Gut feeling at the moment is to avoid said house.

8. Post
    You would typically need consent yes.

What's the address?

9. Post
    Not keeping the records of your house being reclad is either really stupid, or trying to hide something.
    Last edited by Fragluton; 10th September 2019 at 3:58 pm.

10. Post
    Exactly this.

11. Post
    Depends what sort of monolithic cladding. The plaster over poly stuff I wouldn't touch. Texture coated harditex on a simple building (sensible eaves, flashing etc) I have no issue with.

My house was like this but was not a leaker. We did reclad recently however in Linea as we built an extension in Linea and it made sense to recladding the existing house to match. Pulling off all the old cladding revealed a bone dry frame with zero moisture ingress over the 17 years since it was built.

12. Post
    Esprit wrote:
    Depends what sort of monolithic cladding. The plaster over poly stuff I wouldn't touch. Texture coated harditex on a simple building (sensible eaves, flashing etc) I have no issue with.

My house was like this but was not a leaker. We did reclad recently however in Linea as we built an extension in Linea and it made sense to recladding the existing house to match. Pulling off all the old cladding revealed a bone dry frame with zero moisture ingress over the 17 years since it was built.
    I bet that was a relief.

13. Post
    Didn't have any worries beforehand because the house didn't have any of the telltale signs. It was basically a box with a roof, no details where water could get in anyway. I think a leaky house is usually down to a number of factors, cladding is only one liege of the puzzle

14. Post
    one_red_god wrote:
    You would typically need consent yes.

What's the address?
    10 Cumberland Rise, Taradale, Napier

15. Post
    Interesting.

If you can't verify there was a consent, you've got no idea if they appropriately dealt with any timber within the building that may have been exposed to moisture etc.

If someone hasn't kept records of what was likely a 100k plus reno, i'd be very wary .

That said, if there is a consent, and inspection records, a CCC on the property file etc, then it could be ok. Do some digging with the council

16. Post
    UniformTurtle wrote:
    10 Cumberland Rise, Taradale, Napier
    I'm not terribly familiar with monolithic cladding, but I thought that was always big flat sheets - that house looks to have weatherboards?

Either way, the street view version of it from 2010 looks exactly the same as 2015 - so if it was reclad, it was exactly like for like.

17. Post
    So 26 Cumberland is on trademe and is monolithic - is that it?

It looks like it may have been redone. There are cracks and bulging (eg: around the burgler alarm strobe) in the old streetview that arn't there in the new or the listing photos.

18. Post
    I think the question is about the reclad itself and the documentation, not whether it was done or not. I wouldn't trust a reclad with no documentation, no matter how good it looks. No one else will either, not worth the hassle and potential financial loss.