Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Are you a Yes Man? Work forums

As per the title -

The reason why I ask is at my job for a while now but lately its become quite evident recently I've quickly come to the realisation that my progression has dramatically halted and probably be looking for a job elsewhere after the summer period.

And the reason why this thread is even here is because he tasked all to do something today which is fine - no problems with it at all everyone agreed and I agreed also but as this particular task was asked of us and has never been asked before I just queried "are we doing this because of XXXXXX which was discussed in the team meeting last week?" And his instant reply was you don't need to know and why do you have to ask as everyone before me just acknowledged it and carried on.

Now to put more of a back story on this he was a manager whos been around 2 years and everyone of my old team has now left or subtly been let go without the need of firing I'm the last original person of the team left.

The reason why I bring this up is because in their place hes hired everyone which is basically a yes man, and he basically said in our one on one conversation that "maybe you not being a yes man is what holds me back?" to which I quickly replied, "nah.. maybe its the company"

Am I the type of person to question everything? No. but I'm not going to be left to ponder on anything either.

The point is do I need to be a Yes man? Is my Manager 100% correct? And if so.. my perspective is sure, he doesn't need to tell us but at the same time if what we are doing has been briefly discussed in a team meeting prior why the need to be vague or keep us in the dark? If its a huge thing sure whatever but something thats been discussed within the team recently and something thats never been done before in three years - abit more clarity on the matter woulda been nice as to why, didn't even need to be full detail.

2. Post
    Yes.

3. Post
    Don't assume my gender please.

4. Post
    Hahah but nah serious post guys

5. Post
    get some beers and smoke weed with your boss

6. Post
    Maybe kiss him on the mouth and tell him you're a yes man.

7. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    Yes.
    Man

8. Post
    Yes ma'am

9. Post
    Reading that was like trying to translate a TS post.

10. Post
    Ahh lol, don't expect anything less from posting it on here good to see it brings out the inner child in ya'll

- - - Updated - - -

Mutton wrote:
    Maybe kiss him on the mouth and tell him you're a yes man.
    haha

11. Post
    I do have some opinions and ideas on this, but apparently OP, the "douche is strong in this one", so i'll not bother *shrug*

12. Post
    Depends on what your job is.

If you work in a call center or military. Suck it up, insight won't help and if something goes wrong it is all his fault, you don't want to share that blame.

If you work in a dynamic role like most IT jobs, then blind orders are a hindrance to company operations.

People like that are great when responsibility needs to be centralised (project goes wrong then it's his and no one else's fault), garbage when responsibility is better decentralised.

Former is usually lower skill roles, latter is higher skill roles.

13. Post
    I gave my boss a thorough wetwipe rimjob this morning and he's rewarded me with a most delicious cup of coffee.

Just tell your boss it goes both ways.

14. Post
    Lol.. so it turns out when I asked why this has happened and mentioned a reason as to perhaps why. Turns out I was right, and its a thing previously discussed amongst the team anyways so why the need for my manager to be petty and through hints that maybe I should be a yes man on something so ****en trivial

To me it just reads as someone exuding their authority

15. Post
    Chaosfollowsme wrote:
    Lol.. so it turns out when I asked why this was happened and mentioned a reason as to perhaps why we are doing said thing which was discussed in previous team meetings the boss goes out and says the reason this morning, which I mentioned anyways. Did I need to ask no? But if I'm spot on about it and its such a trivial matter which has been discussed on what we are aiming to improve anyways - whats the issue?

To me it reads as hes just trying to exude his authority for no reason but because.

To
    Reading this gave me a brain bleed

16. Post
    Yea if you combine it with the first post it's like someone picked up a dictionary and just shook some words out and hoped

17. Post
    re edited, sorry was in a rush

18. Post
    Sounds like you want to be the boss, he probably picks up that you don't respect him. Do you still work at Subway?

19. Post
    the virgin yes man vs. the chad bartleby Xd

20. Post
    Well, if he wants a yes man/ma'am, just do what he says but ensure he is the one taking responsibility on making any decisions. but don't be a wet fish and not voice any concerns either.

also, pee in his butt.

21. Post
    Rather than a "yes man" is it a case of they may see you as someone who will always come up with a reason something can't be done, rather than looking at ways that it can be?
    It's something that I have seen a lot of over the years, and I know it pisses management off when you just have someone who isn't willing to look at ways to make something work.

22. Post
    TECHNOVIKING wrote:
    Yes ma'am

23. Post
    How old are you OP?

24. Post
    If you speak the same way you post, I imagine you would struggle in most work places.

25. Post
    Chaosfollowsme wrote:
    Lol.. so it turns out when I asked why this has happened and mentioned a reason as to perhaps why. Turns out I was right, and its a thing previously discussed amongst the team anyways so why the need for my manager to be petty and through hints that maybe I should be a yes man on something so ****en trivial

To me it just reads as someone exuding their authority
    tbh I think anyone reading or listening to that would just nod their head and go "yes"

and if your place of work is looking for people to command and create yes men, then you are very likely management material.