1. Post

AMD Cooling?

Hi all,

A mate has just finished a new build utilising an AMD 3600 and Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt. I've only ever been intel/nvidia myself (likely to change soon) so am unsure what the wraith cooler or the GPU cooler is like. I have heard the 5700xt runs hot and he only has 1x 120mm case exhaust fan.

I am talking to him to at least get some intakes which he will be doing as with summer coming up I think he will run into thermal problems, his place is like an oven. Does he need to look at a cpu cooler also given the cards possible propensity to run on the warm side?

2. Post
    Th3WhiteKnight wrote:
    Hi all,

A mate has just finished a new build utilising an AMD 3600 and Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt. I've only ever been intel/nvidia myself (likely to change soon) so am unsure what the wraith cooler or the GPU cooler is like. I have heard the 5700xt runs hot and he only has 1x 120mm case exhaust fan.

I am talking to him to at least get some intakes which he will be doing as with summer coming up I think he will run into thermal problems, his place is like an oven. Does he need to look at a cpu cooler also given the cards possible propensity to run on the warm side?
    Personally, for the CPU, the stock cooler runs just fine but it is hot and loud. Not as loud as the old shitty ones you used to get with every CPU but still a shadow of a cheap tower cooler. I reccommend getting a cheap 212 or a cryorig and you can have piece of mind that its running quiet and cool 24/7 for very little investment.

The GPU, someone else might have to chime in, personally, I own the AMD 390x which also runs hot and the thing is so loud and painful that I had to water cool it just to keeo it quiet. I hope that with better thermal efficiency, the 5700XT is a bit quieter and cooler but I haven't seen one in action. However you have very limited options here aside from just better case intake or adjusting the fan curve.

3. Post
    Ballistica wrote:
    Personally, for the CPU, the stock cooler runs just fine but it is hot and loud. Not as loud as the old shitty ones you used to get with every CPU but still a shadow of a cheap tower cooler. I reccommend getting a cheap 212 or a cryorig and you can have piece of mind that its running quiet and cool 24/7 for very little investment.

The GPU, someone else might have to chime in, personally, I own the AMD 390x which also runs hot and the thing is so loud and painful that I had to water cool it just to keeo it quiet. I hope that with better thermal efficiency, the 5700XT is a bit quieter and cooler but I haven't seen one in action. However you have very limited options here aside from just better case intake or adjusting the fan curve.
    Cheers for the info. I'll get him to have a look at the 212 or cryorig. Personally I would have got one at the same time as the build but this is his first in probably 10 years and was pretty keen on doing it all himself. Yeah with the GPU it might just be a case of adding case fans.

4. Post
    Sort case cooling and that is half the job done. I run 3 intakes in the front and 1 exhaust in the rear. The rest of the hot air is pushed out all the other holes in the case. I was using a mates ITX build on the weekend and he has ZERO case fans, the thing was cooking itself to death...

CPU cooler will be sufficient, but aftermarket will do a better job with less noise.
    GPU wise, that model actually runs at reasonable temps at lowish noise levels, so long as case temps are kept in check (add moooore fans). I've always had more intake fans than exhaust so that the only air coming into the case is via the dust filtered section.

5. Post
    Actually CPU cooler wise you could probably pick up a stock cooler off trademe for an X CPU that come with better ones. I run a 2700X cooler on my Ryzen 1600, only time it's audible is when gaming, when I have my headset on so I never hear it. None listed currently though, but i've seen them in the past for $20, which is also what I paid for mine.

6. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Actually CPU cooler wise you could probably pick up a stock cooler off trademe for an X CPU that come with better ones. I run a 2700X cooler on my Ryzen 1600, only time it's audible is when gaming, when I have my headset on so I never hear it. None listed currently though, but i've seen them in the past for $20, which is also what I paid for mine.
    Oh yep that sounds good. I'll get onto it with him this weekend. Thanks for your help and suggestions, much appreciated.

7. Post
    I got a new 3600x - found the cooler (wraith spire i think?) pretty noisy plus ran a bit hot (im using to a non stock cooler with my old intel cpu)

switched it out pretty quick for a nh-d15

would always recommend a non stock cooler seems to make a lot of difference

8. Post
    What is considered hot? I'm playing BF1 at the moment and I'm sitting at just under 60 degrees C. That's with the stock cooler.

9. Post
    I'd say north of 70 for hot. Mine usually hits 60 or so when gaming, which is perfectly fine.

10. Post
    stock cooler is fine, but its too noisy for me