Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 26

  1. Globe
    #1

    DNS on phone for restricted content

    What are the best apps for bypassing geo-restrictions while traveling? I was recommended a Trust DNS app and some VPNs, but the later are usually terrible for speed. So I'm really thinking about a basic dns resolver. Have you heard about this trust dns? Or even tried it maybe? Would be interesting to know more opinions about this issue in general.

  2. Post
    #2
    Off-topic on-topic. Can anyone recommend a good nz based vpn?
    Let me be more specific, not nordvpn or expressvpn or some other shite, but a hole-in-the-wall nz-based vpn.

  3. Post
    #3
    Glory Hole VPN?

  4. Post
    #4
    IPVanish works great on all my devices.
    Last edited by Mancubus; 2nd November 2019 at 10:48 pm.

  5. Post
    #5
    Mancubus wrote:
    IPVanish works great on all my devices.
    How well does it work for e.g. Netflix?
    Last edited by Mancubus; 2nd November 2019 at 10:48 pm.

  6. Post
    #6
    Provided you do everything in the right order and choose the right server, it works good. It can be a bit of trial and error to begin with though.

  7. Post
    #7
    massive wrote:
    Off-topic on-topic. Can anyone recommend a good nz based vpn?
    Let me be more specific, not nordvpn or expressvpn or some other shite, but a hole-in-the-wall nz-based vpn.
    Why not rent a VPS and run OpenVPN?

  8. Post
    #8
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Why not rent a VPS and run OpenVPN?
    Because that had not occured to me, as I have no idea what I'm doing, and all my home server stuff is cobled together based on tips friends have given me.
    Cheers!

  9. Post
    #9
    I use Private Internet Access VPN for the time being because I got a 1 year sub dirt cheap in an old Humble Bundle. It works pretty well on both PC and Android IMO.

    Downside is you probably won't be able to see region locked Netflix content. I can confirm that it doesn't work on Amazon Prime Video, at least.

    AFAIK Express VPN has been confirmed to bypass Prime Video and the like, but it's also the most expensive on the market.

    If you're worried about keeping your tracks clean then something like Nord VPN is recommended, because they operate our of Panama, who have no data retention laws.

  10. Post
    #10
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    I use Private Internet Access VPN for the time being because I got a 1 year sub dirt cheap in an old Humble Bundle. It works pretty well on both PC and Android IMO.

    Downside is you probably won't be able to see region locked Netflix content. I can confirm that it doesn't work on Amazon Prime Video, at least.

    AFAIK Express VPN has been confirmed to bypass Prime Video and the like, but it's also the most expensive on the market.

    If you're worried about keeping your tracks clean then something like Nord VPN is recommended, because they operate our of Panama, who have no data retention laws.
    Didn't they have a leak just recently? No data released but it doesn't really inspire confidence in them. You are right about the location though, anywhere that is a haven for hiding money is generally pretty good at not retaining data.

  11. Post
    #11
    Nord got hacked in Finland (supposedly via an insecure BMC interface LOL). Using a commercial VPN you're going to get ****ed one way or another. Spend 20 mins reading a howto on running your own OpenVPN instance (or let's connect for that matter) and stick it on OVH or GCP. About the same price, better speeds, full port forwarding etc.

    Haven't tried Cloudflare's Warp yet, but it might break geolocation in a useful way.

  12. Post
    #12
    JC wrote:
    Haven't tried Cloudflare's Warp yet, but it might break geolocation in a useful way.
    Probably not. The original IP is still visible to websites you visit, and CF is large enough that Netflix/Amazon/etc. have probably blacklisted CF's IP ranges anyway.

  13. Post
    #13
    Cloudflare shouldn't be trusted. They were quick sellout to 8chan after Chch and Daily Stormer after Charlottesville upon mainstream urinalism pressure. What makes you think they won't hand over one's torrenting activities under entertainment industry pressure?

  14. Post
    #14
    Prefer Wireguard to OpenVPN. Way less bullshit. Easy as with https://github.com/subspacecloud/subspace too

    Oh, and if you're looking for a provider with exit nodes in NZ, Mullvad have some (and use Wireguard too!)

  15. Post
    #15
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Cloudflare shouldn't be trusted. They were quick sellout to 8chan after Chch and Daily Stormer after Charlottesville upon mainstream urinalism pressure. What makes you think they won't hand over one's torrenting activities under entertainment industry pressure?
    Their performance is crap too, was just about to use it on my site as a CDN when I realised that they might serve my site from Hong Kong or Japan instead of NZ if the user's on Spark. The heck is the point of a CDN that does that?

    frio wrote:
    Prefer Wireguard to OpenVPN. Way less bullshit. Easy as with https://github.com/subspacecloud/subspace too

    Oh, and if you're looking for a provider with exit nodes in NZ, Mullvad have some (and use Wireguard too!)
    It's not quite ready for primetime yet though, from their own website

    WireGuard is currently working toward a stable 1.0 release. Current snapshots are generally versioned "0.0.YYYYMMDD" or "0.0.V", but these should not be considered real releases and they may contain security quirks (which would not be eligible for CVEs, since this is pre-release snapshot software). This text will be removed after a thorough audit.
    It hasn't even been properly audited yet, better stick to OpenVPN until it is.

  16. Post
    #16
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    Their performance is crap too, was just about to use it on my site as a CDN when I realised that they might serve my site from Hong Kong or Japan instead of NZ if the user's on Spark. The heck is the point of a CDN that does that?
    When I was with Spark/Bigpipe sites using CloudFlare were typically served from Australia, because Spark don't peer openly in NZ.

  17. Post
    #17
    JC wrote:
    Nord got hacked in Finland (supposedly via an insecure BMC interface LOL). Using a commercial VPN you're going to get ****ed one way or another. Spend 20 mins reading a howto on running your own OpenVPN instance (or let's connect for that matter) and stick it on OVH or GCP. About the same price, better speeds, full port forwarding etc.

    Haven't tried Cloudflare's Warp yet, but it might break geolocation in a useful way.
    I only use NordVPN to watch American Netflix, as they haven't banned their exit servers yet. I'm not too worried if someone's watching what I watch on Nitflux.

    No issues with the app on iOS or Android.

  18. Post
    #18
    massive wrote:
    Because that had not occured to me, as I have no idea what I'm doing, and all my home server stuff is cobled together based on tips friends have given me.
    Cheers!
    Hahaha, fair enough. According to this dubious looking site, a fair few VPN providers offer NZ servers:
    https://www.ki-wi.co.nz/best-vpn-new-zealand/

    If you’re a New Zealand expat looking for the best vpn for accessing NZ content then you’ll be pleased to note all the providers featured in this article offer a server in Auckland or Christchurch, allowing you to connect back to New Zealand from anywhere in the world and watch channels such as OneOnDemand, Sky Sports Go and TV3 Online.

  19. Post
    #19
    saajiik wrote:
    When I was with Spark/Bigpipe sites using CloudFlare were typically served from Australia, because Spark don't peer openly in NZ.
    That's not the case on mine at all, for example

    Pinging www.geekzone.co.nz [104.24.2.14] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 104.24.2.14: bytes=32 time=142ms TTL=53
    Reply from 104.24.2.14: bytes=32 time=142ms TTL=53
    Reply from 104.24.2.14: bytes=32 time=142ms TTL=53
    Reply from 104.24.2.14: bytes=32 time=142ms TTL=53

    colo=NRT
    http=http/2
    loc=NZ
    tls=TLSv1.3
    sni=plaintext
    warp=off
    NRT points to a Japanese airport, which would align with the latency. Same thing happens for the SFMarathon and SEO sites listed in the cloudflare blog.

    You'd be much better off with a Aussie/NZ host with no CDN if the majority of your target audience is in this part of the world.

  20. Post
    #20
    Hmm, according to this they've got Cloudflare sites in Aussie and NZ: https://www.cloudflarestatus.com

    Auckland, New Zealand - (AKL) Operational
    Brisbane, QLD, Australia - (BNE) Operational
    Melbourne, VIC, Australia - (MEL) Operational
    Perth, WA, Australia - (PER) Operational
    Sydney, NSW, Australia - (SYD) Operational

  21. Post
    #21
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Hmm, according to this they've got Cloudflare sites in Aussie and NZ: https://www.cloudflarestatus.com
    Except if you're on Spark, you don't get to use those. It seems that only the sites that pull in the big $$$ only get to use the Australian server as well. Thus, can't route to Auckland, can't route to AU - 'oh, your nearest server is Japan then'.

    Due to high costs of providing service in Australia currently only Business and Enterprise customers utilize the OZ POPs. As our footprint and peering options improve in the region this may change.
    I can somewhat understand the reasoning with the bandwidth costs (not the Spark peering though, talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face) but unfortunately, not many small businesses with mostly NZ customers seem to have got the memo and are still using CF despite making latency much worse.

    All the meanwhile, Cloudflare is falsely advertising that all plans come with access to all 194 colocation servers when comparing plans (note the tick icon) https://www.cloudflare.com/plans/#compare-features

    Our 194 data centers located across the globe provide visitors with location-based access to your website, while removing latency and improving performance.
    Last edited by BURN_BABY; 1st November 2019 at 5:28 pm.

  22. Post
    #22
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    Except if you're on Spark, you don't get to use those. It seems that only the sites that pull in the big $$$ only get to use the Australian server as well. Thus, can't route to Auckland, can't route to AU - 'oh, your nearest server is Japan then'.
    I don't think the "big $$$" part is strictly true anymore: one of my own sites on CF is served from an AU node and it hardly gets any traffic. The same applies to various other sites I know use CF, Geekzone included. I'm not with Spark, though, so there could be different rules applied for Spark, or it could be Spark's own routing policies.

  23. Post
    #23
    saajiik wrote:
    I don't think the "big $$$" part is strictly true anymore: one of my own sites on CF is served from an AU node and it hardly gets any traffic. The same applies to various other sites I know use CF, Geekzone included. I'm not with Spark, though, so there could be different rules applied for Spark, or it could be Spark's own routing policies.
    That may the case on other ISPs but, at least, in the case of my analytics, the largest ISP of my users is Spark, so it becomes a case of slowing down a vast proportion of users for an insignificant gain if you host your site in Australia anyway. No matter which way you slice it, It's difficult for me to see it as anything other than a dumb idea to use CF if you serve mostly Kiwi customers.
    Last edited by BURN_BABY; 2nd November 2019 at 2:27 pm.

  24. Post
    #24
    Until you get DoSed, I guess.

  25. Post
    #25
    frio wrote:
    Until you get DoSed, I guess.
    Because Cloudflare is the only CDN that exists, right?
    Last edited by BURN_BABY; 2nd November 2019 at 10:15 pm.