1. Post

Good desktop email client?

I've been using eM client for over 5 years but looks like theres very little active support and its not working anymore. Everytime I open it i get asked for google 2FA and then fails because java is not enabled (it is enabled and multiple complaints about this on their support forum with no fix).

I just need a basic client that supports muliple gmail accounts.

Thanks

2. Post
    ive used thunderbird forever although the mobile app is kinda lacking, desktop is fine assuming you dont have weird features needed

3. Post
    If you're on Windows 10, Mail is actually pretty good for email only. I was using that prior to moving to Linux and Thunderbird.

If I could, I'd continue to use the Windows Mail app.

4. Post
    I wish the search feature was better in Mail.

5. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    I wish the search feature was better in Mail.
    Web based Gmail search was amazing, it actually parsed all of the PDFs and attachments so I could search for invoice items.

Although undoubtedly that also meant that Google was totally using that information to see what I'd bought.

6. Post
    My step father uses Thunderbird on his Windows 10 machine, because the default Mail app was too hard for him to use after using Outlook Express.

I use M$ Outlook which comes with Office 365 Subscription, because I also have the 1 Terabyte of online storage backup of important files. I used to back up locally to external USB HDDs, but I have now reused those disks for storage on my TV and Freeview HDD recording.

7. Post
    I used to use thunderbird years ago but got rid of it. I can't remember if it was for a specific reason or just generally didn't like it. Has it changed much over the last few years?

I use outlook for my work emails so don't want to mix them up with personal.

Il have a look at win10 mail. Any other suggestions?

8. Post
    I'm also interested in non-Thunderbird recommendations for Linux.

9. Post
    I recently ditched TBird. Long standing (minor) bugs that will never be fixed .
    Its also very dated looking , and quite basic. The search feature is horrid .

Im now on eM Client, for about a month or so now. I quite like it, untill today
    EmClient just popped up wanting to send telemetry .
    God dam it. Telemetry . $^%^$%@#& . Is everything climbing on that bandwagon. Just why do they need it & what are they
    looking at. So more software i cant trust . At least they did ask......
    From what I read, 'privacy' is non existent for any of your info they have.

So.. I'll try mailbird next. I may just go back to Pegasus , after umpteen years since I last used that.

10. Post
    Is there any reason you have to stick with an email client? I almost never used one...never found the need tbh and didn't even know people still bothered using them, thought it was an "old person" thing. Is it for work purposes or something?

11. Post
    It makes multiple accounts from the same provider much easier to manage.

Evolution is the big GNOME client, and KDE has that heavyweight PIM one. There’s also the TUI stuff like Mutt, mu4e, alpine, aerc etc for the brave. Thunderbird with extensions has usually sufficed for me, I have to admit.

12. Post
    Skip Geary, it's recommended by most sources when you Google but it's pretty lame.

Was inspired so I've tried several out for the last week and so far Thunderbird is the only reliable one with all functions on Linux.

You can't even mark something as spam in Geary, there's no right click options against mailboxes, and I mashed out an email, included several addresses all to the same TLD and it decided to bin them all except for one (other TLD went through as well).

Oh yeah and you can only do things 50 emails at a time. I have cameras sending me emails whenever they fire up and will get a few hundred emails a day from them. I'll clear them out every couple days and you can't do that in one fell swoop on Geary.

MailSpring looked good but you have to register and send all of your email data to them, so, hah, nah.

Back to Thunderbird but it's pretty unreliable with accurately reporting mailbox actions and dealing with many emails in one go. Eg I cleared out a folder with a few thousand emails in it and trashed them all. Went to visit the trash and they were all there. Emptied the trash and it deleted a couple hundred and I found the rest back in the original folder.

13. Post
    frio wrote:
    It makes multiple accounts from the same provider much easier to manage.

Evolution is the big GNOME client, and KDE has that heavyweight PIM one. There’s also the TUI stuff like Mutt, mu4e, alpine, aerc etc for the brave. Thunderbird with extensions has usually sufficed for me, I have to admit.
    Fair enough, I guess when gmail delegation doesn't work and you can't just live with multiple tabs being open or that's inefficient for your setup because you have way too many email addresses you are managing or something.

I've got like 20 different emails, i go in and check with open tabs and I still haven't found a pressing need for it but maybe someone who gets a higher volume of emails?

Just curious what features in particular make you keen on sticking with it?

14. Post
    MS Outlook is probably the best one that exists... of course, if you don't have a need for the Office suite (or 365) then it's not worth getting just for Outlook.

I use Thunderbird mainly, even though it annoys me a bit. More often I find myself just using the Gmail app on my phone instead of any desktop clients.

15. Post
    I use Outlook, has the most features and integrates well with Windows/OneDrive which is my primary platform.

16. Post
    The outlook is a best for mailing and most of the corporate organization prefer to use an Outlook for business conversation.