1. Post

5ms response time but still blurry?

Hi everyone.

I was hoping you might be able to help me with something I'm a bit confused about. I'm planning to get a monitor for gaming on my PS4. I thought something with a faster response would be better so I'm looking at monitors instead of tvs. I'm currently playing on an old Sony Bravia tv and there is obviously noticeable motion blur. But when I hooked up an old monitor I have I was surprised to see there motion blur is just as bad.

According to the specs (assuming they're accurate) its response time is 5ms, Can anyone explain why this is?

It is a very old monitor, but should that matter? Would a newer monitor be better? Are my expectations unrealistic?

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.

2. Post
    Some PS4 games are 30p. Could it be the PS4?

3. Post
    Can you link the monitor you're using? I want to double check the 5ms number is actually for pixel response and not for input latency.

5ms pixel response would be pretty good for a LCD/LED screen. If you are still experience an amount of blur that you are sensitive to, you may wish to increase your refresh rate as this will also reduce the amount of motion blur - e.g playing games from a PC at 120hz instead of 30fps from a ps4. Many games on the ps4 also have purposefully built in additional motion blur that applies to background objects and objects out of focus, most times on consoles these graphics options can not be changed - but they can on PC.

To get an extremely smooth clean image with the least amount of motion blur requires sub 2ms pixel response times and 120hz+ refresh rates at the same time. The only way to achieve this is with a PC hooked up to something like an OLED TV or one of the best desktop gaming LCD/LED screens.

4. Post
    Here is a quick comparison.

This is a 2019 Sony OLED vs the new TCL Mini-LED which has 1000 dimming zones. Both panels are in game mode. The LCD/LED is at the bottom, the OLED at the top.

Both machines have a console connected playing God of War at 30fps. And this is not ideal, as I mentioned the best would be 120hz PC gaming and turning off motion blur in the game's settings.

And even with this, you can see that generally speaking LED/LCD panels have bad motion blur due to their relatively high pixel response time.

So I'm not sure if this is the type of motion blur you are sensitive to? It's hard to get rid of motion blur completely with a LCD/LED panel but you can reduce it as much as possible by switching to PC gaming.

5. Post
    Thanks very much guyys. That's really helpful SirGrim. It looks like I'll just have to put up with it. Now I know there's nothing I can realistically do I'll be able to tolerate it more. I think I'll still get a new screen as I'm sure I'll get a better picture overall, although this puts me back into the monitor or tv debate.

This is the old monitor I experimented with. LG W2261V-PF

Thanks again fellas.