Results 1 to 11 of 11

  1. Post
    #1

    Urgent - pc build

    PC is not for me.
    Use case: Architectural programs (lumion is an example) - Not looking for anything high-end, just able to do the job reasonably well.

    Ideally need to buy parts tomorrow.

    Prices are from physical stores as no time for delivery.

    CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz Socket AM4 Box - $219
    GHX - ASRock Radeon RX 580 Phantom Gaming D OC HDMI 3xDP 8GB -$316
    MOBO - Gigabyte GA-B450M-S2H mATX Motherboard - $128
    RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport AT DDR4 2666MHz 2x8GB (BLS2K8G4D26BFSTK) - $138
    SSD - Samsung 860 EVO Series MZ-76E500B 500GB - $125
    PSU - Corsair CX550 550W -$98
    Case - NZXT H500 (White/Black/Transparent) - $136

    Total $1,160

    The PSU is "bronze", is that a concern?
    The case was one of the cheapest I could find from a physical store - Auckland CBD. Any suggestions?
    Been out of the loop for ages. Do I not need an ATX, over a mATX?
    What should I do for wifi?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Anroid; 30th September 2019 at 8:50 am.

  2. Post
    #2
    What are the system requirements for the applications?

    If they don't need to be GPU accelerated then you could go for an E3 Xeon or Ryzen Pro and get an ISV certified GPU for display purposes only.

    Get an NVMe SSD (AKA m.2 PCI-E) because SATA is worthless on a new build.

    Bronze just means it's not as efficient, but we're talking about single percentage points. As long as it's 80 Plus rated it's good enough to not blow up if you somehow consume close to 550W (which you won't).

    With all that in mind, why not just buy a prebuilt dealio?

  3. Post
    #3
    The applications require a decent GHX card.
    Why is SATA worthless?
    Where do I find these prebuilt dealios?

  4. Post
    #4
    Prebuilt machines:
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/category/computers/pcs
    https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/systems

    SATA is old technology. Not only is it quite bulky but it's bandwidth limited. You don't need maximum bandwidth, but new tech can manage both high bandwidth and high IOPS in a tiny package.

    It's fine for a mechanical drive, because they can't hit SATA limits, but SSDs can hit way beyond.

    Buying a SATA SSD for a new machine is like buying an IDE drive for a new machine.

    This is a modern SATA SS
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KjQq3w0uh-gpw1pFAqY-V5qKo0Cv3eqfATD5G7tIKYM.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	227402

    And a 2280 m.2 SSD by comparison:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m.2-ssd-vs-sata-ssd-1024x685.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	227403

  5. Post
    #5
    Maybe check out computerlounge or pbtech for a prebuilt.

    I would look to an nvidia card for Cuda.
    Definitely opt for an m.2 drive over Sata.
    I would definitely look to get a better PSU

  6. Post
    #6
    I put off from pre-built because of the following reasons:

    Savings - + don't need os and if I remove os that will increase the time I get it? I need it today or tomorrow.

  7. Post
    #7
    Anroid wrote:
    I put off from pre-built because of the following reasons:

    Savings - + don't need os and if I remove os that will increase the time I get it? I need it today or tomorrow.
    Fire them an email, say "you want this minus Windows + NVMe SSD today, can you do it?"

    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/WKS...zen-5-2600-6-C

    If they say no, there's your answer. If they say yes, sorted.

  8. Post
    #8
    I mean, your build looks fine (aside from the SSD) but with your urgency I probably wouldn't commit to getting the parts and building same day.

    Or even just email your build to various places and say, "Can you have something made for me today for X amount without Windows"

    Worst case scenario is they say no.

  9. Post
    #9
    suntoucher wrote:
    What are the system requirements for the applications?

    If they don't need to be GPU accelerated then you could go for an E3 Xeon or Ryzen Pro and get an ISV certified GPU for display purposes only.

    Get an NVMe SSD (AKA m.2 PCI-E) because SATA is worthless on a new build.

    Bronze just means it's not as efficient, but we're talking about single percentage points. As long as it's 80 Plus rated it's good enough to not blow up if you somehow consume close to 550W (which you won't).

    With all that in mind, why not just buy a prebuilt dealio?
    Quick google search shows that Lumion is more GPU heavy than CPU.

    According to the Lumion website the reccomended system requirement spec is

    4ghz or faster CPU
    32gb ram
    Quadro Nvidia K6000 or GTX 1060 or better
    Last edited by SirGrim; 30th September 2019 at 2:41 pm.

  10. Post
    #10
    SirGrim wrote:
    Quick google search shows that Lumion is more GPU heavy than CPU.

    According to the Lumion website the reccomended system requirement spec is

    4ghz or faster CPU
    32gb ram
    Quadro Nvidia gpu or gtx 1060 or better
    I am aware of the requirements. She is fine using it on the lowest settings. System can be on the lower side of things.
    Last edited by Anroid; 30th September 2019 at 11:36 am.

  11. Post
    #11
    If you're aware of the requirements and need it yesterday, pop to a local pc shop that has a system already built and buy it. Not your money anyway and windows is only a small part of the build cost. A prebuilt system from the likes of computer lounge will have already been tested and ready to run.

    Any one piece of hardware not working if you build it yourself puts the build time back a day or two.