Page 2 of 2 First 12
Results 26 to 50 of 50

  1. Post
    #26
    1. Use uBlock Origin as an element blocker in your browser: Chrome, Firefox

    2. Use Pi-hole as a DNS blocker for all devices on your network: https://pi-hole.net/

  2. Post
    #27
    Eldon wrote:
    I have no problem with targeted advertising, provided any info provided out is done with your consent (a.k.a Privacy Act).

    I especially have no problem if the TV sends you named Viagra adverts while your mates are around
    It will be with your consent, like I said it will be in the tsandcs. Your information is absolutely harvested by the way, just not by TVNZ. The question you should be asking is should you be compensated for ad sellers using your information to charge a premium? On the other hand, it's a free service and they struggle to make ends meet, this isn't google or FB we're talking about.

    One way to think about this is you will be served an ad no matter what, at least in this scenario you will get the blue pill ad cause you fall into the relevant target market. Traditionally it is blanket to everyone based on the show and even if you're a woman you're getting an ad for the blue pill.

    scholar wrote:
    1. Use uBlock Origin as an element blocker in your browser: Chrome, Firefox

    2. Use Pi-hole as a DNS blocker for all devices on your network: https://pi-hole.net/
    This seems like sensible advice (personally I just use an adblocker, I've come to terms with google knowing all). However it will absolutely not stop TVNZ from using the first name you provided to them in an advert. You literally typed it into a form and gave it to them. If you typed it wrong (intentionally or not) that's what they'll believe your name to be.

  3. Post
    #28
    JPAR wrote:
    This seems like sensible advice (personally I just use an adblocker, I've come to terms with google knowing all). However it will absolutely not stop TVNZ from using the first name you provided to them in an advert. You literally typed it into a form and gave it to them. If you typed it wrong (intentionally or not) that's what they'll believe your name to be.
    I haven't seen any personalised ads, but I'm waiting for the one where they address me as Mr Asdfjsdfjhkjfhdskjhf.

  4. Post
    #29
    <--- quietly waiting for TVNZ to have a data breach and leak everyones personal info.

  5. Post
    #30
    Uses free service, expects service to be free.

  6. Post
    #31
    CODChimera wrote:
    wait they have all our info
    ??
    Can't stream off their site without making an account. I just mashed my face on my keyboard to type gibberish into the name field.

  7. Post
    #32
    teelo7 wrote:
    Can't stream off their site without making an account. I just mashed my face on my keyboard to type gibberish into the name field.
    Yeah ... it makes a mockery of their "Freeview+" platform. ThreeNow does not ask for details, only TVNZ does.

  8. Post
    #33
    KiwiTT wrote:
    ThreeNow does not ask for details
    maybe im misunderstanding you but are you sure about that?


  9. Post
    #34
    St4lk3r wrote:
    maybe im misunderstanding you but are you sure about that?
    Not on my Apple TV App or Freeview+ players

  10. Post
    #35
    scholar wrote:
    2. Use Pi-hole as a DNS blocker for all devices on your network: https://pi-hole.net/
    100% agree with this.

    Hands down one of the better choices I've made. Set your router to forward DNS queries to it and you've got yourself a network wide ad-block and privacy filter. Works wonders on mobile devices though some small things still get through like stream embedded ads on Twitch. Still worth it.

    10/10 would Pi-hole again.

  11. Post
    #36
    SideFace wrote:
    100% agree with this.

    Hands down one of the better choices I've made. Set your router to forward DNS queries to it and you've got yourself a network wide ad-block and privacy filter. Works wonders on mobile devices though some small things still get through like stream embedded ads on Twitch. Still worth it.

    10/10 would Pi-hole again.
    So who's smurf are you? You might as well fess up now dude, it'll come out eventually. See Kieran "Kierbear" Pegler, and his tail-between-the-legs exit. Rip that plaster off now bro, and just tell us! Then, don't be a c**t, and we'll all get along marvellously!

  12. Post
    #37
    JPAR wrote:
    There's no mystery here. Ad sellers like TVNZ will include the option to personalise name (also targeting something like a region etc) to ad buyers. They don't pass the information to the buyer, they simply insert your name dynamically where requested. No one looks at your information and no one cares, if that helps. They acquired the information when you signed up, they don't harvest it. Your permission to use it will be somewhere in the tsandcs for using the service. If you'd like to get more insight on how something like this works, create a Facebook business and go into the ad creator. This is very low on what you should be concerned about with your online activity. There is a lot more to be concerned about than TVNZ inserting the name you provided them on signup into an ad.

    This is pretty much exactly how it works in a brief nutshell. There is a reason why you need to login, and it simply is pulling their first-party data into the agency ad servers to generate a 'tailored' ad. It's pretty easy to pull much of this PII into various ad buying models. Your name, region, age is all identifiable by a number of their partners and is utilised in third-party datasets. Depending how good the trader is, you'll be re-targeted, used as a seed audience, or not see the ad again for 7-14 days (standard is 3-4x per week), All depends on the strategy and the attribution modelling which may have been done before the campaign went live in market.

    Source: Work in Media/Advertising...

  13. Post
    #38
    Frederick James wrote:
    So who's smurf are you? You might as well fess up now dude, it'll come out eventually. See Kieran "Kierbear" Pegler, and his tail-between-the-legs exit. Rip that plaster off now bro, and just tell us! Then, don't be a c**t, and we'll all get along marvellously!
    New forum. Who dis?

    Who's this Kieran bloke? I take it he wasn't well liked?

  14. Post
    #39
    RichR17 wrote:
    This is pretty much exactly how it works in a brief nutshell. There is a reason why you need to login, and it simply is pulling their first-party data into the agency ad servers to generate a 'tailored' ad. It's pretty easy to pull much of this PII into various ad buying models. Your name, region, age is all identifiable by a number of their partners and is utilised in third-party datasets. Depending how good the trader is, you'll be re-targeted, used as a seed audience, or not see the ad again for 7-14 days (standard is 3-4x per week), All depends on the strategy and the attribution modelling which may have been done before the campaign went live in market.

    Source: Work in Media/Advertising...
    Ohh and they're using Unique Identifiers. I hope they have some decent privacy lawyers on board.

  15. Post
    #40
    SideFace wrote:
    New forum. Who dis?

    Who's this Kieran bloke? I take it he wasn't well liked?
    All good - if you ain't a smurf, you ain't a smurf! No, Pegler wasn't well liked; that he even had the nerve to come back after defrauding another member out of a significant sum of money is beyond me.

    Welcome to GP!

  16. Post
    #41
    He was also convicted for import a child sex doll.

  17. Post
    #42
    ^ Who Pegler was? Damn, c**t was shady af!

  18. Post
    #43
    Vulcan wrote:
    Ohh and they're using Unique Identifiers. I hope they have some decent privacy lawyers on board.
    Do I need to pursue this issue further?

  19. Post
    #44
    Frederick James wrote:
    All good - if you ain't a smurf, you ain't a smurf! No, Pegler wasn't well liked; that he even had the nerve to come back after defrauding another member out of a significant sum of money is beyond me.

    Welcome to GP!
    JRS wrote:
    He was also convicted for import a child sex doll.
    Dang son. Dude has some problems. Thanks for the welcome.

  20. Post
    #45
    Frederick James wrote:
    ^ Who Pegler was? Damn, c**t was shady af!
    nah i just made that up because he's a ****. although apparently someone in nz was done for that recently.

  21. Post
    #46
    Yous need a GDPR

  22. Post
    #47
    JC wrote:
    Yous need a GDPR
    I have some surplus GDPRs I can sell you at cost!

  23. Post
    #48
    Hey Boomer, use Ublock Origin + Nano Defender browser extensions.

  24. Post
    #49
    UBlock Origin suddenly stopped working for it this week, wonder if this thread had anything to do with that...

  25. Post
    #50
    Vulcan wrote:
    I have some surplus GDPRs I can sell you at cost!
    (actual CISO response) we'll take two!