Running Ethernet - Should I?

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Firstly i'd map out under the floor, mark all services, wires etc. Then i'd get a silly long small drill bit that you can drill from outside the wall (think someone floated the idea above), on an angle. So you'd cut a flushbox sized hole say 200mm off floor. Angle drill bit down inside the hole to hit the bottom plate of the wall then drill through. Probably only need a 10mm-15mm bit to easily pass a bit of CAT6 through.

Where are you based?

Purely for examples sake I checked Tool Shed and you can get a 12mm by 380mm bit for ~$40.

Could save time / holes drilled too if you put them in locations where they back on to another connection.
    Based in akl so shouldn't have a problem finding bits. Thanks for the suggestion.

WeenieBeenie wrote:
    Yea you don't need a big hole. 10mm will be plenty for a cat6. Like Frag said, cut your flush box hole and then use a long bit to drill down. Keep the drill as straight as possible. But just be careful not to rub the moving parts of the drill on your wall and mark it. It's really easy. Check under the house where you plan on drilling through though. Don't want to hit a pipe or a mains cable.
    Probably my biggest fear is this. Hitting a mains or plumbing then I'm ****ed.

Bobs wrote:
    Just punch a hole in the ceiling, run it through the ceiling space, punch another hole where you want it to go out.

No need to terminate the cables either. That's for plebs. Just drill a bigger hole and squeeze the entire thing through as is.

Job done and have a beer.
    Easiest way to do this definitely.

krashersmasher wrote:
    That's basically how I do it but use the floor

Are there metal plates underneath?

2. Post
    No metal.

3. Post
    Tried to get in to the ceiling and there's insulation which makes it 10000 deg up there so that's a no go.

Will be looking to get under the house and hopefully not blocked by plumbing and electricals.

4. Post
    Roofspace is a crack of dawn job, before sun has made the space thermonuclear. I would go underfloor though due to the connections being near the floor. Unless someone has put down black plastic it's going to suck. But you could have it done in a day and soon forget about it when you're enjoying reliable speeds.

5. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Roofspace is a crack of dawn job, before sun has made the space thermonuclear. I would go underfloor though due to the connections being near the floor. Unless someone has put down black plastic it's going to suck. But you could have it done in a day and soon forget about it when you're enjoying reliable speeds.
    Funny story as I just looked under the house and there is black plastic and crawl space is minimal.... I think I might have to give this up and get a good powerline adapter or run the ethernet across the hallway which will be ugly af.

I have to say there's a lot of good info here that I'll be using when I get a new place. thanks a ton guys.

6. Post
    yuRiko wrote:
    Tried to get in to the ceiling and there's insulation which makes it 10000 deg up there so that's a no go.

Will be looking to get under the house and hopefully not blocked by plumbing and electricals.
    Hey mate I actually ran a cat6 for myself at home yesterday. The exact same thing you want to do, so I took a few photos as I did it, maybe they will help you a bit.

Gear I used. Punch down tool, Faceplate, Mech, and Flush box. Aside from the punch down tool you obviously need 2 of each of these.
    The flush box here is for when you don't have a stud to screw your box to. This type actually just grabs both sides of the gib and tightens when you screw your plate on. I used a normal one at one end where I had a stud and then this one at the other end where it was just hollow wall. Quite honestly you could probably get away with no box at all. Just screw the plate to the wall. Since it's a data outlet you're not likely to plug and unplug constantly. Flush box is better though.

Before

Cut flush box hole and drill down. (I went under and checked it was clear before drilling)

I pushed a flexi bit of plastic down the hole and taped on my cable. Probably would have been fine just pushing the cable straight down the hole.

What it looked like underneath. No idea how your house is constructed, but chances are it will be similar.

This is my hole at the other end. That white cable is the fibre going up into the lounge so I made sure to drill well clear of that. Again check before you drill.

Terminated cables. They can be a bit fiddly. There's a little diagram that shows you what colours to use. Use the 'A' pattern at both ends. This bit then just clicks straight into your plate.

Finished.

I made up a couple of Cat6 patch leads to go from my new outlets to the router and PC, but you can just buy some if you don't have any at home.
    It's honestly pretty easy. Easier with 2 people, but it only took me a couple of hours on my own including all the tidy up.

7. Post
    If you won't get into the ceiling space because there's insulation up there, and you won't get under the floor because there's black polythene down there, i'm gonna say you're not cut out for the job.

8. Post
    If you have black plastic down, that means it's doable at least. Just pay a sparky to suss it if not keen.

WeenieBeenie, nice write up!

9. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    If you have black plastic down, that means it's doable at least. Just pay a sparky to suss it if not keen.

WeenieBeenie, nice write up!
    How much does it cost?

10. Post
    Best to call a local sparky.