1. Smile

Possible upgrade

I'm playing a game on steam called Between the stars and during loading (i think it's the loading screen between solar systems) my frames go down to 20 or less sometimes.

I'm wondering if i upgraded what would serve the game better?

My specs
    Intel Core I5 8500 (3Ghz/4.1Ghz - 6 core, 9MB cache, 65w)
    Noctua NH-U12S - CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX motherboard
    Corsair 16GB DDR4 2666mhz CL16 (2x8GB)
    Samsung Evo 500GB M.2 SSD
    Western Digital Black 1TB sata 64MB cache
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx 7.1 (PCI-E)
    Fractal Define R5 Black Window with 1x Corsair AF120 Case Fan added
    Corsair RM550X modular PSU
    LG 24X DVD Writer SATA
    game specs

Minimum:
    Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    OS: Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
    Processor: Intel Core i3-4330 @ 3.50GHz / AMD FX-4330
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: GeForce GTX 660 Ti / Radeon R9 270X
    DirectX: Version 10
    Storage: 5 GB available space

Recommended:
    Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    OS: Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
    Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz / AMD FX-6300 Six-Core
    Memory: 16 GB RAM
    Graphics: GeForce GTX 1060 / Radeon RX 470
    DirectX: Version 10
    Storage: 5 GB available space
    I'm thinking either video card or CPU.

2. Post
    Is the game installed on the hard drive or SSD?

3. Smile
    BorgWarner wrote:
    Is the game installed on the hard drive or SSD?
    On the WD black. (hard drive)

Edit--

I'll move it to my SSD and try it, BBL.

4. Smile
    Just moved it to my SSD and the loading is quicker but the graphics between sectors still goes to about 25 FPS.

5. Post
    Use the task manager performance monitor during these 'loading screens' and tell us what you see, does your CPU or GPU spike? It may well be the game itself and not your hardware.

6. Smile
    Ballistica wrote:
    Use the task manager performance monitor during these 'loading screens' and tell us what you see, does your CPU or GPU spike? It may well be the game itself and not your hardware.
    oh ok, Just tried it and my cpu and gpu are two thirds being used. (video being slightly higher than the cpu but not at max)

Edit--

And yeah my cpu spikes but my video is running a continuous speed.

7. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    oh ok, Just tried it and my cpu and gpu are two thirds being used. (video being slightly higher than the cpu but not at max)

Edit--

And yeah my cpu spikes but my video is running a continuous speed.
    Your current CPU isnt weak by any standards, though there are better chips available. If its that spike thats casuing the drop id say thats its probably more the way the game is loading everything all at once than anything that slightly better hardware would improve. How long do these drops to low frames last?

8. Smile
    Ballistica wrote:
    Your current CPU isnt weak by any standards, though there are better chips available. If its that spike thats casuing the drop id say thats its probably more the way the game is loading everything all at once than anything that slightly better hardware would improve. How long do these drops to low frames last?
    When i move the mouse it lasts a few seconds until i stop moving it,

My video card drivers are version 430.64 should i maybe update them?

9. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    When i move the mouse it lasts a few seconds until i stop moving it,

My video card drivers are version 430.64 should i maybe update them?
    Sorry im not really familair witht he game but the slowdowns only happen when you move the mouse? and only happen during the loading screen? Do you need to move the mouse during the loading screen?

And as a general rule you should always keep your graphics drivers updated bar any major bugs. You should also make sure no other resource hogging programs are also running in the background.

10. Post

11. Smile
    Ballistica wrote:
    Sorry im not really familair witht he game but the slowdowns only happen when you move the mouse? and only happen during the loading screen? Do you need to move the mouse during the loading screen?
    Yeah i don't need to move the mouse and it happened in another part of the game but that resolved itself somehow.

And as a general rule you should always keep your graphics drivers updated bar any major bugs. You should also make sure no other resource hogging programs are also running in the background.
    Yeah I'll update my graphics card drivers, one of the updates noted a performance increase.

Thanks i think it's the game more than my hardware, But if i had to update my cpu or gpu, Wouldn't the gpu be the best option?

12. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    Yeah i don't need to move the mouse and it happened in another part of the game but that resolved itself somehow.

Yeah I'll update my graphics card drivers, one of the updates noted a performance increase.

Thanks i think it's the game more than my hardware, But if i had to update my cpu or gpu, Wouldn't the gpu be the best option?
    For pure fps gain per $ spent then yes, usually the GPU is the best option yes. Especially once you factor in the new mobo/ram you often have to get alongside a new CPU.

13. Smile
    My idea for a better cpu would be a I7 8700
    And my idea for a video card was a GTX 1660

Anyway moving the game to my SSD made loading quicker and updating my video drivers gave me a little more speed (i have to really move the mouse like crazy to get it to drop to 28 FPS now so I'd say that's sorted)

Thanks for your help everyone.

14. Post
    Could be Vmem, have a look and see if there's any settings that will cut down on its usage.

I know FF15 had a wicked Vmem problem on my 780Ti. The GPU wasn't stressed but frame rate would often crash when there was a lot of stuff on the screen.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/63765...4735994608814/
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/63765...2484260207483/

They had a specific setting called TRAM which was the amount of Vmem dedicated to textures which would happily suck up everything and leave nothing for anything else.

Could drop every setting but that to lowest and experience the same FPS as medium at 1080p. Drop that setting, though, and smooth as silk.

That would explain your components not running at full load but still experiencing the FPS crashing. 780 Ti had the same 3GB of Vmem.

15. Smile
    Would saving an extra $100 and getting the GTX 1660 Ti be better than just the standard 1660?

I might play my game some more first though just to see how it runs, No need to rush.

16. Post
    Save the $150 and get a 5700

Check reviews on youtube from the likes of Hardware Unboxed on GPU performance, including 1660, 1660ti and 5700.

17. Smile
    Fragluton wrote:
    Save the $150 and get a 5700

Check reviews on youtube from the likes of Hardware Unboxed on GPU performance, including 1660, 1660ti and 5700.
    I don't really know a whole lot about AMD.

I looked at a review where they thought the normal 1660 is better value than the more expensive Ti,
    The speed difference is about 10% over all but in some areas it's up to 50%.

Funny thing though, Some games don't always benefit from a new video card, in fact my 1060 is faster in CS:GO than a 1660. (or so the review said)

I think though I'd be getting this card for the extra memory more than speed, suntoucher could be right that 3GB isn't enough anymore for newer games running 1920x1080.

18. Post
    3GB is nothing these days. At 1080P it will be a combo of GPU and CPU bottlenecking.

AMD are fine, their cards offer better value than Nvidia.

19. Post
    Here is a good performance summary from techpowerup
    The 5700 can be had for $549 not bad considering its faster than a GTX1080 and it would be a massive upgrade over the 1060 3gb
    Name:  relative-performance_1920-1080.png
Views: 147
Size:  52.9 KB

20. Post
    Does it matter what FPS you get during loading screens? I've played games where the loading screens are fixed on lower fps than I get in-game. Also a 5700 for 1080p is mad overkill, and the drivers for them seem quite unstable at the moment. I think a 1060 3gb should be fine for pretty much anything 1080p unless you want to set everything to max.

21. Smile
    nile wrote:
    Does it matter what FPS you get during loading screens? I've played games where the loading screens are fixed on lower fps than I get in-game.
    Yeah i was thinking that late last night.

Also a 5700 for 1080p is mad overkill, and the drivers for them seem quite unstable at the moment. I think a 1060 3gb should be fine for pretty much anything 1080p unless you want to set everything to max.
    Well I've already ordered a 1660 just for the extra memory because I'll be playing Age of empires 2 definitive edition in November, it's a 4k game but i hope it will also run in 1080p.

Thanks for the help everyone.

22. Smile
    Just thought I'd update what's been happening.

I have the new card and my game works perfectly, Imo the upgrade was a complete success.
    Now i just need them to release new content.

Not sure if the 10% performance increase did it or the extra memory. but heck it worked so it's all good.
    Last edited by Magic Robertson; 14th September 2019 at 8:40 pm.