Fireworks

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Fireworks

As a young man, I loved them, now I'm older with two young kids, fireworks are awful and I wouldn't care if private sales were banned.

Discuss.

2. Post
    MXRecord should be banned.

Discuss.

3. Post
    I was just in the Warehouse for non-fireworks reasons, all the vultures just hanging around the fireworks waiting for an even bigger discount as the clock drew closer to closing time was hilarious.

4. Post
    MXRecord wrote:
    As a young man, I loved them, now I'm older with two young kids, fireworks are awful and I wouldn't care if private sales were banned.

Discuss.
    As a young man, I loved them, now I'm older with two kids, fireworks are still awesome.

5. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    As a young man, I loved them, now I'm older with two kids, fireworks are still awesome.
    My thought will probably change back when my youngest is older.

6. Post
    I concur. Ban them. I want quiet sleepy time.

7. Post
    MXRecord wrote:
    My thought will probably change back when my youngest is older.
    Mate, when ours were babies, we put them to bed, then did fireworks by ourselves later on.

8. Post
    MXRecord wrote:

Discuss.
    I was into them as a kid too. Until my folks said "From here, if you want fireworks, use your pocket money and buy your own", to which I thought "Wait, $2 for 8 seconds of sparks? Stuff that!". And never got into them again.

I don't want to be the fun police, and I'd have no problem if it was actually just one night. But I have 4 dogs; 3 are fine, one is absolutely petrified. For weeks. That's my selfish reason for agreeing with a public ban.

My unselfish reasons are numerous; the strain on emergency services. The ACC claim costs for all the accidents. The animal cruelty that always happens. The animals that are so scared they get injured or even die. The dickheads using fireworks to ignite petrol that they've poured all over the road. The other dickheads trying to shoot me with Roman candles the other night while I was walking a couple of dogs. The dickhead neighbour letting them off at 2am the other morning. All the litter of spent fireworks everywhere.

Nowadays I just find myself thinking "What are you, 12? Grow up!".

So yeah, +1 for a ban on the public sale of fireworks. Have organised displays, just stop selling them to any munter with the cash.

9. Post
    They're shithouse now anyways. Either that or they just looked bigger and cooler when I was a kid.

I was working at the mental health part of a hospital today and some twats nearby let off some fireworks in the middle of the day. One of the ladies working inside came out in a panic asking if we were using a nail gun and we told her it was fireworks. I have a feeling she was thinking it was gunshots and started freaking out. It kinda sounded like that to be fair.

10. Post
    Fireworks dont bother me too much. Better than hearing a circling helicopter, or the neighbours dog the howls for its owner all day every day.

11. Post
    I liked the way it used to be. You could use them on one night only. These days it's not fireworks night, it's bloody fireworks month.
    Keep it to one night, ban them on any other night. That one night would be far more entertaining.

12. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    They're shithouse now anyways. Either that or they just looked bigger and cooler when I was a kid.
    Yeah, I mean we did have actual rockets back in the day. Was always real fun finding them the next day but there was also the chance that your family home would burn down and you'd wake up in a motel so

13. Post
    I remember having wars as a kid chucking double happy's and shooting those mini sky rockets at each other. How none of us lost an eye or got seriously hurt I'll never know lol

14. Post
    we got drunk and shot each other with them in the north head tunnels after i found the stash my late father was hoarding before the ban --and hiding from my mom-- a good fourteen years after he died

smh

15. Post
    When I was a kid they were decent and powerful, now all the good ones have been banned and ****s just let the noisy things off for months on end in the middle of the night, upsetting people and pets (and year round on birthdays etc).

I'd be happy if they just hurried up and finished the job by banning private sale ones completely and restricted them to professional displays.

16. Post
    NZ is too primitive to make such decisions as banning them

17. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    NZ is too primitive to make such decisions as banning them
    Inclined to agree. Same with legalising/de-criminalising weed. Just too pussy (except for knee-jerk gun legislation of course).

Calls every year from emergency services and many members of the public to ban the public sale of fireworks fall on deaf ears.

This is why we can't have nice thi.... err sorry i mean explosives;
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/117...-and-northland
    Last edited by Frederick James; 6th November 2019 at 7:30 am.

18. Post
    Not very scientific, but the poll result on that article (which obviously makes it even less credible), is pretty against them.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 247
Size:  176.4 KB

19. Post
    While my interested in fireworks has waned, I really don't want the nanny state banning more stuff, I'd rather deal with what others do then deny them and myself the option.

20. Post
    Monolith wrote:
    While my interested in fireworks has waned, I really don't want the nanny state banning more stuff, I'd rather deal with what others do then deny them and myself the option.
    This is how I feel also

21. Post
    The argument to ban Fireworks comes around every year but nothing ever happens. The corporations make too much money off the sales. It will never go through. Most that will happen is maybe they'll have more restrictions on where and when you can let them off.

22. Post
    Just because you don't want to let off your own fireworks doesn't necessarily mean you want them banned. Stuff lol poll

23. Post
    Now my kid isn't a noob we love fireworks again.

24. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    The argument to ban Fireworks comes around every year but nothing ever happens. The corporations make too much money off the sales. It will never go through. Most that will happen is maybe they'll have more restrictions on where and when you can let them off.
    Are firework sales really big enough to pressure the government? It's probably got more to do with the "nanny state" backlash it'll open up.

25. Post
    I don't care about people buying fireworks I just wish there were rules about when they were allowed to set them off. There is someone around here who sets some off once or twice a week through the entire year...