1. Post

Preamps / Dac recommendation

can anyone recommend some low cost preamps and/or DACs for a Hi fi setup?

Current setup
    PC source > DAC/preamp > Power amp > speakers

The DAC/preamp im using is a Aune T1 mk2? USB input and RCA line out.
    it was a spare item I had laying around which seems to be doing the job but it falls short with a few things.

Really wanting a remote control, working volume (it seems to be disabled when using line out on the t1)
    Power amp is a rotel, also has balanced inputs
    I have compared the Aune T1 Dac with a Sanskrit 6th Gen and i think the Sanskrit is far superior.

Ideally a Rotel preamp would be my go to option, however the cheapest is at $2k which I really dont want to spend at this moment

2. Post
    Could try this one. Emotiva sells a bluetooh dongle directly for $50usd if thats something you need. https://www.rapalloav.co.nz/product/...-preamplifier/

I have a pair of Emotiva Airmotiv 4 powered speakers. Really high build quality and they sound great.

Otherwise if you want all the features; the website looks like shit but their gear is legit - http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/D28/D28EN.htm

3. Post
    I had some Rotel 15 series gear and didn't like it much. The USB input would sometimes turn to loud static and I was able to re-produce it with another identical DAC. Switched to optical and it ran fine, with no noticeable change in sound.

These days I run optical to an AV receiver with full pre-outs. I know it's not pure hifi but I've got a big 2 channel powering the speakers. It gives me subwoofer control and I can easily make it a surround system by adding speakers to the receiver.

You can get some fairly high end second hand receivers quite cheaply - they come up every so often as people are upgrading to get DTS:X and Dolby Atmos - surround formats that aren't required for a 2 channel system.

The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V1079. For fun I tried plugging the main speakers directly in to it - sounded like shit, so external amplification makes all the difference.

4. Post
    Yeah that was my other consideration with just upgrading the receiver.
    Im not sure about the PT 100, some reviews say its amazing while others hate it. I dont have the ability to try it out, would have to buy it out right. Also not sure if that will look out of place with the rotel.

@pocoloco the audio-gd look really nice, but they are a bit pricey with the exchange rate/tax

I do have a darkvoice 336i im using for my headphone setup, if I could get something like this for the preamp section and remote would be a big plus.

5. Post
    change of plans now!
    using darkvoice with sanskritt 6th gen dac in my lounge setup, has to be the best ive heard my system!

demoted the aune t1 back driving my hd800's
    might now look for a headphone amp and dac

How do the emotivas A-100 stack up with the hd800's?

6. Post
    BorgWarner wrote:
    I had some Rotel 15 series gear and didn't like it much. The USB input would sometimes turn to loud static and I was able to re-produce it with another identical DAC. Switched to optical and it ran fine, with no noticeable change in sound.
    Odd, I love my Rotel 1592

7. Post
    yes ive had no issues with my amp 1582 mk2. I didnt want to spend anymore on a power amp, 200 wrms x 2 is enough for me
    Last edited by s4turn; 17th October 2019 at 8:38 am.

8. Post
    It was just the USB input on the separate DAC that I had issues with. If I switched anything else in the house on/off then it would shit itself and output loud static. The waste disposal was most likely to trigger it due to the sudden current draw. Tried the showroom DAC, same problem. Thought it must be the wiring in my house but I moved house and still had the issue Also tried another USB cable, another PC etc.

Also if I didn't switch the DAC on before the PC then it wouldn't work (this issue isn't limited to Rotel though). No such problems when using optical.

Might be fine in the 1592 as it will have a different power supply.

9. Post
    s4turn wrote:
    change of plans now!
    using darkvoice with sanskritt 6th gen dac in my lounge setup, has to be the best ive heard my system!

demoted the aune t1 back driving my hd800's
    might now look for a headphone amp and dac

How do the emotivas A-100 stack up with the hd800's?
    Little confused as to where everything is now in your setup . Their material says the A-100 would output 1.3Watts. Should be enough to drive the HD800s

10. Post
    I ended up using my headphone setup for my lounge setup and thought it sounded amazing

so now need to get a decent setup for the HD800's (currently using the aune t1 again for it, which its ok, but the darkvoice + sanskritt sounded so much better in nearly every aspect.
    Last edited by s4turn; 17th October 2019 at 2:19 pm.

11. Post
    Buy a Sanskritt 10 from SMSL store and another Darkvoice amp? https://www.aliexpress.com/store/3135026

12. Post
    just ordered the topping d50s
    hopefully it does the trick!

might later get second hand tube preamp, I am enjoying the darkvoice though
    Last edited by s4turn; 21st October 2019 at 9:46 am.

13. Post
    I like Topping, I’m using a DX7 as a preamp into Wooaudio wa6-se, very nice sounding combo.

14. Post
    I actually would of been better to buy something like that in hindsight!
    that would of free up my other preamp

how do you find the topping products?

15. Post
    s4turn wrote:
    I actually would of been better to buy something like that in hindsight!
    that would of free up my other preamp

how do you find the topping products?
    Only ever had the DX7, it’s very well built and sounds great to me. I’ve never had another DAC, so I don’t have a comparison.