1. Post

New Mass Effect Game Is Very Early in Development

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11...n-development?

Will they finally get it right this time?

A new Mass Effect game is reportedly in "very early development" at BioWare Edmonton.
    As reported by Kotaku, the project is being headed by longtime series producer Mike Gamble. There are no further details on the potential game at this time.

The series' latest entry, 2017's Mass Effect: Andromeda, is largely considered the weakest game in the twelve-year-old franchise. The unfavorable reception to Andromeda reportedly led EA to put the series on hold. However, earlier this year, BioWare said Mass Effect is "very much alive."

The news of an in-development Mass Effect came as a brief mention in a larger Kotaku report on Anthem. According to the outlet's sources, BioWare is overhauling the shared-world shooter, changing "most of" Anthem's core gameplay systems, including its loot and mission structure.

2. Post
    Not sure if excited or scared.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

3. Post
    I'm up for more Mass Effect. But then again, I'm one of the people who actually liked Andromeda.

4. Post
    Cool. I'm a huge Mass Effect fan and I bought Andromeda on launch day but gave up on it by the 3rd planet, I was disappointed in it like lots of other people were. Bought it again last year for $5 on sale and started from where I'd left off and really enjoyed it the 2nd time around, everything just clicked into place. I ended up hunting down every sidequest and really got into the main story, it's actually a pretty solid game. Those facial animations though......

5. Post
    Colinnola wrote:
    I'm up for more Mass Effect. But then again, I'm one of the people who actually liked Andromeda.
    I liked it too. Its a decent game, it's just not a great game. The need for a game to be exceptional for it to be considered good is one of the major annoyances I have with modern gaming, and gamers. People talk shit about MEA, and it's not shit. A 7/10 game (the open critic avg score) is not a bad game, it's a decent game.
    The biggest problem with MEA was the hype gamers promoted. The disappointment was created by their own excitement. If you're expecting brilliance and get OK, then you perceive the thing as bad. If expectations had been reasonable, I think the overall perception of the game would be better. It didn't fail, it only failed to meet insanely high expectations. Which imo were unreasonable considering it was a new team in a new studio creating it... and tbh ME3 was not great either.

Gamers like hyperbole. Sometimes a lot more than actual common sense, or reality.

6. Post
    Colinnola wrote:
    eww Andromeda was horrible

7. Post

8. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    eww Andromeda was horrible
    To each their own. I received it as a gift about a year after release, so I'm probably looking at it differently to people who paid full price at launch. It's not the greatest game of all time, certainly not as good as ME2, but worth the 60 hours I put into it.

9. Post
    Mike Gamble being announced as the lead is a tad odd to me, I would be putting Hudson front and centre for it to be considered the helm project it should be.

Totally re-doing Anthem too...if I were them I'd let that dog die and bring up a new puppy.

10. Post
    I wonder if with the new game they'll try and bring in some of the scrapped ideas from Andromeda? The original vision for that game was that we'd fly around in a spaceship visiting I don't know exactly how many but lots of procedurally generated worlds, they couldn't get it to work and 3 years into the 5 year development they scrapped the idea and had to start again pretty much from scratch. That was a big ask for a new studio to build a Mass Effect game in 2 years when Bioware kept stealing all their talent and resources to go and work on Anthem, it left them having to cut corners by automating and outsourcing a lot of the work. Plus they were stuck with having to use EA's Frostbite engine which from what I've read isn't the best engine for making 3rd person adventure games like Mass Effect, probably the reason why Respawn went with Unreal instead of Frostbite for Jedi Fallen Order.

Hopefully the team making the new Mass Effect get to choose what tools they want to use and are given the full resources and support they need to deliver a quality game. I wonder if they'd ever make Mass Effect 1st person like Outer Worlds? The thought of a procedurally generated galaxy like No Mans Sky but with better graphics and the tight storytelling, combat, quests and mission structures of a game like Mass Effect 2 makes me drool.

11. Post
    EA.

Hi, please don't force Frost bite on them again

Jordan

12. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    The biggest problem with MEA was the hype gamers promoted. The disappointment was created by their own excitement. If you're expecting brilliance and get OK, then you perceive the thing as bad. If expectations had been reasonable, I think the overall perception of the game would be better. It didn't fail, it only failed to meet insanely high expectations. Which imo were unreasonable considering it was a new team in a new studio creating it... and tbh ME3 was not great either.

Gamers like hyperbole. Sometimes a lot more than actual common sense, or reality.
    I was one of those people. I really enjoyed Andromeda but only after I accepted that it wasn't the greatest game of all time. Which I genuinely wanted/expected it to be.

Hopefully they take us back to Andromeda. So many unanswered questions.

13. Post
    Summary of them doing a new Mass Effect game:-

Bioware has been dead for years, almost everybody who made it what it was has left.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bioware gets closed by EA after Dragon Age 4 comes out, if ever does.

14. Post
    I hated Andromeda. Wasn't a 7/10 for me, that' for sure. Wouldn't even give it a 5.

15. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    I hated Andromeda. Wasn't a 7/10 for me, that' for sure. Wouldn't even give it a 5.
    I couldn't finish it, despite loving the previous 3 games and playing all of them twice.
    I also really enjoy open world games, like Assasins Creed Odyssey/Origins where I completed all the DLC and nearly all the side quests.

So Andromeda was two things I love in theory - A Mass Effect game and and Open World game with RPG mechanics. And Yet it was one of the most boring games I've ever played.

16. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    I didn't finish it, I instead kicked off another MET run to get my Vanguard on proper.

I did play a good chunk of the MP, was fun, but still doesnt (still has people playing too) hold a candle to ME3MP....that and TLoU Factions the true MVPs of last gen MP.