1. Post

Trouble with new 1080 ti

So ive got a second hand EVGA 1080 ti SC Black and I seem to have an issue, every game ive tried that stresses the GPU seems to eventually crash the game (either full freeze, artifact and freeze or Unreal Engine "loss of display device" error). Gmaes like Rocket League I dont seem to have an isue but I only hit 56 degrees or so and it doesnt stress it. I am trying to decide if it is the GPU or maybe my PSU thats causing the crash (or drivers?). Attached is temp monitoring, and here is my 3D mark Firestrike (did have gsync on) https://www.3dmark.com/fs/20856973.Name:  crash.PNG
Views: 412
Size:  166.7 KB

Edit:
    Booted into safe mode, DDU'd the drivers, rolled back to the last "good" ones 436.48 aaannnddd I get a driver installer failed error.

Edit2: driver installed after second round of DDU, still crashes, attempting adjustment of fan curve (it is particularly hot her in Dunedin last few days) though it seems to crash around 80 degrees which is not.hot.enough surely.
    Last edited by Ballistica; 4th November 2019 at 6:17 pm.

2. Post
    What PSU?

I would have thought 80 would be up there temp wise, but potentially not unheard of. I'd check thermal paste potentially? Might need redoing perhaps. It's power usage seems right.

3. Post
    It's probably the card, I've got an old EVGA 1080 ti SC Black ex mining card myself and its performance isn't as good as it should be.
    80C is getting pretty warm for gpu's (85C is max recommended). Try setting the fans to 90% and seeing what happens, start dropping the power limit after that if still not stable. For what's it worth I run my card at 50% power limit and still get 75% performance.

4. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    What PSU?

I would have thought 80 would be up there temp wise, but potentially not unheard of. I'd check thermal paste potentially? Might need redoing perhaps. It's power usage seems right.
    Corsair RM650, when I bought it, it was in the second to top tier (gold I believe) on that community PSU ranking system. I've adjusted the fan curves and left it for an hour and it doesn't crash but I get this artefacting (pic to be uploaded, but checker box artifacts). GPU sits at 80 degrees with 80 percent fan speed running.

5. Post
    I'm thinking psu if it's not happening in rocket league which is not at all demanding.

6. Post
    Check the thermal pads and reapply paste to the GPU, see if that helps.

7. Post
    That's a good start. Artefacts are memory errors and given temperature is helping, your problem could be the thermal pads like suggested.

8. Post
    MrCake wrote:
    That's a good start. Artefacts are memory errors and given temperature is helping, your problem could be the thermal pads like suggested.
    It's supposed to be a ICX card but I only have the one thermo reading, I should have a memory reading somewhere. I'm also worried about voiding the warrant I do have on it.

9. Post
    If its under warranty then go down that route.

10. Post
    Konev wrote:
    If its under warranty then go down that route.
    The question is, go to PBtech or straight to EVGA.

11. Post
    Ballistica wrote:
    The question is, go to PBtech or straight to EVGA.
    Get the invoice from the original owner and go to PB. They don't check (and maybe care) if you're the actual person or not.

12. Post
    How's the airflow in your case? 80 degrees is pretty hot with the fan at 80%

13. Post
    scholar wrote:
    How's the airflow in your case? 80 degrees is pretty hot with the fan at 80%
    Not the greatest as it's a small case, but it's the best I can go, got 120/140mm fans going full on the front and 2x120mm exhaust running at 7v
    Last edited by Ballistica; 7th November 2019 at 12:08 am.

14. Post
    Ok so I've done tonnes of testing, I cannot make it do it using MSI Kombuster (is the stress tests supposed to be static? The benchmark hair moves?) But it definitely crashes in games. With the side panel off it's crashing at 72 degrees, but I can instantly induce the exact crash by cranking the power limit up. Also noticed that the gpu backplate gets immensely hot to touch, that seems unusual and may be why my NVMe near it gets to 60 degrees.

15. Post
    Ballistica wrote:
    Ok so I've done tonnes of testing, I cannot make it do it using MSI Kombuster (is the stress tests supposed to be static? The benchmark hair moves?) But it definitely crashes in games. With the side panel off it's crashing at 72 degrees, but I can instantly induce the exact crash by cranking the power limit up. Also noticed that the gpu backplate gets immensely hot to touch, that seems unusual and may be why my NVMe near it gets to 60 degrees.
    Backplate likely hotter than core temp, i just measured mine at 39 core at 31. I almost should take it off haha it's heating the gpu up! . Kombuster is just a power virus from memory so very little vram hit. Try declocking the memory and leaving power limit at 100. Looking at my card you can only drop it 500mhz though, might not be enough.

16. Post
    So.

Card was returned from RMA. Really interesting behavior, this new card, while still being the same model, runs cooler, quieter and clocks higher than my previous one and also doesn't crash (so far). When I asked the customer rep, he said that the previous one had a failed transistor/s. Perhaps when the board heated it it came loose or something similar? I'm much happier now.

17. Post
    did you go to PB tech for RMA?

18. Post
    Ballistica wrote:
    So.

Card was returned from RMA. Really interesting behavior, this new card, while still being the same model, runs cooler, quieter and clocks higher than my previous one and also doesn't crash (so far). When I asked the customer rep, he said that the previous one had a failed transistor/s. Perhaps when the board heated it it came loose or something similar? I'm much happier now.
    Either the new thermal paste or just a better silicon lottery card, gratz either way

19. Post
    Kog wrote:
    did you go to PB tech for RMA?
    Nah went straight to EVGA, the whole process took a week there and back.

Siris Le Osiris wrote:
    Either the new thermal paste or just a better silicon lottery card, gratz either way
    I suspect that, as the thermal pads are defintely different than the ones on my old ones, grey rather than dull yellow, I suspect the grey ones are better.

Im pretty happy with the whole process, aside from spending $60 to send it to Taiwan.