1. Post

Can you easily import firearms into NZ?

I'm thinking about importing a pistol into NZ, but is this possible? I'm still a while off purchasing, but I'm leaning towards a Sig Sauer P320 and there doesn't seem to be many options in Auckland.

The importing part seems reasonably straightforward with a permit to import from NZ Police.

US export fees make it expensive unless it's a large order.

Are there any other countries/websites where it makes financial sense to import your own firearms (and parts)?

2. Post
    The usa export will be the issue for you. Might be worth going through a dealer. Tactical imports or whatever hus name us might be able to sort things.

3. Post
    As Konev said, your biggest issue will be dealing with the US State Dept for an export permit. These cost a flat fee of $200 USD (last time I checked) and can have as many items on them as you like, this is why importers will wait til they have a few hundred items to bring in. You will also need to find an FFL stateside willing/licenced to export and the whole process can take up to 6 months.

4. Post
    The U.S. export fee is $250US.
    DoS are generally quickish. Though be careful on filling in document about a decade ago I got told to resubmit after I got the date format around the wrong way.
    I almost always import now rather than rely on a dealer as it is quicker and cheaper.
    Brownells carries Sig 320's and if the don't have the model you are after they can do a special order. The lady at international orders Sandie<sp.?> is good ...the lady in special orders is... well special. If the offer a DSV as the shipping agent ask for another option.
    If you have the correct paper work it is pretty straight forward...be aware NZ Post and various couriers are refusing to transport firearms directly to private houses...some aren't even allowing pickups at hubs. If they refuse contact 3rd party freight forwarder and tell them their agents aren't fulfilling their responsibilities.
    Probably more but I'm tired, just back from the Philippines.

5. Post
    Mufasanz wrote:
    The U.S. export fee is $250US.
    DoS are generally quickish. Though be careful on filling in document about a decade ago I got told to resubmit after I got the date format around the wrong way.
    I almost always import now rather than rely on a dealer as it is quicker and cheaper.
    Brownells carries Sig 320's and if the don't have the model you are after they can do a special order. The lady at international orders Sandie<sp.?> is good ...the lady in special orders is... well special. If the offer a DSV as the shipping agent ask for another option.
    If you have the correct paper work it is pretty straight forward...be aware NZ Post and various couriers are refusing to transport firearms directly to private houses...some aren't even allowing pickups at hubs. If they refuse contact 3rd party freight forwarder and tell them their agents aren't fulfilling their responsibilities.
    Probably more but I'm tired, just back from the Philippines.
    The only time it has been quick for me was when I was dealing with the Dept of Commerce bringing in Saiga 12 drum mags, 2 weeks from ordering/paperwork to arrival. $120nz landed was a whole lot better than $999 at GC lol.

6. Post
    Thanks for the info. Just for fun I did some calculations based on what's available at Gun City - the P320 X-series.

NZD2,199 from Gun City (https://www.guncity.com/9mm-sig-320-...-barrel-349974)

USD916.99 from Brownells (https://www.brownells.com/firearms/h...9%2bmm%2bLuger)
    + USD250 export fee
    + USD??? shipping
    + USD175 GST
    + NZD55.71 entry fees

Total is around NZD2,150 at 0.64 exchange rate. And that's assuming shipping is free.

So to make it financially worthwhile from US, I would need to place a bigger order. However it may still make sense to purchase from the US to get exactly what I want.

Are there any other countries that export firearms? If I want to purchase a Glock does it may make financial sense to import from a European website?

7. Post
    Gamblor wrote:
    Thanks for the info. Just for fun I did some calculations based on what's available at Gun City - the P320 X-series.

NZD2,199 from Gun City (https://www.guncity.com/9mm-sig-320-...-barrel-349974)

USD916.99 from Brownells (https://www.brownells.com/firearms/h...9%2bmm%2bLuger)
    + USD250 export fee
    + USD??? shipping
    + USD175 GST
    + NZD55.71 entry fees

Total is around NZD2,150 at 0.64 exchange rate. And that's assuming shipping is free.

So to make it financially worthwhile from US, I would need to place a bigger order. However it may still make sense to purchase from the US to get exactly what I want.

Are there any other countries that export firearms? If I want to purchase a Glock does it may make financial sense to import from a European website?
    I got a glock brand new from my mate for $600 direct imported from Austria, he did bring in about 10 of them though.

8. Post
    That's great information. It would be awesome if you can find out what website he used to purchase from.

9. Post
    Gamblor wrote:
    That's great information. It would be awesome if you can find out what website he used to purchase from.
    I believe he purchased direct from Glock as he is a dealer/importer but I will ask him when I see him for you.