Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Do TradeMe Enjoy Being Wankers?

Why has no one being able to compete against these pricks? THeir prices, their outdated and awful site, they bullshit policies. About time someone created something.

I had a personal account for selling home stuff and a business account that I sold business things through (for obvious reasons). They've blocked them both saying you can't operate two accounts. **** them.

2. Post
    kopkiwi wrote:
    Why has no one being able to compete against these pricks? THeir prices, their outdated and awful site, they bullshit policies. About time someone created something.

I had a personal account for selling home stuff and a business account that I sold business things through (for obvious reasons). They've blocked them both saying you can't operate two accounts. **** them.
    Facebook has competed

3. Post
    Yep, I got banned for asking what an item was when the picture was posted upside down. Mods are on a serious power trip on the Christchurch marketplace.

4. Post
    Of course they do.

Also they've got like three websites at the moment and they're all missing features that the other has.
    So you have to switch between them to get the full website.

Eg, you can't edit a computer listing on the desktop site without losing the core count, you cannot set it ever again on desktop. You can edit it on the mobile site but you have to set the specs every time (so you can't edit on mobile without losing them). And you can't add Book a Courier to a listing on the mobile site.

These vary if you're on the new desktop site.

5. Post
    I find it annoying I can't use my photos that's from my phone on the desktop version yet It's fine on the mobile version. Other than that I think they're fine. But banning your 2 accounts So you can't have your own business and a different personal account that's totally loopy..

6. Post
    Oh yeah, and their terrible file size limits for photos. Resize them on the fly and delete the files afterwards, man.

The success rate of taking a photo on a modern phone and being able to use it without ****ing around is low.

Their upload will be way higher than their download, so opening it up to like 10 or even 30MB for images wouldn't tip that balance.

7. Post
    It's not like they can't afford the server space with the fees they charge. Pity it's nigh on impossible for any potential competitor to reach the critical mass that would be required for them to actually be competitive. I don't really count Facebook because it's not auction based and there's an even greater chance of having to deal with douche bags.

8. Post
    There were plenty of trademe competitors over the years, they all died off (aside from FB now). Mainly because more views = generally higher sell price - new website = less views. People are reluctant to shift. FB hit the ground running because it already has a huge membership who will view products.

9. Post
    https://www.allgoods.co.nz/auctions/home

it has the potential but needs a fair bit of work to get close to TM first, before it could surpass it.

10. Post
    focus wrote:
    https://www.allgoods.co.nz/auctions/home

it has the potential but needs a fair bit of work to get close to TM first, before it could surpass it.
    hmm

11. Post
    Man, they've really dug themselves into the Javascript train on that site. Completely and utterly blows up with noscript on.

12. Post
    Even if someone had a better website, they'd still be ****ed without a large user base. As someone already said, you can't really attract new users if you don't already have a large and active user base. No chicken = no egg, no egg = no chicken.

Don't think TM will ever die until they make enough bad decisions of their own to make masses of people want to leave.

13. Post
    I'm guessing your business account wasn't marked 'in trade' hence being shut down.

14. Post
    facebook marketplace chipping away at trademe's share for sure.

15. Post
    Chunky wrote:
    I'm guessing your business account wasn't marked 'in trade' hence being shut down.
    This. As I operate four accounts just fine.

16. Post
    My biggest issue is trying to filter out hundreds upon hundreds of 'international' results from the search listings (and of course when you do, then suddenly 95% of the results disappear and nothing you want remains there).

17. Post
    I also had my account closed because I wouldn't provide a passport (don't have one) or driver's license (don't drive). They claimed that I had another account (which is true, I just don't remember it/it was probably from like 2001, long lost the ISP email address and I don't even remember what the username was). They're impossible to deal with, no one working there seems to actually want to help their users.

18. Post
    Facebook marketplace still shoves messages about buying items into the sellers "other folder" which means they won't see the message unless they go out of their way to check the folder, unless you're friends with the seller already. Theres also no form of buyer protection so you have to do every trade in person.

I don't care about the lack of auction though. I ignore every auction-only listing on trademe, which is another thing about tardme I don't like: tons of auctions without buy now's.

19. Post
    The fees on trademe are borderline criminal. Someone needs to compete...

20. Post
    ALTER. wrote:
    I also had my account closed because I wouldn't provide a passport (don't have one) or driver's license (don't drive). They claimed that I had another account (which is true, I just don't remember it/it was probably from like 2001, long lost the ISP email address and I don't even remember what the username was). They're impossible to deal with, no one working there seems to actually want to help their users.
    You can get an kiwiaccess card(formerly 18+ card) which is valid photo ID for $55, valid 10 years.

TM have the right to protect their users and business. Plenty of people sell a bunch of stuf and then fail to pay the success fees owed, they have every right to deny them service on a new account.

nzbleach wrote:
    The fees on trademe are borderline criminal. Someone needs to compete...
    Yeah, only positive is they don't double dip like ebay+Paypal, TM is lower fees than ebay for alot of items

21. Post
    Chunky wrote:
    You can get an kiwiaccess card(formerly 18+ card) which is valid photo ID for $55, valid 10 years.

TM have the right to protect their users and business. Plenty of people sell a bunch of stuf and then fail to pay the success fees owed, they have every right to deny them service on a new account.
    Don't care, they wouldn't even tell me what the original account username / email address I had was. I have actually never felt so personally harrassed via email in all my life. Why would I spend $55 so some ex-Kiwibank cuck can "verify" my existence? Why would I even bother? Trademe is not as important as what they think they are.

22. Post
    Meanwhile
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/community/...privacy-policy

no more opt out on marketing tracking wooooooooooooooooooooooooo

23. Post
    Trademe has been very subpar for a while, but they can be pretty half assed about it when everybody doesn't really have any other options. And the amount of $$ they charge for success fees is actually rather ridiculous

There's been a few small auctionstyle sites try, but they never end up 'big' enough to compare and eventually fail. Kind of sad really.

24. Post
    In short yes, they closed my first ever account and kept my $10 bond for "having multiple accounts and doing bad things".
    I only found out when i tried to use the site after not logging in for almost a year.
    They couldnt provide me with any details about anything and their decision was final.
    I thought, sweet as, thats your game, started a new account and paid $10, listed a whole lot of stuff and sold it at once, account was about $150 in debt, sweet, ill just not use that account again.
    TLDR: **** tardme.

25. Post
    Good idea. Might do the same. Just start a new account every time I want to sell something. Those listing fees already more than enough profit for the service provided.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk