1. Post

PC for living room

System I'm looking at so far. Its for recording from TV, storing movies and TV and playing Bluray:

CPU: Ryzen 2700
    GPU: 5700 XT
    RAM: Ballistix 2x8 LT
    SS Intel 660p 1tb
    PSU: Corsair RM750i 750W
    Case: Fractal Node 804

I need something I can use to record from TV, and a remote. Although I do have an unused LG G3 and Tablet.

I have Plasma TV in living room and really only enough room underneath for Xbox One sized thing, so the Node 804 is probably too big.

Thanks

2. Post
    Seems like massive overkill if you're not gaming on it.

You could do all of those things a R3/i3, 4GB RAM and an IGP.

The lower the performance of the machine, the lower the requirement for cooling, the quieter it is and the smaller you can make it.

3. Post
    Suggest: iGPU / smaller SSD / large HDD / less powerful PSU (PSU more efficient around 50% load, and that PSU too big).

4. Post
    I built my whole HTPC for around the same cost as a 5700 XT alone which does everything you asked for

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
    RAM - 16GB (8GBx2) Crucial DDR-3200
    Motherboard, case & PSU - ASRock A300W
    SSD - Intel 660p 512GB
    CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-L9a

5. Post
    The A300 is pretty mint, can put two PCI-E M.2 SSDs and 2 2.5" HDDs in them.
    Name:  1125697878.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  121.1 KB

6. Post
    Siris Le Osiris wrote:
    The A300 is pretty mint, can put two PCI-E M.2 SSDs and 2 2.5" HDDs in them.
    Name:  1125697878.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  121.1 KB
    That is a neat little case, I wish it could take 2x 3.5" hdds though.

7. Post
    Yeah, cool case. Need space formore HDDs, optical drive and TV tuner

8. Post
    Who on earth needs more hard drives these days?

You can get 2.5" drives in 5TB and unlimited fibre means you can delete and refresh with little to no effort.

Fair enough on the optical drive and TV tuner, though. I remember when you first did this thread I looked for ITX cases that take optical drives. Options are limited but I built one for my parents years ago using a Silverstone case. Not sure if they still make that particular one, but they seem to have plenty of options.

Had to use a Pico-PSU for it, though however I was super impressed by them.

9. Post
    I can't seem to find my exact one but this one looks good:
    https://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/S...ver_54194.html

Found it, my one was the Silverstone LC06.
    1x 5.25" external
    2x expansion slots
    1x 3.5"
    Mini ITX
    Pico-PSU

https://www.google.com/search?q=silv...9GCfgUwPBC5jM:

10. Post
    Eclectic Gamester wrote:
    Yeah, cool case. Need space formore HDDs, optical drive and TV tuner
    I have a Fractal 500 mITX, takes optical drive and have plenty of room for hdds, unsure if it will fit a 3 thick gpu

11. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Who on earth needs more hard drives these days?

You can get 2.5" drives in 5TB and unlimited fibre means you can delete and refresh with little to no effort.

Fair enough on the optical drive and TV tuner, though. I remember when you first did this thread I looked for ITX cases that take optical drives. Options are limited but I built one for my parents years ago using a Silverstone case. Not sure if they still make that particular one, but they seem to have plenty of options.
    I wanna have transparent backups of my UHD blurays.

12. Post
    I have 15 HDD in my media server.

13. Post
    Don't some UHD blurays have copyright protection that prevents them from being backed up?

14. Post
    Streacom make some sexy small cases that have a variety of options in terms of HDDs, optical drives, cooling, and component configurations.

For example, the FC9 Alpha is within a few mm as the size of an original Xbox One and can take up to 6 drives (3x 3.5" + 3x 2.5" with a mini-ITX board, which itself could have two M.2) while still having an optical drive. They're not cheap, though; its around $500 for the case plus nano PSU, and there isn't a NZ distributor as far as I can tell. But hey, if you're going for a 5700XT in an HTPC, it might be just the thing (you won't get a 5700XT in a FC9 though).

15. Post
    DW wrote:
    Don't some UHD blurays have copyright protection that prevents them from being backed up?
    No, all can be.

16. Post
    kiwijunglist wrote:
    I have 15 HDD in my media server.
    How much did the server cost and is it super quick to access? Also I remember youre an expert with media playback/centres/Kodi. What are you using to play back your media these days?

Is your setup quiet? What do you game on?

17. Post
    My living room PC is in a RVZ02 which is about the size of an Xbox One. It originally had:

1 x Silverstone RVZ02 Mini ITX Case
    1 x Intel 600P Series 128GB M.2 SSD (SSDPEKKW128G7X1)
    1 x SilverStone SFX Series SX500-LG 500W 80Plus Gold Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
    1 x Intel KabyLake Core i3-7100 3.9Ghz, 3MB, LGA1151 Processor
    1 x Corsair CMK8GX4M2A2400C14 Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4-2400 CL14
    1 x Noctua NH-L9x65 CPU Cooler

Has been perfect for me as a media player (i've since put my old GTX960 in it and increased the memory).
    It fits a slim optical drive and 2 x 2.5" drives. If you don't put a GPU in it you could fit a couple of 3.5" disks where the GPU goes as well.
    Theres also the Fractal Design Node 202 with similar space, but no Optical slot.

18. Post
    Eclectic Gamester wrote:
    How much did the server cost and is it super quick to access? Also I remember youre an expert with media playback/centres/Kodi. What are you using to play back your media these days?

Is your setup quiet? What do you game on?
    Currently on my phone, hard to type

My server isn't really that fancy.
    Roswell server case
    i7-3770
    16gb ram
    Nvidia p1000 gpu
    A data expansion card
    Heaps of HDD and one ssd.

My server didn't cost a lot because the CPU and ssd was free and the other bits just came out of my older htpc, HDDs are all from Amazon before gst.

If you're running a large server BV with a large collection I'd definitely recommend docker and radarr/sonarr etc

I run Ubuntu 18.04 lts server edition.
    Docker
    Various docker containers. Eg. Samba radarr sonarr jackett transmission-vpn snapraid Plex duckdns letsencrypt

It's not that quiet but it's in the hallway cupboard so it doesn't matter.

My media player is currently just an Intel nuc running Plex.

Quality is not quite as good as using mediaportal with madvr, but I switched to Plex so that I can watch stuff from my server outside my house.

When I upgrade my TV I'll probably end up considering using something with a decent GPU and madvr again.

I don't play video games anymore.

Access is pretty much instant, it's always on.

19. Post
    ok, its seems like its a better idea to get a separate server, gaming pc (and maybe a media PC)

Gaming PC:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz
    GPU: 5700 xt (but would rather 5600 xt but Drivers tho)
    RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Silver/Red DDR4 3400MHz 2x8GB
    MOBO:???
    Case:
    PSU: 650 bronze or gold modular
    I have a 256gb sata III m.2 and 2 WD Blue 3tb blues.
    Last edited by Eclectic Gamester; 6th February 2020 at 3:34 pm.