1. Post

Yet another need new gaming rig advice thread

So its time for my yearly "need new gaming rig advice" thread as I've made the same thread at least once a year for the last 3 or 4 years lol.

Anyways this time I'm serious about getting a new rig. My prehistoric rig consisting of an i5 750 and hd 7950 is on it way out. The fans on the GPU are very noisy now and they also keep stopping and starting at random intervals. Also getting the odd BSOD when switching the display from my monitor to TV.

Anyways my budget is $3k max but obviously the lower the better. I've traditionally gone with AMD since they've always hand more bang for buck but thinking a might switch to the green team now. Would be good to have at least a 2080 for the GPU. I doubt I could afford a 2080Ti on that budget. CPU wise I'm thinking Ryzen would be good value and do a good job.

Anyways what do you guys think?

cheers

2. Post
    What monitor/s are you using?

3. Post
    MrCake wrote:
    What monitor/s are you using?
    Its currently just hooked up to a Dell U2412M and 4k tv. I dont plan on getting a new monitor anytime soon as I do most of gaming on my TV.

4. Post
    On that budget I'd get a 5700xt. They're only slightly slower than 2080 super and even beat them in some titles. They're also a few hundy cheaper and will most likely have better longevity if history is any indicator. With a Ryzen 3700 and 5700xt you'd still have a good little pot of money to play with for the other components.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

5. Post
    dr.m0x wrote:
    On that budget I'd get a 5700xt. They're only slightly slower than 2080 super and even beat them in some titles. They're also a few hundy cheaper and will most likely have better longevity if history is any indicator. With a Ryzen 3700 and 5700xt you'd still have a good little pot of money to play with for the other components.

oh ok never even heard of the 5700xt lol. All I ever hear about these days are Nvidia GPU's and 2080 this and 2080 that. Shows how long I've been out of the game lol. Will def consider that. Does it have RTX or is that just exclusive to Nvidia GPU's?

6. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    oh ok never even heard of the 5700xt lol. All I ever hear about these days are Nvidia GPU's and 2080 this and 2080 that. Shows how long I've been out of the game lol. Will def consider that. Does it have RTX or is that just exclusive to Nvidia GPU's?
    Rtx is nvidia only but it's really just a gimmick at this stage. The performance loss from enabling it is ridiculous. Will be a couple more generations until it's actually decent and AMD do have raytracing in the pipeline, which the next gen consoles may support, so rtx might die off anyway. At any rate I don't think it's worth factoring into the purchase decision at this time.

7. Post
    If I was to get a 2080Ti the whole rig would probably end up costing around 4k all up right?

8. Post
    Probably, add it up and see lol.

I'd be looking at the 5700XT too, you could probably sell it next year when next gen Nvidia / AMD releases and end up better off overall. If you found it wasn't up to the task anyway. Which @ 4k it's going to handle most games above the 60 frames mark, especially if you drop a few settings down. I just get the feeling a 2080Ti would be a be wasted (ignoring the silly pricing) on a 60hz TV. If you want to spend the $4k on a PC go nuts, otherwise check the reviews for the 5700XT in the games you play and go from there.

9. Post
    Agreed. 2080ti is overpriced and probably overkill. It's also slated for replacement early next year, if the rumours are correct, with something faster and cheaper. Probably a bit late to jump on that bandwagon at this point unless you like wasting money and just want bragging rights for the next six months or so.

10. Post
    dr.m0x wrote:
    Agreed. 2080ti is overpriced and probably overkill. It's also slated for replacement early next year, if the rumours are correct, with something faster and cheaper. Probably a bit late to jump on that bandwagon at this point unless you like wasting money and just want bragging rights for the next six months or so.

that is good to hear since I put my build off til after Summer

11. Post
    Kog wrote:
    that is good to hear since I put my build off til after Summer
    RTX3000 cards should be out around May/June if you want to wait. Not saying you should wait, just that the next gen is around the corner.

12. Post
    3.15K. You could re-use HDD's to save money.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  121.2 KB

13. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    RTX3000 cards should be out around May/June if you want to wait. Not saying you should wait, just that the next gen is around the corner.
    Im planning for then, since thats when the good weather ends

14. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    3.15K. You could re-use HDD's to save money.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  121.2 KB
    That looks pretty sweet for the price I'm thinking now that the 2080ti might be overkill since I'll still be playing mainly on console and Cyberpunk is the only big game I'm planning on playing on PC (also want to play Outer Worlds and Subnautica: BZ on PC as well).

If I went with a 5700XT like others have suggested that would save me $1000 so that might be the wisest decision although getting a 2080ti means the PC will be pretty future proofed for quite a few years.

15. Post
    It really does not mean you're future proof. Once nvidia die shrink it's gonna age fast.

Doesn't really make any sense financially. You could buy an $800 card now, and in 2-3 years buy a new $800 card that would likely be faster than the 2080ti by then, and you'd still have money in hand vs buying the 2080ti.

Don't get me wrong if you want to spend the cash and get the best card on the market right now, go ahead. Just don't be fooled into thinking it's going to be a good investment for long term use.

16. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:

If I went with a 5700XT like others have suggested that would save me $1000 so that might be the wisest decision although getting a 2080ti means the PC will be pretty future proofed for quite a few years.
    You'd get better future proofing if you bought a $1000 card today, then bought another $1000 card 12 to 24 months later, instead of buying a $2000 card today.

Future proofing makes more sense for CPU's where change is slower. But with graphics cards the market moves around too fast to future proof. Which is why you should buy the graphics card that you need today, today. And buy the graphics card that you need tomorrow, tomorrow.
    Last edited by SirGrim; 13th November 2019 at 3:22 pm.

17. Post

18. Post
    Don't cheap out on the motherboard, get one with decent parts as you may find you want to throw a 8/12 core part in, in a few years. Cheap boards won't handle that upgrade. When I say that i'm talking about the power stage on the boards. Cheap ones won't supply the juice. That one in the image isn't toooo bad, but motherboard is a key part of the puzzle, get one that is overbuilt on the VRM's while still good value. Having a 6 core chip means upgrading CPU and keeping motherboard is a legit upgrade path, so worth getting something decent. Unless in the past where it didn't matter as to get a new CPU you'd need a new motherboard too.

Motherboard list and suitable chips from reddit: https://i.redd.it/o4cysof9q7x31.png

Also stay away from the ASUS "TUF" 5700XT, it's so poorly made it's a joke. To the point where i'd find it hard to buy ASUS anything again.

19. Post
    Think amd said they'd support am4 until 2021 at least so that's good advice for sure. Can drop in a new cpu circa 2021/2022 and be good to go for another few years. That's actual realistic future proofing.

Perhaps save some money on the gpu and pony up for an x570 board? They have pcie 4.0 and it's going to be a while before you'd be able to saturate those.

20. Post
    Thx everyone for the good advice I'm just gonna get the 5700XT instead of a 2080ti. Its definitely good enough for my needs since I'll still be gaming mainly on my PS4 anyways. Plus I wont be getting a 144hz 4k monitor or whatever so would be a bit of a waste. For the rest of the components I'll probably just stick to what nzbleach suggested since I'm lazy and can't be assed researching other parts lol. Might try and hold off as long as possible though and wait for CL to have a good sale.

21. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Thx everyone for the good advice I'm just gonna get the 5700XT instead of a 2080ti. Its definitely good enough for my needs since I'll still be gaming mainly on my PS4 anyways. Plus I wont be getting a 144hz 4k monitor or whatever so would be a bit of a waste. For the rest of the components I'll probably just stick to what nzbleach suggested since I'm lazy and can't be assed researching other parts lol. Might try and hold off as long as possible though and wait for CL to have a good sale.
    Ypu are like 90% ps4 gaming yeah? Why not just wait till the ps5

22. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Ypu are like 90% ps4 gaming yeah? Why not just wait till the ps5
    Yeah bro but I want a good PC to play Cyberpunk. I have strong doubts it will run that well on current consoles especially considering how mediocre I heard Witcher 3 ran on console.

Also want to finally ditch Win 7 for Win 10 so I can jump aboard the gamepass train and get to play games like Outer Worlds etc for cheap

I'll still be getting a PS5 as well