Results 1 to 17 of 17

  1. Post
    #1

    A good place to shop for a gaming TV?

    Hi guys. Looking for a bit of advice.

    I'm in the market for something for gaming on my PS4 but I'm not sure if I should get a TV or monitor. I'm leaning toward a tv because there's more range of sizes but I would need to know important things like input lag and response time.

    If I go into Harvey Norman or Noel Leeming they don't have a clue. Its all about resolution and picture quality. I've also contacted some of the big brands customer service but they say they don't know.

    Is there anywhere in NZ that sells tvs more geared toward gaming or that list those specs? My go to online store is Mightyape but surprisingly they don't really have any.

    I'd also really appreciate just any general advice.

    Many thanks.

  2. Post
    #2
    Get the 4k hdr tv in the size you want, and can afford, switch on game mode and call it a day?

  3. Post
    #3
    You couldn't expect Sales staff to know the those details. They only know the basics and can only find the specs that the manufacturer provides. TV makers often don't provide data like input lag, response time, uniformity, brightness, color accuracy, color saturation etc.

    To get this information you need to look at reviews, check out the following websites.

    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews
    https://displaylag.com/display-database/
    https://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.p...&id=1445596417


    They will have filters for some of the data which makes comparison very easy.

    For instance, want to see a list of TV's sorted by lowest latency at the top? Easy

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	latency.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	227611

  4. Post
    #4
    Hey Grim, those response times, I assume that's with Game Mode, or that TV's equivalent?

  5. Post
    #5
    That input latency measurement is definitely with game mode on.

    For pixel response time and actually for just about everything rtings has a super awesome comparison tool, have a play with it - press the Add Column button to add extra comparison fields.

    https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/table/12665

    I added the pixel response and input latency, sorted by response times such as below. You'll notice that while they have comparable input latency, OLED panels have 4 times or more faster pixel response times than LED panels - this is why they tend to top any "best gaming tv" lists - having a low pixel response time is good for fast moving content like a first person shooter.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	response.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	227612
    Last edited by SirGrim; 1st November 2019 at 8:45 am.

  6. Post
    #6
    Haisley wrote:
    Get the 4k hdr tv in the size you want, and can afford, switch on game mode and call it a day?
    If only my ocd would let me.

    - - - Updated - - -

    SirGrim wrote:
    You couldn't expect Sales staff to know the those details. They only know the basics and can only find the specs that the manufacturer provides. TV makers often don't provide data like input lag, response time, uniformity, brightness, color accuracy, color saturation etc.

    To get this information you need to look at reviews, check out the following websites.

    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews
    https://displaylag.com/display-database/
    https://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.p...&id=1445596417


    They will have filters for some of the data which makes comparison very easy.

    For instance, want to see a list of TV's sorted by lowest latency at the top? Easy

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	latency.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	227611
    Thanks for that, that's a great help.

  7. Post
    #7
    @SirGrim. I really wanted to thank you again for those links, they've really helped. I've been toing and froing about what to get for literally weeks and my anxiety and OCD have been making it a nightmare. But looking through those sites has really helped especially that one tool on Rtings where you just tell it what is important to you and it pops out a recommendation. Its taken the guesswork out of it for me or just walking into JB Hi Fi and picking something at random and hoping for the best.

  8. Post
    #8
    Choosing a TV was the most stressful experience in my life before I found RTINGS.

  9. Post
    #9
    Rii wrote:
    Choosing a TV was the most stressful experience in my life before I found RTINGS.
    They've certainly been helping me.

  10. Post
    #10
    Can anyone recommend a online webstore that has a good range of tvs? I have a short list I've compiled from Rtings but I can't find any of them on the main chain stores sites.

    What's your go to webstore for stuff like that?

  11. Post
    #11
    Are you looking for NZ market TV's or TV models from other markets?

  12. Post
    #12
    Phil5000 wrote:
    I have a short list I've compiled from Rtings but I can't find any of them on the main chain stores sites.
    Rtings model numbers are for the north american market. Most of the TV's are same but the model name/numbers change slightly between regions.

    If you can list the models you are interested in, I'll find the NZ version.

  13. Post
    #13
    SirGrim wrote:
    Rtings model numbers are for the north american market. Most of the TV's are same but the model name/numbers change slightly between regions.

    If you can list the models you are interested in, I'll find the NZ version.
    Thanks grim. I drop the prefix (the region code) when I do a search but still I can only find them on UBuy (which don't know about).

    I can find the Samsung 43RU7100 but its a bit pricey for me but my fist choice.
    Also TCL 43S525 and TCL 43S425

    Thanks for that.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Fragluton wrote:
    Are you looking for NZ market TV's or TV models from other markets?
    NZ.

  14. Post
    #14
    Rii wrote:
    Choosing a TV was the most stressful experience in my life before I found RTINGS.
    Do you mind if I ask you how you finally managed to actually plonk down the money after you'd made the decision on what to get, and were you happy?

  15. Post
    #15
    Phil5000 wrote:
    Do you mind if I ask you how you finally managed to actually plonk down the money after you'd made the decision on what to get, and were you happy?
    I went through 2 TVs before I settled on what I got. My issue was partly being too cheap and not sticking with what I know worked for me (Sony's, I wanted 4K, true 100hz and HDR). First set was incorrectly advertised, so boo them. 2nd set I changed it for started to show horrific colour reproduction once I got it home. Got my money back and sat on it for a while, then I found RTINGS where I looked at colour reproduction quality and image tracking. Using these two qualifiers I settled on a Sony X900E.

    Have had the set for coming up a year now and I don't regret upping the budget from 1500 to 2500 one little bit. Sony seem to be best in class (LED/LCD) for image tracking and the colour reproduction in them favours realistic colours instead of dialing up saturation to a million. It's also been receiving Android TV updates quite consistently.

    I'm a colour nerd so I tend to get hung up about displays to a fault.

  16. Post
    #16
    It's not a TV but at least you get 800+ brightness and great response times?

    https://www.rtings.com/monitor/revie...tum-436m6vbpab

    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MON...4K-HDR-Monitor

  17. Post
    #17
    Rii wrote:
    I went through 2 TVs before I settled on what I got. My issue was partly being too cheap and not sticking with what I know worked for me (Sony's, I wanted 4K, true 100hz and HDR). First set was incorrectly advertised, so boo them. 2nd set I changed it for started to show horrific colour reproduction once I got it home. Got my money back and sat on it for a while, then I found RTINGS where I looked at colour reproduction quality and image tracking. Using these two qualifiers I settled on a Sony X900E.

    Have had the set for coming up a year now and I don't regret upping the budget from 1500 to 2500 one little bit. Sony seem to be best in class (LED/LCD) for image tracking and the colour reproduction in them favours realistic colours instead of dialing up saturation to a million. It's also been receiving Android TV updates quite consistently.

    I'm a colour nerd so I tend to get hung up about displays to a fault.
    That's one of the things I'm worried about; it being this big ordeal. I've done my research, I know I want a VA panel, 40 - 43 inches and decent gaming performance with a good picture. I looked through all the articles and revies Rtings had and came to the Samsung 43RU7100 as the best one I could afford but when it came to it I couldn't bring myself to spend the money. My problem is I already have something I'm almost happy with. I just want something a bit bigger and a bit better contrast for playing in the dark. If it blew up tomorror I'd buy the Samsung without a second thought but I can't bring myself to do it and getting something cheap doesn't seem sensible so I'll end up not buying anything.

    Sometimes I hate being me.