1. Post

Micro SD Card Help

I've got an issue with my phone's micro SD card and 3 corrupted images on it.

I'm using it in my Galaxy S8+ for some reason yesterday 3 of the photos in Gallery showed up as a grey thumbnail with an exclamation mark, details show 0KB and -1 x -1 pixels.

Now the phone won't recognise the card at all. I've used the card in another phone and a card reader on PC and both detects the card. I've grabbed what I need off it no problem but deleting files seem to reappear afterwards.

I've run a chkdsk /f on it and it's failed to fix it:
    Windows is verifying files and folders...
    Corruption was found while examining files in directory \DCIM\Camera\ (23409).
    Corruption was found while examining files in directory \DCIM\Camera\ (23413).
    Corruption was found while examining files in directory \DCIM\Camera\ (23417).
    Corruption was found while examining files and directories.
    Corruption was found while examining the volume bitmap.
    An error occurred while recovering lost files.

Tried a chkdsk /r and that too failed:
    Windows is verifying files and folders...
    Corruption was found while examining files in directory \DCIM\Camera\ (23409).
    Corruption was found while examining files in directory \DCIM\Camera\ (23413).
    Corruption was found while examining files in directory \DCIM\Camera\ (23417).
    Corruption was found while examining files and directories.
    Corruption was found while examining the volume bitmap.
    Windows is verifying file allocations...
    The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters
    detected in file \DCIM\Camera\20180811_091533.mp4 of name 522583.
    Corruption was found while examining files in directory \DCIM\Camera\ (20854).
    An error occurred while recovering lost files.

I've opened up the folder on my computer and I've located the corrupted files but I can't delete them:
    Error 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

So.. is my card failing or do I just need to find a way to get rid of those 3 files to continue using my card?

Sorry for the long post!

2. Post
    Would put money on the card failing.

mSD cards are so fragile. I've had 3 fail in one day. I have a 3D printer and load print jobs via an mSD card and the constant back and forth kills them pretty quick. They don't like being handled.

3. Post
    They are so cheap get a new one. To fix the issue though format maybe? Run a drive checker as well to see if the problem is worse than those 3 files.

4. Post
    You can no longer delete/write anything to it because it is in "read only" mode. This happens when something goes wrong to give you a chance of recovering everything off it but the card itself is now done.

5. Post
    Handy to know ^^ I have a mSD card in my phone currently that I couldn't format to fix. I'm lazy so I just left it in there.

6. Post
    Ah bugger.. thought I could salvage it to reuse.

MrCake wrote:
    They are so cheap get a new one.
    They're not expensive but it's money I'd rather not have to spend right now

Cheers and thanks for the help guys!

7. Post
    It might be worth checking the warranty on your card.

Some of the higher tier Sandisk cards have 30 years and I'm fairly sure most name brands have at least 5-10 year warranties.