1. Post

Dead motherboard?

Specs: Gigabyte B150M i7-6700, EVGA GTX960, couple of SATA spinning Hard Drives, Samsung 860 M.2, ZM600-GV PSU.

So, over the last month my computer has randomly restarted either while under heavy load or light use, fans still running, just computer restarts.

I’ve recently moved, and unpacked my battlestation, computer worked fine yesterday and the only major thing I did was a Nvidia driver update.

Fast forward to today and she won’t boot/POST beep at all. I’ve tried

- everything plugged in but using onboard graphics
    - Only using 1 or 2 RAM sticks,
    - reseating power cables,
    - starting computer with nothing (a part from m.2) and 1 RAM stick,
    - unplugging all power cables, shorting green to black on the 24 pin
    - removing BIOS battery for 5 mins
    - shorting CMOS connector
    - having no RAM still has no POST beep
    - capacitors on mobo look fine

All these result in CPU and system fan spins, No POST beep and the only way for the computer to shut down is press power button for 4 seconds, so CPU is good.

Dead MOBO?

2. Post
    Take the m.2 out as well. Tried the one stick in different channels? Dusty?

3. Post
    Power Supply.

4. Post
    MrCake wrote:
    Take the m.2 out as well. Tried the one stick in different channels? Dusty?
    Tried the m.2 out, same result, can't remember if I had other stuff unplugged

Oldtime boy wrote:
    Power Supply.
    Even though the PSU fan runs while the 24 pin green/black is shorted?

5. Post
    I doubt its the PSU. It does sound like a power delivery or memory problem given the hard resetting it was doing, but generally you would expect a graphics or straight PSU power draw problem to be present when under load and not idle. Its possible that a bad PSU could damage a motherboard sufficiently to cause it to stop working, but either way you'd need a new motherboard.

Short of testing everything in another system to rule it out, I'd say that motherboard is by far the most likely cause of the problem.

6. Post
    Yeah, I don't remember specifics, but I do remember the resetting happening while gaming, and while "light" use while browsing

7. Post
    Mithster18 wrote:
    Yeah, I don't remember specifics, but I do remember the resetting happening while gaming, and while "light" use while browsing
    Apparently those Zalman PSUs are hot garbage, so you should probably replace that as a matter of course anyway.

8. Post
    azarat wrote:
    Apparently those Zalman PSUs are hot garbage, so you should probably replace that as a matter of course anyway.
    You reckon order new PSU (CoolerMaster/Corsair/EVGA) at least from pb/cl, and a MOBO, try new PSU if that works all g, return the MOBO, if not, try new MOBO and PSU?

9. Post
    Pick a PSU from the top two tiers here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...r-list/page/1/

You can buy a motherboard at the same time and return if unnecessary if you want, or you could order the PSU first and see if that resolves the issue. As I said before, I think its unlikely to just be the PSU though.

10. Post
    Make sure anything you buy with intention of possibly returning is within their returns policy e.g has it been opened.

11. Post
    Are you using the A1 RAM slot?

12. Post
    Analgia wrote:
    Are you using the A1 RAM slot?
    Not sure what you mean sorry. I've tried a single ram stick in the 4 different RAM slots it can be in.

13. Post
    Get rid of that power supply

14. Post
    Took my rig into the local computer shop and they had a test PSU they let me use on my rig. I managed to get a POST beep with all components connected. Didn't check video output though.

Disconnected their PSU and tried mine with their power cable, got a POST beep, didn't check video though. Ruled it down to percussive maintenance and possibly a failing PSU.

Just got home and tried my Jug Cord cable, no POST beep.

15. Post
    Ended up buying this PSU, chucked it in, POST’d immediately, ran fine last night. Let’s hope that’s the only trouble I have for a little while. Thanks to all those who helped