Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Living in apartments

I've never lived in an apartment before but have recently stayed in a few via airbnb. They are noisy as hell. Every time anyone in the apartment or the neighbors besides you or above you as much as move a muscle, you hear them.

2. Post
    It is a fact that all apartments around the world are built exactly as you say. 100%.

3. Post
    I lived in a great apartment or so I thought until I realised we were on a corner where cars braked heavily. I can still hear the screech of pad to disc.

4. Post
    i'll never live on k rd again after suffering through that train of cars that put their speakers on the OUTSIDE and drive around playing gasolina 4 nights a week

5. Post
    I can barely deal with neighbours that live 10 metres away

6. Post
    I can hear my neighbours through the wall all the time (1960s brick haus). I stayed in a ****in SWANKY airbnb Apartment in Edinburgh the other day and it was silent. Thick ass walls. Buy something 100+ years old in the rich part of an old city on the other side of the world and it's all good imo.

7. Post
    knack wrote:
    I've never lived in an apartment before but have recently stayed in a few via airbnb. They are noisy as hell. Every time anyone in the apartment or the neighbors besides you or above you as much as move a muscle, you hear them.
    sounds like your'e in a cheap apartment.

8. Post
    Depends when it was built. Buildings these days have crazy insulation and fire rated walls that will kill most sound.

9. Post
    stacrafty wrote:
    I wouldn't know. The price I paid for the nightly rental is definitely not cheap nor over the top. We selected the accommodations due to their central location or close to public transportation. Some were in older buildings, others didn't appear to be that old but seemed to be quite badly designed (in term of functional/usability) not look.

10. Post
    Most NZ Apartments aren't sound proofed that well. Double glazing has helped, but it's a low standard in NZ, and then barely built to that standard during construction. Everyone designs and builds to the minimum

11. Post
    A lot of apartments in Welly are converted office buildings. So noise and thermal insulation can be quite shit.

But suspect the newer purpose built apartments wouldn't have this problem.

12. Post
    one_red_god wrote:
    Most NZ Apartments aren't sound proofed that well. Double glazing has helped, but it's a low standard in NZ, and then barely built to that standard during construction. Everyone designs and builds to the minimum
    Does anyone wanna go in on building a good as apartment block in Auckland?

Go on

13. Post
    Doing some work on a new block of apartments that's on a train crossing/train line on one side and a fire station on the other. Has double thick noiseline gib and double glazed. It's still bloody loud. Would not want to live there. But then again I've been to some real nice ones too that don't have that problem

14. Post
    I would hate to live in an apartment, would feel like I never had any space.

15. Post
    That's because NZ apartments are built like trash. We live in an apartment in Austin and have never heard any of our neighbours....ever.

16. Post
    as above, depending on the quality of the apartment, you can live relatively quite from the outside but you still can be unlucky as i was with some of the neighbors or neighborhood you are living in. For example Had a really nice place in Germany , well built, quiet , good access and parking. Problem was the multiple ex pats whose night outs resulted in them coming back fully trashed . My apartment was the corner and had the stairwell close by, Multiple times they would stagger up the stairs, pee or defecate in the corner before staggering on up the stairs or back to their apartment. And walls could not block the screaming drunken fights or activity.

there are numerous other stuff from all over the world from a decade of apartment living all over . Everywhere you go, people are the same, you get good and / or bad neighbors and good / bad living spaces. ( Lived in a coffin bed rental for 1.5 months in a busy subway station in Tokyo.. but the folk there were discrete , quiet and tidy and even the public restrooms and baths were cleaner than most in the world for example )

17. Post
    I lived in a student apartment block at uni. It was concrete structure, double glazed. You didn't hear people living upstairs or downstairs unless someone did something especially noisy like move furniture or bounce a ball on the floor, which was rare. The only exception would be if people were on a balcony OR there was a big party of 20+ guests, and even then it wasn't that bad.

It definitely depends on the type of building. Strong concrete structures are good for sound proofing. If you have thin walls or live in a very old building, rip.

18. Post
    I used to live in an apartment myself, supposedly built pretty good (Was built in the 70's and used to be where WINZ Takapuna was) but I suspected it was a leaky apartment like as soon as I left the apartment The blinds just fell down from one corner that I can see tons of mold at. Aside from that I kinda enjoyed it as it was just a good location being super close to the city but the sound was pretty annoying as I lived right next to a intersection and a couple of yards down was the cop station so would hear sirens going off all hours of the day. Thankfully I'm deaf so didn't hear anything when I went to bed.

I'm glad I shifted to a brand new place and got my own house a little smaller in terms of lounge space compared to the apartment. But so much quieter!

19. Post
    Never lived in a good apartment in Auckland, they ranged from mediocre to shitboxes. Even the supposed "high quality" one I lived in only had single glazing, and you could hear loud music from the neighbour.

In my place in Europe though you couldn't hear anything from any neighbour, and even the church bells right outside were barely audible in the dead of night.

20. Post
    stacrafty wrote:

21. Post
    i honestly never had any issues with neighbour noise leaking into my apartments while living in Auckland, but general noise pollution from outside/traffic could get pretty bad.

I used to live on the top level of the Whitcoulls building in Auckland CBD, and it was pretty unbearable on Friday/Saturday nights until like 4am.

Currently i live in UK and find that double glazing on all the windows here helps reduce noise significantly.

22. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    I would hate to live in an apartment, would feel like I never had any space.
    Don't you live in a shoebox?

23. Post
    Wouldn't mind living in an apartment as long as there's a big enough covered balcony for the Weber. I don't like mowing lawns or gardening at all, and currently living in a nightmare 950 square meter jungle for the last 10 years. Selling up soon...

24. Post
    You're doing it wrong. I've just bought an apartment and its fantastic. Not a peep from anyone, no street noise, no dogs barking, no noise from people above, below, to the left or the right.

Bliss.

25. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    That's because NZ apartments are built like trash. We live in an apartment in Austin and have never heard any of our neighbours....ever.
    well my old one was pretty soundproof. My new one is pretty sound proof too, but not as good as the last one - when its like 25% more cost per sqm.