Fireworks

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    Yeah, I mean we did have actual rockets back in the day. Was always real fun finding them the next day but there was also the chance that your family home would burn down and you'd wake up in a motel so
    We use to have to clean the roof of the house the next day haha.

2. Post
    brand wrote:
    I don't care about people buying fireworks I just wish there were rules about when they were allowed to set them off. There is someone around here who sets some off once or twice a week through the entire year...
    I thought that already existed and more of a case of zero f's given.

3. Post
    Nah that's meth dealers shooting people.

4. Post
    Gesellschaft wrote:
    Are firework sales really big enough to pressure the government? It's probably got more to do with the "nanny state" backlash it'll open up.
    Why do you think a sugar tax has never been approved? Coke, Pepsi,McDonalds,KFC etc. Would never approve of it. They'd sooner pull their business out of NZ than deal with that. And that would be too much a loss for the government.

5. Post
    swazi wrote:
    I thought that already existed and more of a case of zero f's given.
    I thought so too but looked it up and there are only rules about when fireworks can be sold nothing about when they can be set off...

6. Post
    brand wrote:
    I thought so too but looked it up and there are only rules about when fireworks can be sold nothing about when they can be set off...
    I get the feeling that there used to be a rule, but that just might be an urban myth. I too had to look it up as we have people down the road who let them off all through the year. I’m a fan of backyard fireworks, but only for one night/year.

7. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    I’m a fan of backyard fireworks, but only for one night/year.
    I have no problem with guy fawkes, however there is no way to police it so they are only used then, and as said, there are far to many pricks who think it is okay to let them off whenever and wherever they please.

8. Post
    Or the people who let them off during the daytime. What is the point?

9. Post
    Just to be annoying is my guess. Heard them going off at like 5pm on Saturday.

10. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    I was into them as a kid too. Until my folks said "From here, if you want fireworks, use your pocket money and buy your own", to which I thought "Wait, $2 for 8 seconds of sparks? Stuff that!". And never got into them again.

I don't want to be the fun police, and I'd have no problem if it was actually just one night. But I have 4 dogs; 3 are fine, one is absolutely petrified. For weeks. That's my selfish reason for agreeing with a public ban.

My unselfish reasons are numerous; the strain on emergency services. The ACC claim costs for all the accidents. The animal cruelty that always happens. The animals that are so scared they get injured or even die. The dickheads using fireworks to ignite petrol that they've poured all over the road. The other dickheads trying to shoot me with Roman candles the other night while I was walking a couple of dogs. The dickhead neighbour letting them off at 2am the other morning. All the litter of spent fireworks everywhere.

Nowadays I just find myself thinking "What are you, 12? Grow up!".

So yeah, +1 for a ban on the public sale of fireworks. Have organised displays, just stop selling them to any munter with the cash.
    That's hamilton for you though.

11. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    Why do you think a sugar tax has never been approved? Coke, Pepsi,McDonalds,KFC etc. Would never approve of it. They'd sooner pull their business out of NZ than deal with that. And that would be too much a loss for the government.
    r u shitposting or just a dumb ass lol

12. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    it's been approved over here I hate to tell you. Loss for the government? Tax is literally only a gain for the government. Go back to posting about the next X-man film

13. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    it's been approved over here I hate to tell you. Loss for the government? Tax is literally only a gain for the government. Go back to posting about the next X-man film
    it's ratshit, if I want to rot my teeth out on fanta I should be allowed to do it full steam ahead

14. Post
    Fireworks okay if let off on guyfawks not for a ****ing week, let alone for a month. I'm just quoting my human-oid parents.

Fireworks are boring

15. Post
    One night only for using them, and move fireworks night to Matariki.

It's a wetter time of year, better for the fire service.

It gets dark earlier meaning it's better for kids enjoying them before bedtime.

Also guy Fawkes is a retardedly irrelevant celebration for NZ.

16. Post
    Matariki is retardedly irrelevant celebration for the vast majority of NZ population. And absolutely zero to do with fireworks

17. Post
    Wtf is Matariki

18. Post
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    One night only for using them, and move fireworks night to Matariki.

It's a wetter time of year, better for the fire service.

It gets dark earlier meaning it's better for kids enjoying them before bedtime.

Also guy Fawkes is a retardedly irrelevant celebration for NZ.
    That's actually a compromise I'd be happy with. Good idea to move it too a wetter month like June (is it June?)

19. Post
    swazi wrote:
    Matariki is retardedly irrelevant celebration for the vast majority of NZ population. And absolutely zero to do with fireworks
    More relevant than Chinese new year.

20. Post
    Had what seemed like different people letting a heap of them off for about half an hour at 1:30am today a few streets away from me. Glad it is pissing down right now.

21. Post
    MXRecord wrote:
    More relevant than Chinese new year.
    Throw in Diwali while you're at it.

22. Post
    Where do all you bumpkins live? Invercargill? Jfc

23. Post
    Wouldn't be an issue if people weren't dickheads with them. There's always that one cretin on the street that lets them off at midnight on random occasions for months after November 5th.

Just do what I do and put passive aggressive notes in their mailbox smeared in your own shit and semen.

24. Post
    Mmm, smores.

25. Post
    Harden up and have some bloody Roman candle battles, hours of fun.

Duck tape to hockey stick was my favourite, felt like i was firing a musket or something. yarrrgh i be a pirate.