1. Post

NordVPN was hacked

Just saw this pop up in my youtube feed. Passing it along in case anyone here uses said VPN.

2. Post
    Yeah, watched that this morning. Had just purchased a one month sub to them as well. Not that It effects me though but I would have chosen someone else in light of it.

3. Post
    Here's the original article. While I definitely agree with Jay's points about disclosure, it seems like just about every VPN has pulled the same stunt before with trying to hide the breach. It isn't very helpful to say 'I think everyone should use a VPN service' without at least pointing in the direction of one that hasn't pulled this stunt before. Which VPN host can be trusted, other than one that's been created for only yourself?

If NordVPN is being honest here though, at least this breach seems somewhat minor compared to other popular VPN providers. I'd like to hear Vulcan's thoughts on this though.

4. Post
    I got hacked off with a couple of the vpn providers as Netflix stone walled alot of the VPN providers.

Going from the article I read on PC Gamer. It was one of the Finnish servers.

5. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    If NordVPN is being honest here though, at least this breach seems somewhat minor compared to other popular VPN providers. I'd like to hear Vulcan's thoughts on this though.
    The reason for the breach given is fishy as. Google services like this ownerships, also check out the reports on bandwidth sharing some providers so. You get a picture that the VPN market is dodgy AF.

6. Post
    ^Yeah, it's shady as hell alright. Unfortunately, if you want US Netlix or streaming network TV, there's not much of a choice but to deal with these guys. I guess the only thing you can do is make sure you only enable the VPN while streaming and if possible, try and keep it to the endpoints and isolate it as much as you can from everything else.

7. Post
    not a good response from Nord.

PIA is still good.

8. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    not a good response from Nord.

PIA is still good.
    Sounds like PIA seem to be having a tough time connecting to Netflix though, anyone here using it?

9. Post
    If you are concerned about VPN security and looking at different providers, consider the DIY approach with Algo.

10. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    Sounds like PIA seem to be having a tough time connecting to Netflix though, anyone here using it?
    Seems fine now - https://amp.reddit.com/r/PrivateInte...ming_services/

But if all you're using the vpn for is watching streams you may as well use the cheapest one, privacy doesn't seem that important here.

11. Post
    Surely anyone who had anything of worth to secure wasn't relying on a 3rd party.
    It should be expected that at some point someone is trying to inspect your packets even your VPN provider or their hackers.

12. Post
    scholar wrote:
    If you are concerned about VPN security and looking at different providers, consider the DIY approach with Algo.
    Does not install Tor, OpenVPN, or other risky servers
    lol at calling OpenVPN risky while using WireGuard, even the devs say it's still experimental.

13. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    lol at calling OpenVPN risky while using WireGuard, even the devs say it's still experimental.
    WireGuard is likely to be mainlined in the 5.6 kernel. Good enough for me...