Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

MHD and xHP for N54/N55

Yo GP crew!

Been a while since I've really been here. now that the wagon is our of a mech warranty period now. Was thinking about some tinkering with the ECU and TCU. anyone here had some experience with MHD and xHP? Keen to hear thoughts if you've done it.

Probably looking at MHD stage 1 (lol at the name) and xHP stage 3 (lol again). keeping bolt ons rather minimal.

do it? don't do it?

2. Post
    A friend has done this on his 135i but I still think proper dyno tuning would bring better results.

3. Post
    Did it on my E91 N54 and highly recommend it. Found XHP Stage 3 too harsh, so would recommend Stage 2 personally as Stage 3 bangs into gears. Mine was MHD Stage 2+ with full bolt ons, but even Stage 1 or 1+ is a good increase in power over stock. One of the best things I did was turn on linear throttle (removes the standard throttle mapping, so 50% throttle is actually 50%, WOT is WOT etc), and boost per gear so I could take off from intersections with a bit of gusto and not leave sideways.

You will have failures though, so do some work beforehand. Get a new charge pipe, new spark plugs of the correct heat range, and then cross your fingers nothing else fails. Service your trans if you havent already.

The cost per gains ratio is way better than "getting a proper tune". Its also proven reliable and safe, with thousands of people running the OTS maps.

4. Post
    Yea I tend to agree that a custom tune would be best fit. but As Triple_S says, that gain for the cost you cant really ignore. Given so many people have done it without major issues speaks volumes.

Thanks for the suggestion on xHP stage 2. Stock, it's like a slug imo - so it seems that stage 3 is too much. A change in the trans is the main thing I was looking forward to. The E91 in general still just a weekender for supermarket shopping with some occasional spirited driving

Most of the stuff has been done during it's mech warranty. No sign of wastegate rattle since I've had it. VANOS solenoids, plugs, trans all have been done. I guess I'll give it a shot then.

5. Post
    S62B50 swap errday

6. Post
    MarksoN wrote:
    S62B50 swap errday
    I dunno what the wife would say... can't have too many mistresses.
    <- I have a hard enough time shooting models like that in my profile pic haha

7. Post
    The 335i that nzskater was selling had a MHD mod if I remember correctly. Try send him a pm?

8. Post
    Oh true. I think I've settled that I'll just do it anyways.

Last night did the xHP transmission flash. TOTALLY worth it imo. I took on Triple_S' recommendation on doing stage 2, not stage 3. Instantly noticed these things:
    - smoother gearshifts
    - faster gearshifts
    - more responsiveness
    - now does revmatch in sport mode

I'll tonight's job is now to put on MHD ...and pray nothing breaks lol

9. Post
    Weegee wrote:
    Oh true. I think I've settled that I'll just do it anyways.

Last night did the xHP transmission flash. TOTALLY worth it imo. I took on Triple_S' recommendation on doing stage 2, not stage 3. Instantly noticed these things:
    - smoother gearshifts
    - faster gearshifts
    - more responsiveness
    - now does revmatch in sport mode

I'll tonight's job is now to put on MHD ...and pray nothing breaks lol
    What cable are you using? Im looking at tuning my 07 e92. definitly want xhp the trans is so slow.

10. Post
    Alexleov wrote:
    What cable are you using? Im looking at tuning my 07 e92. definitly want xhp the trans is so slow.
    This is the one I have:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

11. Post
    /sigh

wastegates are rattlin' now.

12. Post
    #justbmwthings

13. Post
    Been thinking about picking up a 135i recently, maybe even an e92 if I want to splurge. Just need to get rid of the current car.

Things to look out for?

14. Post
    Everything engine and electrical related. Earlier ones were the N54 twin turbo, later ones N55 single turbo. N54s are shockingly unreliable, and the N55 isnt that much better. In terms of what fails; Injectors, fuel pumps, coils, turbos, wastegates, auto trans, cooling systems, intake pipes, diverter valves, gaskets. Everything mounted to the block is a liability. Idrive, auto shifter and blower fan issues arent uncommon.

In saying that, theyre fun to hoon around in and so easy to make power, until they fail again.

15. Post
    darkness_nz wrote:
    Been thinking about picking up a 135i recently, maybe even an e92 if I want to splurge. Just need to get rid of the current car.

Things to look out for?
    I don't want to steer you away with horror stories but here's mine.

Mine was a 2012 N55 with 80km on it. At roughly 60 km the serpentine belt tore off and almost failed catastrophically. I noticed when I heard a weird slapping sound. Then at around 75 km my charge pipe exploded after a spirited jaunt up the on-ramp getting on the motorway. Shortly after I started losing coolant. Traced it to bad gasket at the oil filter housing.

The oil filter housing gasket & charge pipe issues are nothing new, they existed even before the N54. Unacceptable for a brand that says they've got the "ultimate driving machine" in my book.

It also developed an electrical fault where it would think the doors were open when they weren't. Extremely dangerous since it slams the gearbox (mine was DCT) into P when moving at slow speeds. Turns out it is some sort of electrical fault with some sensor, and some "coding" with NCSExpert solved that (software fault).

Fixed all that, then I sold it.

I feel if I'd kept it longer more shit would break. Other owners with similar miles were reporting valve cover oil leaks (extremely labour intensive), PS pump/reservoir leaks, exploding radiators/coolant res bottles, injector problems, sluggish shifting between 1-2-1 (DCT). Carbon buildup is not uncommon (although significantly better than N54).

It was amazing when it was running. Just know what you're getting yourself into. Personally, I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone that can't do a significant amount of their own DIY or is prepared to pay someone else to do it and be without their car on a semi-regular basis.

If you do go ahead, pelican parts is an excellent resource, I found even with duties & 4 day DHL Express shipping parts costs would come in at under half of what you'd pay here at ya local.

If I could do it all again I'd get a E92 M3. It'll be a few k more (or be slightly more thrashed at the same price point), but it will require similar maintenance, and at least having an M car will make it a bit more palatable. The resale value will also be far better since M3s don't seem to lose too much value (I lost about 15k on mine, and in the same time frame the M3 prices have come down by about 10k), although the M3 would've been approx 10k dearer to purchase.

16. Post
    Cheers. A mate is an ex BMW mechanic and reckoned the e92 was a good choice. I would prefer it, but haven't really decided on anything yet.

At least it needs to be a performance oriented car.

17. Post
    L@mer|2 wrote:
    Stuff.
    Sounds more like a PG horror to me. The M3 has far more expensive potential problems and costs.

Little issues like yours are really nothing new for any modern'ish BMW (and plenty of other makes\models), recycled plastics + older car + turbo will do that quicker plus who knows what kinda of life its had over those 80,000km. If you don't get it checked at and have no service history then you have to assume everything is on the original parts and act accordingly. Pay to play like Gorgasm would say.

Pelican are ok but FCP Euro are generally better in every way these days.

18. Post
    Ah yes I forgot to mention FCP Euro - they’re great. Have bought stuff from them several times.

19. Post
    Triple_S wrote:
    Everything engine and electrical related. Earlier ones were the N54 twin turbo, later ones N55 single turbo. N54s are shockingly unreliable, and the N55 isnt that much better. In terms of what fails; Injectors, fuel pumps, coils, turbos, wastegates, auto trans, cooling systems, intake pipes, diverter valves, gaskets. Everything mounted to the block is a liability. Idrive, auto shifter and blower fan issues arent uncommon.

In saying that, theyre fun to hoon around in and so easy to make power, until they fail again.
    Sheesh ... I am certainly glad I settled on a N52-engined 330i. As a daily driver, the power I get is plenty for my needs.

However, I have seen a ton of people getting really lots of power out of the N54 compared to the N55 on youtube. So for enthusiasts (and people who can look after their own cars mechanical stuff --- not me), I can see the attraction.

Additionally, I was also considering the other N52 models 323i/325i but left they were underpowered, but I would steer well clear of any 320i/320d models that are around.

20. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Sheesh ... I am certainly glad I settled on a N52-engined 330i. As a daily driver, the power I get is plenty for my needs.

However, I have seen a ton of people getting really lots of power out of the N54 compared to the N55 on youtube. So for enthusiasts (and people who can look after their own cars mechanical stuff --- not me), I can see the attraction.

Additionally, I was also considering the other N52 models 323i/325i but left they were underpowered, but I would steer well clear of any 320i/320d models that are around.
    Also the N20 and N26 timing chain issues.... never get one without warranty. Matter of time before the engine blows up.

21. Post
    The E9x M3 shares a lot of the stuff from the E6x M5, so it's only a matter of time before the E9x M3s run into grief.

22. Post
    The E9x M3 is already known to eat bottom end bearings. A very expensive repair, and not easier to DIY because you need to remove a ton of shit to get to it. Which is not easy without a lift.

https://www.google.com/search?client...ngine+bearings

Tbh, I'd never buy one of these again. Good performance or not, having such critical faults in a vehicle designed by a company that has been in business for over a century and obviously has the resources to avoid these sorts of ****-us is totally unacceptable.

23. Post
    BMW have always been pushing the limits of N\A power in their M motors while trying to maximize efficiency, it's always resulted in certain issues but certainly some models appearing much worse than others. In saying that internet does tend exacerbate to a degree as you typically only hear the horror stories posted as opposed to all those without driving around issues.

BMW have been around along time but they aren't the same company they once were, but i don't blame them as they are a business at the end of the day. Older models were a product of their time period and market which is what made them stand out which is nothing new when it comes to cars.

24. Post
    L@mer|2 wrote:
    The E9x M3 is already known to eat bottom end bearings. A very expensive repair, and not easier to DIY because you need to remove a ton of shit to get to it. Which is not easy without a lift.

https://www.google.com/search?client...ngine+bearings

Tbh, I'd never buy one of these again. Good performance or not, having such critical faults in a vehicle designed by a company that has been in business for over a century and obviously has the resources to avoid these sorts of ****-us is totally unacceptable.
    I read that the E92 M3 uses a V8 derived from the M5 V10, which were also problematic.

BMWs have usually being known for their straight-6s and getting the most out of them. When they diverted to turbos and V8 and V10s, etc., the strength and reliability has waned. I had already heard horror stories of the turbos. It is one of the main reasons why I got my E90 BMW 330i, as it is one of the last natural straight-6 made. Compared to the 323i/325i/328i engines , the 330i uses higher output versions of the N52 with a three-stage "DISA" variable length intake manifold. So it is one of the more powerful models, without the need of turbos or additional cylinders. (I read a lot of US 328i owners are upgrading theirs to the same manifold of the 330i)

I think I'll be keeping mine for a very long and reliable time.

25. Post
    Eagle wrote:
    maximize efficiency
    Haha, not in M motors. The M5 V10 and M3 are some of the thirstiest bastards around.

KiwiTT wrote:
    I read that the E92 M3 uses a V8 derived from the M5 V10, which were also problematic.
    Correct, the same minus two cylinders. At least they had the option of a manual which reduces some of the potential issues.

And to be honest you probably have one of the more reliable later model BMWs. Our 130i was the same, hardly any issues in 50k kms.