1. Post

Can a fan intake from the side?

So ive got a plan to increase my airflow under my GPU in my case. Currently my GPU sides two expansion slots above the PSU. I want to put my 120mm fan flat ontop of the PSU, with the airflow pointing up, and cut a hole off the side of the fan so that it maybe draws air from its side through the spare expansion slots? Would it work? (Its a good fan so I dont want to cut just to test lol).

2. Post
    I dont imagine itd work very well. What case are you using?

3. Post
    It will do little to nothing for air flow. All fan blades are designed to move the air into a certain shape and direction, in the case of an axial fan it's a simple suck/blow proposition so no it won't suck air from the side because it's designed to suck air from the back of the blade to the front.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

4. Post
    mofozilla wrote:
    I dont imagine itd work very well. What case are you using?
    Silverstone PS15, the front half has really good intake, like I cna feel how cold the air is hitting the first GPU fan with my hand, the back half above the PSU however has veyr little air movement and I can feel this, I want to change this.

dr.m0x wrote:
    It will do little to nothing for air flow. All fan blades are designed to move the air into a certain shape and direction, in the case of an axial fan it's a simple suck/blow proposition so no it won't suck air from the side because it's designed to suck air from the back of the blade to the front.

Ok thanks, I might then put it on an angle so I can suck from the expansion slot across the psu.

5. Post
    Pics of setup could help give more ideas

6. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Pics of setup could help give more ideas
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VMcGppbGNubjR3

Im actually really happy with the overall case and setup, the only thig that seperates it from any other case is the lack of volume.

7. Post
    Front intakes, top and rear exhausts? Is there room on the side panel to add an intake?

You could try this sort of thing, but they tend to be exhausts rather than intakes: https://nerdtechy.com/best-pci-expan...t-cooling-fans

8. Post
    I'm not even sure that top fan would be doing much considering the cpu tower is right under it. Maybe interfering with the cross flow through the tower itself? Idk what else it would achieve.

9. Post
    I'd be tempted to not have the top one, in order to create positive pressure in the case. That way the only intake is via the front fans, which I assume have a filter? Basically how I have my case setup, albeit with a tad more space. Three intake fans in front via the dust filter, one exhaust behind the CPU cooler. Case remains dust free and temps are fine. I do have a blower GPU, but even if I didn't I think case temps would be fine.

Does that harddrive cage need to be there? Could drop the bottom fan down a bit so more of it's flow is straight on to the GPU fans.

10. Post
    Was the RMA a no go? Try single front intake, flip the psu so its also pulling air towards gpu, cardboard or similar to force the air down to it also. Close off the top of case to create more of a tunnel. None of which will work because @ 72C it was crashing, should be perfectly fine up to 85C.

11. Post
    I assume the gpu has a slot exhaust fan?

I think your current setup is optimal assuming it's a slot exhaust fan, ie: Both front fans as intake fans and rear top fan as exhuast fan. The PSU can have intake from bottom of case and exhaust through the rear of the case, so as not to heat the case.

You can tidy up the cables next to the bottom front intake fan, they are impending some of the cool airflow from the front intake fan to the gpu.

Additionally if that is still not enough and the gpu is still hot then you could add a shroud to deflect the fresh air downards from the top third of the bottom front fan.

With regards to a PCI slot intake fan. Generally speaking you don't want to suck air inside the case from the rear of the case, because usually the rear of the case has hot air circulating outside it. I guess that's why they don't make PCI slot intake fans.
    Last edited by kiwijunglist; 18th November 2019 at 8:19 pm.

12. Post
    kiwijunglist wrote:
    The PSU can have intake from bottom of case and exhaust through the rear of the case, so as not to heat the case.
    I thought the idea of bottom PSU intake was so it can breathe fresh air, not warm case air.
    Was also going to suggest flipping the PSU but thought it would just rob the GPU of air instead.

13. Post
    Hi when I say intake from bottom I mean underneath, the way you have it.

14. Post
    I think you would be much better off cutting a hole in the case side panel and mounting a fan there.

15. Post
    Ok thanks everyone, some good food for thought, I'll try address everyones advice:
    - It's two in (140/120 at ~9v) and two exhaust (both 120 at 7v). Positive pressure is achieved by having the front draw in more air than is exhausted.
    - Agreed, top exhaust is probably not doing anything and at worst harmer CPU cooler airflow. Will try address that.
    - I have RMd the card, but in case they send back one that also runs quite hot, I want to maximize the airflow in the case. It was when I was taking it out to send it away did I notice the front half was decently cold but the rear end of the GPU ws noticeably warmer (inside the case I mean, not the GPU itself, although that is where the core is so I'd expect it to be warmer, I'm just not sure it's getting air flow)
    - HDD cage, def thought about removing it (it's riveted on) but it's currently hiding all the cable management, which I have nowhere else to place.
    - Tidy up cables in front of bottom intake, I've tried, the only major cable interfering is the front USB3 and it's cables are so rigid I can't bend them further.
    - Cutting hole in side panel, it's tempered glass so that won't work
    - PSU intake, I think it's better drawing in fresh air in its own but maybe he'll being the other way.
    - One thing I could try is using some standoffs to rise the side panel off , not enough to notice but enough to let some air escape, but I'm not sure if that would make it better or worse.

16. Post
    You could get some higher CFM fans?

What are the fans you're using at the moment?

17. Post
    kiwijunglist wrote:
    Hi when I say intake from bottom I mean underneath, the way you have it.
    You missed my point.
    I'll be clearer: how does a PSU increase case temp when it exhausts outside no matter where it it pulls air from?

18. Post
    mofozilla wrote:
    You could get some higher CFM fans?

What are the fans you're using at the moment?
    Artic F12's and Fractal Design 140mm in front of GPU, this potentially may be an area I could improve, good idea.

19. Post
    I think if none of the solutions really work for you then you need to think about getting a larger/better airflow case.

20. Post
    I'd suggest something like this