Did an artbook advert just confirm Diablo IV?

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    They picked the worst year to announce this lol. Should have announced it last year like they originally planned.

3. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    They picked the worst year to announce this lol. Should have announced it last year like they originally planned.
    Or perhaps the best. They've got a LOT of angry fans to placate, and this might just do the job for some of them.

Either that, or it'll look terrible and will make things vastly worse. Which I'm almost hoping for because the inevitable shitstorm on top of the current dumpster fire would just be brilliant to watch.

4. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    Should have announced it last year
    They were probably waiting on the go ahead from Winnie.

5. Post
    I'm fully expecting a microtransaction laden, dlc requiring, loot box filled, repeat of the same old game we've seen many times before. I might be surprised but currently zero excitement.

6. Post
    Wertbag wrote:
    I'm fully expecting a microtransaction laden, dlc requiring, loot box filled, repeat of the same old game we've seen many times before. I might be surprised but currently zero excitement.
    You're expecting a Diablo game to have things that literally no Diablo game has EVER had.
    When did people stop using their brains? Or are "gamers" so blinded by idiocy that commonsense has been completely replaced with knee-jerk stupidity.

I wonder when "gamers" collectively became a pile of impotently gnashing teeth?

How about until Blizzard actually release a shit game we give them some benefit of the doubt. Or has the fact that Warcraft I, II, and III, WOW, Starcraft I and II, Diablo I , II, and III, as well as Overwatch, and Hearthstone exist actually somehow vanished from people's collective memory? You know literally every game they've made.

7. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    You're expecting a Diablo game to have things that literally no Diablo game has EVER had.
    When did people stop using their brains? Or are "gamers" so blinded by idiocy that commonsense has been completely replaced with knee-jerk stupidity.

How about until Blizzard actually release a shit game we give them some benefit of the doubt. Or has the fact that Warcraft I, II, and III, WOW, Starcraft I and II, Diablo I , II, and III, as well as Overwatch, and Hearthstone exist actually somehow vanished from people's collective memory? You know literally every game they've made.
    Dude.....chill. Feel free to disagree but that vitriol was a bit uncalled for

8. Post
    After a year of this garbage. There is no chill.
    People not being excited, keen, or interested is one thing. Its the expansion to include nonsense as the reason for it.
    And vitriol is more than a slight overstatement.

9. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    After a year of this garbage. There is no chill.
    People not being excited, keen, or interested is one thing. Its the expansion to include nonsense as the reason for it.
    And vitriol is more than a slight overstatement.
    While I agree that it's a bit presumptuous to call the next game out before any announcement is made, I feel like the skepticism is certainly warranted. One thing to keep in mind is that Vivendi had the majority stake over Activision in all of Blizzard's games except Hearthstone and Overwatch, It isn't difficult to argue that both of these games have copped some flack for being 'lootbox laden' in the case of OW and for being filled with MTX, in the case of Hearthstone (in fairness to Hearthstone though, it lives in a genre where MTX is accepted).

Since those games came out, Blizzard has took a mobile game that, let's be honest, should've been pushed to the asian market at ChinaJoy to a more silent Western release and put it at the forefront of their core audience instead at Blizzcon. It was a pretty bold statement that personally I personally couldn't see happening before the Vivendi buyout.

If Diablo 4 is going to be so different to Diablo Immortals, why announce them both to the same audience? That's what I don't understand. While I'm definitely hoping Immortals comes out with a fair MTX model and proves me wrong here, I can't help but feel it's just a test to see how far they can push the boundaries with their core audience - see just how much they'll accept. Activision have done this previously with the CoD series, for example.
    Last edited by BURN_BABY; 23rd October 2019 at 3:49 pm.

10. Post
    Last PC game I bought before going to consoles. Good times May 2012, upgraded the gfx card, got a Life chair. Witchdoctor freeze build got me invited to many parties.

Not ashamed to say the main reason for getting D3 was the auction house. If they were to bring that back I'll spring for a gaming laptop and put the ps5 on hold.

11. Post
    Cant believe it was over 7 years ago fark. I took time off work for launch to play it, that didnt work out to be useful lols.

12. Post
    GeneralZod wrote:
    Last PC game I bought before going to consoles. Good times May 2012, upgraded the gfx card, got a Life chair. Witchdoctor freeze build got me invited to many parties.

Not ashamed to say the main reason for getting D3 was the auction house. If they were to bring that back I'll spring for a gaming laptop and put the ps5 on hold.
    I can only pray they that the auction house remains gone. It completely broke the balance of the game. Making it objectively worse as a result.
    I know some people gamed the hell out of it though and more power to them, but it was bad for the game.

13. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    So? The greediness of publishers and their methods for fleecing their paypig customers has changed since then. Up until very recently we hadn't seen core audience focused Fallout with a cash shop and P2W micro-transactions. Up until about decade ago the norm for fighting games was that alternative costumes were free and were unlocked by achieving certain accomplishments from playing the game. Now it's the norm for the costumes to all be sold to you as separate purchases.
    Blind optimism as a consumer in current times is idiocy. Being critical and cynical as the default position is common sense.

Overwatch? Oh, that game with the aggressive slot machine gambling mechanics that takes advantage of children and people with addictive personalities? Gotcha.

Here's the thing about live service games, they're usually ever evolving products. Popular opinion will change over time and online MP focused games live or die by their popularity. The hardcore players of the game had been complaining how "broken" the game had been for the past year at least. There are comprehensive videos on Youtube with hundreds of thousands to millions of hits on this very topic.

14. Post
    ChrisB wrote:

lmao

Auction House optimized itemization = microtransaction
    Necromancer = DLC
    China's D3 = has microtransaction
    RoS = Expansion requirement, pump n dump
    Console multiplayer ridden with cheats yet nothing being done = might offend china

Half of the work being done on Diablo 4 is probably on how to squeeze max amount of money out of people, while retaining the playerbase.

15. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    As has been pointed out above that is just flat out wrong. Necomancer DLC for $25, PS4 has the infernal helm DLC for $8 and the real world cash auction house... not to mention the reportedly P2W mobile version.
    What Blizzard fan boys seem to ignore is the company we now have is not the developer we remember from the 90's. 2008, merged with the mega-corp to become ACTIVISION Blizzard. Activision who openly admit to being all about the microtransaction bollocks and who made $4 billion last year in after purchase add-on sales.
    You don't get a company making those kinds of amounts, who are given an IP like Diablo which is based around loot, and expect them not to Activision all over that.

16. Post
    serious>klown wrote:
    lmao

Auction House optimized itemization = microtransaction
    Necromancer = DLC
    China's D3 = has microtransaction
    RoS = Expansion requirement, pump n dump
    Console multiplayer ridden with cheats yet nothing being done = might offend china

Half of the work being done on Diablo 4 is probably on how to squeeze max amount of money out of people, while retaining the playerbase.
    I think I should point some things out here.

- The Auction house was removed. Was apologized for, and the person responsible for it "left" the team. It was also not microtransactions in the traditional sense as they were items from other player. But nuance is not something I've seen from the braying hordes up until this point. And tbh I had blocked its awfulness from my mind. That was a shit idea badly implemented that adversely affected the game and player enjoyment.

- RoS - was a full expansion and you could still play the game normally. You were NOT required to buy it to play online with others and can join games with the new content.

- DLC. Go back the read again. The point being made was "dlc requiring". There is no requirement to buy the DLC. Simple as that. It was however something developed after launch and therefore had a development cost associated with it. Are you suggesting DLC should be free? It would be nice, and some do provide that. But its not the norm, nor is it a reasonable expectation imo.

- Cheats/Hacks I made no comment on. They suck. They exist. Not something limited to D3 or even a small section of online games, and is rife for any client side console game with online features. So I hope you're taking your righteous fury to every other developer in this position.

- China and microtransations. Most of the world isn't in China. And yes it does operate differently for MANY games. They have a massive userbase but one that does not buy games. Their gaming culture is like Korea in many ways is based on gaming cafes or game stores where the games are installed on the stores machines and gamers use a profile to sign-in. Cosmetic micro-transactions are there in lieu of game sales. A lot of games use this model there because selling their games is just not going to happen.

I stand by my points. And am still waiting for someone to point out anything tangible about why all of a sudden people are flinging so much shit at Blizzard. I see fear mongering with little to no actual evidence to back it up.
    I prefer to keep my expectations tethered to what is known, and previous behaviours. Aside from the Auction house I've not had a problem with any Blizzard games, even the ones I don't like (Overwatch and LoLite), but thats a game preference thing rather than an issue with game quality.

17. Post
    Auction house was most likely removed because how incredibly easy it was for criminals to move/empty out credit cards/launder money. Like bitcoins but it worked.

Players get random drops.
    Player B buys the better item from Player A, blizzard gets a cut.
    Straight forward microtransaction.

How is having a whole class missing is not a "required" DLC, when the only few things left to do is push rankings/grind in groups?

18. Post
    Missing?
    It was created 5 years after the game was released. 3 years after the expansion. It limits nothing except specifically that single new class. You can play all modes, have access to all content, and can play with literally every other player in the game. Hardly what anyone could reasonably consider required.
    It's not missing. It was added well after the fact. Diablo 3 was/is a complete product. It was expanded with an (optional) story expansion, and again in the most minor of ways with Rise of the Necromancer. All of the other additions released with the expansion were included for all players (Challenge Rifts, new zones and bounties, character slots, stash tabs, cosmetics, and merchant upgrades).
    Last edited by ChrisB; 25th October 2019 at 12:08 am.

19. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Missing?
    Activision has been caught multiple times selling on disc DLC. The features are already provided, all you get is an unlock code when you pay. People were initially confused as to why the DLC download was done in a second, then it became apparent that they had pay walled features to resell.
    It is cheaper for a company to release a single copy of their game rather than multiple editions, due to this we all get the same product but some are downgraded.
    Blizzard make good games, Activision hacks chunks out to resell. Diablo 4 will most likely be a great game, but sadly it is likely to have Activision's fingers in it. It is that interference that annoyed the CoD and Destiny communities, and you can be sure the mobile pay to win Diablo game was not Blizzard's idea and it was not created by the team at Blizzard.
    I fully admit my rage is completely impotent, there is nothing I or anyone in the community can do to change monetisation schemes when companies like Activision can pull in $4 billion per year on microtransactions. They make our games objectionably worse but that is now the norm.

20. Post
    Wertbag wrote:
    Activision has been caught multiple times selling on disc DLC. The features are already provided, all you get is an unlock code when you pay. People were initially confused as to why the DLC download was done in a second, then it became apparent that they had pay walled features to resell.
    It is cheaper for a company to release a single copy of their game rather than multiple editions, due to this we all get the same product but some are downgraded.
    Blizzard make good games, Activision hacks chunks out to resell. Diablo 4 will most likely be a great game, but sadly it is likely to have Activision's fingers in it. It is that interference that annoyed the CoD and Destiny communities, and you can be sure the mobile pay to win Diablo game was not Blizzard's idea and it was not created by the team at Blizzard.
    I fully admit my rage is completely impotent, there is nothing I or anyone in the community can do to change monetisation schemes when companies like Activision can pull in $4 billion per year on microtransactions. They make our games objectionably worse but that is now the norm.
    What!?
    That "missing" refers to a specific example of something that happened and you're now trying to transform that into a completely fabricated future scenario based on nothing that is the exact opposite of what happened in that example. This is the garbage I am talking about. And no different than people losing their shit over the "best game of all time coming soon, I must preorder and spread hype" bollocks just the other side of the coin.
    Your rage is not only impotent, at this point is also directed at self-created fiction. There is literally no information at all about Diablo 4. Not one solid piece of information. Maybe wait until there is actual information out there before commenting on what the game will be.

Literally every Blizzard game up until this point has been a critical, commercial, and player success (except that Heroes of the Storm), that one was just generally beloved by a smaller fan base rather than a smash hit.
    Using your own logic it would be more reasonable to expect the game to be good, balanced, and polished. You know, Blizzard's actual legacy. Could they end up like another BioWare, sure. But, lets actually see if Acti screw up Blizzard like EA did Bioware before dumping on them.

Also, any gaming publisher/developer with the resources that doesn't look to tap into the mobile market is actively limiting themselves.

21. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Your rage is not only impotent, at this point is also directed at self-created fiction.
    Bollocks. I just gave more examples, in addition to the examples already given as to why Activision is widely disliked by the gaming community and have never said anything about the quality of the future game. The statement that caused you to rage was saying I fully expect Diablo 4 to be heavily monetized, and that is a statement clearly based on Activision's business activities up until now. We have their own statements saying they are all about the money. These are the guys in control of the games being produced. Are you actually going to say that while we have numerous examples of these guys being shady, releasing games with pieces cut out and making games worse with their input that they will not do that going forward?
    These statements are based on history. The fears for what they will do is grounded in them having already done it multiple times before. Its not self created fiction when we are pointing to real world examples of these things happening. The question is not whether they will effect the development of Diablo 4, the question is to what degree. We absolutely will need to wait and see, but don't be na´ve enough to think it will be zero impact.

22. Post
    It's a real shame that people now equate imagination with reality. But I guess some people just can't help themselves and I can't be bothered to try and point out the numerous failings in your "logic"

I will leave this pointless thread with a quote from from Philip Defranco
    Why be informed when you can use feelings as your facts?

23. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    It's a real shame that people now equate imagination with reality. But I guess some people just can't help themselves and I can't be bothered to try and point out the numerous failings in your "logic"
    Pigeon meet chess board.

The correct answer to someone saying "I expect a modern AAA game to be monetized" is "No shit Sherlock".
    You don't even see the contradiction of saying we can set our expectations of Blizzard on their history, yet for some reason we shouldn't set our expectations of Activision on theirs.

24. Post
    The last truly great release by Blizzard was over a decade ago, why on earth would anyone NOT be skeptical about the company? Particularly when their focus has been on the ever increasing MTX in WoW, cynically monetized Hearthstone and the blatant cash grab which is OWL?

I'm not trying to start shit here, but how on earth can you so consistently and aggressively be out of touch yet act like your opinion is the only one with any credibility at all times ChrisB? The only people left on these forums are also experienced gamers, not some random bozos who got into gaming with some FOTM craze. Why do you always feel the need to act as if you are somehow more informed or experienced and result to passive aggressive attacks?

25. Post
    I just checked season rankings for d3.
    solo rankings are wizards and necromancers.
    every top 2-4 man teams have necromancers.

could it be? blizzard's dlc is intentionally overpowered?