Results 1 to 21 of 21

  1. Post
    #1

    New flat internet plan

    Moving into a place with my girlfriend. Need to sort out our own internet.
    Would like unlimited data.
    What's the go to plan these days? Don't need any package type thing eg netflix/lightbox included all that sorta stuff.
    Not too fussed about fibre, we have only had ADSL/vdsl before and always been enough for us.

    Cheers for any advice

  2. Post
    #2
    What are the connection options at the flat? Fibre would be the best bet by a mile, if available. Then if you don't need a landline just check the usual ISP's and see what deals they have for a 100/20 fibre plan. Some might have 3 months free if signing up for 12 months etc.

  3. Post
    #3
    Fibre 100/20 if it's available.

    Pretty sure it's cheaper than VDSL at all ISPs. It's also faster, more reliable and lower latency.

    I just switched from $80/m 100mb with BigPipe to $90/m gigabit with Stuff Fibre with first four months free (so $60/m for gigabit for the first year, then either 90 or whatever I switch to in 12 months time).

    Have to register via broadbandcompare.co.nz to get the promo else it's 4 months half price on stuff fibre website.

  4. Post
    #4
    suntoucher wrote:
    Fibre 100/20 if it's available.

    Pretty sure it's cheaper than VDSL at all ISPs. It's also faster, more reliable and lower latency.

    I just switched from $80/m 100mb with BigPipe to $90/m gigabit with Stuff Fibre with first four months free (so $60/m for gigabit for the first year, then either 90 or whatever I switch to in 12 months time).

    Have to register via broadbandcompare.co.nz to get the promo else it's 4 months half price on stuff fibre website.
    Geez that's cheap. I don't understand how they can make any money by effectively giving you a $360 sign up credit

  5. Post
    #5
    ^Bigpipe do the same, so do Slingshot. And if you get a referral from someone like me on Bigpipe, you can get an extra $20 off on top of the first 3 months free, and you're only on a 12 month contract - I'd never do more than a 12 month contract because there is big competiton amongst them - any of those addons like Netflix you are paying for in the higher monthly price.

    I got 6 months of gigabit for half price with Slingshot last year - which was a $300 saving.

  6. Post
    #6
    Yeah it's a far cry removed from the 130/m my father was paying with Spark. Moving to BigPipe for him with three months free meant an $840 saving in the first year.

    Both companies do 100mb for the same $80 but I moved because gigabit was 90 at Stuff vs 110 at BigPipe. 30/month was more than I was prepared to pay to move, but 10 bucks was apparently my threshold.

    Makes you wonder what the actual cost is for the ISPs and whether there's collusion regarding pricing seeing as they don't own the network.

  7. Post
    #7
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    ^Bigpipe do the same, so do Slingshot. And if you get a referral from someone like me on Bigpipe, you can get an extra $20 off on top of the first 3 months free, and you're only on a 12 month contract - I'd never do more than a 12 month contract because there is big competiton amongst them - any of those addons like Netflix you are paying for in the higher monthly price.

    I got 6 months of gigabit for half price with Slingshot last year - which was a $300 saving.
    Spark is a good example of this , their Gigabit connection is $130 a month with free Netflix and lightbox , most of the ISP's are only $100 a month, so is it really free.

  8. Post
    #8
    I pay $79 per month on the Canterbury only deal for 200Mbit with Bigpipe. It uses Spark's network, but compare that to what you'd pay for the same plan with them...

  9. Post
    #9
    Get fibre if you can. The extra speed is great, but I've found the biggest advantage to be not having to deal with copper issues like unexplained drops in sync rate and intermittent drop-outs.

    As for ISP, you'll be fine with any of the main ones if you're not doing anything special, so you could just pick whichever has the best pricing.

  10. Post
    #10
    Dunno if too late now for OP, but Stuff Fibre currently have six months half price on a 12 month contract for 100/20 unlimited fibre, then 80 per month (which is still the cheapest I could find that speed unlimited)

    They advertise 4 months on their site, but there is a Glimp affiliate deal for 6 months.

    https://stuff-fibre.co.nz/referral/glimp

  11. Post
    #11
    Richard7666 wrote:
    Dunno if too late now for OP, but Stuff Fibre currently have six months half price on a 12 month contract for 100/20 unlimited fibre, then 80 per month (which is still the cheapest I could find that speed unlimited)

    They advertise 4 months on their site, but there is a Glimp affiliate deal for 6 months.

    https://stuff-fibre.co.nz/referral/glimp
    4 months free via Broadband Compare
    https://www.broadbandcompare.co.nz/p...ited-fibre-442

  12. Post
    #12
    suntoucher wrote:
    Fibre 100/20 if it's available.

    Pretty sure it's cheaper than VDSL at all ISPs. It's also faster, more reliable and lower latency.

    I just switched from $80/m 100mb with BigPipe to $90/m gigabit with Stuff Fibre with first four months free (so $60/m for gigabit for the first year, then either 90 or whatever I switch to in 12 months time).

    Have to register via broadbandcompare.co.nz to get the promo else it's 4 months half price on stuff fibre website.
    I have just done the exact same thing after reading this comment. Too good to pass up.

  13. Post
    #13
    100/20 (or 200/20 for chch) is the standard plan now.

    Gigagbit is typically only a little more expensive and will download stuff a lot faster. Generally you'll get it if you have a lot of devices on your network, or if you want to wait minutes instead of hours to download something.

    This was about 110GB and took no more than 20 minutes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rdr.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	227648

    It does make rage-uninstalls kind of pointless

  14. Post
    #14
    rage-uninstalls love it

  15. Post
    #15
    Dr Disrepect is famous for doing it.

  16. Post
    #16
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-11-08 14-20-53.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	227671

    Only 650mb/s with Stuff Fibre *sniff*

    Heh, not serious, I only care about upload and it never drops below 400 from the few tests I've run. I was happy on 100mb but wasn't happy with 20mb upload.

  17. Post
    #17
    That isn't great for a speed test. I got 950/550 consistently for speed tests and real world about 500 down from the likes of Steam when I was on Gigabit.

  18. Post
    #18
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    That isn't great for a speed test. I got 950/550 consistently for speed tests and real world about 500 down from the likes of Steam when I was on Gigabit.
    Yep, I've seen that on others tests. I'm not too worried about it, I just wanted a better upload rate for my web server. It's just me and my partner using Spotify, KissAnime and YouTube really. 95% of my transactions are internal.

  19. Post
    #19
    Does stuff fibre let you open ports? (I dont care about fixed IP because i use duckdns)

    I've had open ports for my home webserver on 2degrees but this week I was put behind a CGNAT and can't open any ports, and they apparently charge $10 a month now if you want to open ports as you need a fixed IP address for that now.

    Was thinking of going to either stuff fibre or to big pipe (Big pipe charge you a $45 on off fee I believe).

  20. Post
    #20
    Do people have issues with the fair use policies and traffic shaping on stuff?
    I use 800-900gb ish a month.

  21. Post
    #21
    kiwijunglist wrote:
    Does stuff fibre let you open ports? (I dont care about fixed IP because i use duckdns)

    I've had open ports for my home webserver on 2degrees but this week I was put behind a CGNAT and can't open any ports, and they apparently charge $10 a month now if you want to open ports as you need a fixed IP address for that now.

    Was thinking of going to either stuff fibre or to big pipe (Big pipe charge you a $45 on off fee I believe).
    Unsure what you mean but I have a static IP and the only limited port as far as I'm aware is 25, but that's the same for everyone. I run a web server(80 and 443), SSH (22), UrBackup (which is 55414 and 55415) and FTP which I briefly dropped on 99 because I couldn't turn web broadcasting off on my router and it had my camera files. FTP is now blocked and I have the camera files on my server.

    My mail server is on a VPS in Sydney and I've unlocked 25 with them.