1. Post

Speed Question

As some of you who regularly read this forum may know. I recently joined Slingshot's gigantic plan (uncapped speed/data) since joining, speedtests appear to be quite slow. However after discussing with tech support; the speedtest within the myslingshot portal, shows a fantastic connection, their testing application I downloaded at their request shows a great connection, but every speedtest I do in a browser, whether it be the okla one, or theirs (http://linetest.nz/) the download speed in particular is pretty bloody average.

How is this possible? Wired connection straight to the router or via my gig switch is no different. Edge, Firefox, Chrome all the same, have also tried my wifes laptop directly to the router. All result in a rough average 400Mbps down, and roughly similar upload speed. Can anyone translate this into what might be the cause? Am now waiting on what the slingshot techs come back with.

2. Post
    There are too many reasons to list tbh. 400Mbps is a good laptop browser speedtest result. Be happy with it.

3. Post
    I'm assuming their own speed test is located on their servers, so you'd expect full speed. The fact you get "shit" speeds outside of their stuff might mean they have shit bandwidth available?

4. Post
    the speedtest results are the same on my desktop so

5. Post
    Donít use the browser to test, download the Speedtest windows app from the MS store.

Try a live CD/USB Linux boot and repeat the tests and let us know how you get on

6. Post
    GenericUSERNAME wrote:
    Don’t use the browser to test, download the Speedtest windows app from the MS store.

Try a live CD/USB Linux boot and repeat the tests and let us know how you get on
    That surely wouldn’t account for several hundred Mb? Personally I’ve never noticed a measurable difference between the Speedtest app and Firefox.

OP: was the slingshot speed test done between your router and the isp or between the ont and isp?
    Cause if it’s to the ONT - then the speed issue is after it.
    If the slingshot speed test is to your router then the issue looks like it’s their side - perhaps they have bandwidth issues.

Also while it may not be related - 11ms is kinda “high” for fibre - most connections I’ve tested were under 5ms, but obviously 11ms is still good compared to adsl

7. Post
    Bumped my upload up several hundred Mb and DL nearly 100 immediately. tested on Chrome and the app

[EDIT] The difference can be minimal but the point is to negate as many variables as possible, also testing outside of peak usage times will benefit your results better.

Chrome
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chrome.PNG 
Views:	8 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	227386

Speedtest app

Name:	App.PNG 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	227387

Pop up from Speedtest

Name:	note.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	227388
    Last edited by GenericUSERNAME; 28th September 2019 at 9:03 am.

8. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Also while it may not be related - 11ms is kinda “high” for fibre - most connections I’ve tested were under 5ms, but obviously 11ms is still good compared to adsl
    High but not unusual for fibre, a friends gigabit connection that was linked from chch to Trustpower that would never go under 14ms which was probably due to routing to the TP servers back in Tauranga, testing closer servers like 2degrees chch yielded greater results

9. Post
    GenericUSERNAME wrote:
    Bumped my upload up several hundred Mb and DL nearly 100 immediately. tested on Chrome and the app

[EDIT] The difference can be minimal but the point is to negate as many variables as possible, also testing outside of peak usage times will benefit your results better.

Chrome

Name:	Chrome.PNG 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	227386

Speedtest app

Name:	App.PNG 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	227387

Pop up from Speedtest

Name:	note.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	227388
    lol

pushing some shitty app - probably full of spyware (or at minimum scrapes all your personal details so they can sell them), their website works perfectly fine for 1G speeds

10. Post
    Abo wrote:
    lol

pushing some shitty app - probably full of spyware (or at minimum scrapes all your personal details so they can sell them), their website works perfectly fine for 1G speeds

Lol do you just flap your gums without any proof or does “probably” suffice in your world lol

pak n save have a 2 for 1 special on tin foil tomorrow.

11. Post
    the slingshot test in the 3rd image, is between ISP and ONT I believe. I recall yesterday that during my phone call following up the first results, they mentioned something about high packet loss. Apparently there were still a few background processes running that ideally wouldn't be running during the test. So I did their test again last night (quite late) and here is a screenshot of part of the results. I'm guessing the high packet loss is also occurring via my PC as well?