1. Post

ELI5: new tax on low value imported goods

Just assume I'm an idiot. GO.

2. Post
    I dont think anyone needs to assume.

3. Post
    RIP Deep Fryer

4. Post
    Import tariff without saying the word Tariff.

15% on all imported goods, yay!

https://www.classic.ird.govt.nz/gst/...ing/gst-about/

What GST isn't charged on
    GST isn't charged on:

goods and services supplied by businesses that aren't GST registered

work for salary or wages
    hobbies or private recreational pursuits
    the occasional sale of domestic or private items
    GST-exempt supplies.
    Whoops.

5. Post
    that's partly what I'm confused by

Is this collected by the business youre buying from at the time of purchase (if they're registered)?
    What happens if the business isnt registered?
    is it collected when the item comes into the country by customs?

I mean sure the likes of amazon will register but what about my obscenely expensive boutique artisian japanese loose leaf green tea? Is that going to be 15% more exorbitantly priced now, or will they let it through as that business wont register?

A criteria for registration for businesses seems to be a $60k annual turnover in the country, but how the f do they know what their turnover is country by country?

Also **** the government for this, I dont import shit from overseas because its fun to **** around with intl postage I do it because it isnt ****ing available in NZ so **** your level playing field argument ****

6. Post
    In before "but it's not a tax"

7. Post
    swazi wrote:
    In before "but it's not a tax"
    idgi

Who and how could that ever be a thing?

8. Post
    Previously, this existed on purchases over $400.

Now, it exists on purchases over $60.

**** all else changes, except to make it more manageable, some businesses may register ahead of time and charge you the tax themselves. Others will just ship to NZ and leave it up to customs, where you may or may not get pinged.

9. Post
    I dont really have problem with paying 15% duty on things I buy. I think its fair to businesses in NZ who pay fair share of tax and wages in NZ while Amazon or Aliexpress pay jack all and hire zero staff. If businesses here start going down then we all be unemployed.

That being said, retailers in nz should not jack up prices because of this which I think they will slowly do.

10. Post
    harshsmith wrote:
    I dont really have problem with paying 15% duty on things I buy. I think its fair to businesses in NZ who pay fair share of tax and wages in NZ while Amazon or Aliexpress pay jack all and hire zero staff. If businesses here start going down then we all be unemployed.

That being said, retailers in nz should not jack up prices because of this which I think they will slowly do.
    Of course they will, but that 15% is the, "I'm gambling with consumer rights" discount.

I'm sure a retailer would drop their prices 15% if they could get consumers to waive all warranty and CGA rights in exchange.

It's not a direct comparison. That's why old people still go to brick and mortar stores whereas I buy my computers bits overseas because I'll crack out my reflow station if a capacitor blows.

I better get some top-notch ****ing service if I start buying stuff I'd usually fix myself locally.

11. Post
    So based on that table, anything under $1000 that previously had duty of 10% or more just became slightly cheaper to purchase from overseas?

For example, if I purchased more $250 of clothes from overseas a month ago I would have had to pay 15% GST, 10% duty and the import entry fee of approx $60. Now I only have to pay the 15% GST which should be charged by the supplier?

If the supplier is not GST registered do I still need to pay the GST?

12. Post
    labcat wrote:
    If the supplier is not GST registered do I still need to pay the GST?
    Nope and it won't be stopped at Customs unless the declared value is over $1000 nzd.

13. Post
    Dick is abundant and low value

14. Post
    seems like a win for consumers

15. Post
    harshsmith wrote:

Even with the 15% duty, things are still cheaper to ship from overseas.

16. Post
    Seems like it will be good for items over the (current) $400 threshold. That is the worst, having something come in at $401 based on Customs shit conversion rates and getting rammed up the ass with the import entry fee etc..

17. Post
    Need to order stuff from people willing to bullshit the price on the customs declaration I guess. Having to pay the NZ govt 15% of whatever number the shop wrote down as the price is pretty shit.

18. Post
    FiveOneFive wrote:
    Seems like it will be good for items over the (current) $400 threshold. That is the worst, having something come in at $401 based on Customs shit conversion rates and getting rammed up the ass with the import entry fee etc..
    You're a noob if you were cutting that close.

19. Post

Ha. Imagine being so butthurt over people not wanting to partake in shitty inflated "home grown business" prices (and the lack of product available domestically) that you actually require receipts.

Going to get someone in the US to value all my stuff at $20. Later.

20. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    Need to order stuff from people willing to bullshit the price on the customs declaration I guess. Having to pay the NZ govt 15% of whatever number the shop wrote down as the price is pretty shit.
    i have had $300 phones come in from China and the declaration it says it's a $40 charger. Chinese exporters know the NZ tax rules better than most Kiwi's.