1. Post

Backlight bleed issue?

So I think my new Sony X80G has a backlight bleed issue but not 100% sure as it might be IPS glow instead.

I only notice it if the image is very dark and there is no ambient light so 90% of the time its not an issue. It does take up quite abit of the screen in the corners. If I adjust my viewing angle it becomes less noticeable.

When I do a backlight bleed test in the dark I notice it in the corners but its kind of cloudy and not that bright. When I open all the curtains and brighten up the room I don't see any backlight bleed at all.

Do you guys think this is a backlight bleed issue or just IPS glow? When I was playing Outlast 2 in the dark it did hamper the experience a bit.

Should I bother RMA'ing it or am I just being paranoid? After going through the rigmarole of returning the 2 Panasonics I'm not really keen on going through that shit again. Also if I take it back and they test it I have a feeling they won't think its bad enough to warrant an RMA.

cheers

2. Post
    Light bleed is common for these types of panels. My IPS gaming monitor does the same thing - at night if I turn the lights off and put a black image on the screen I can see light bleed all along the edges of the panel.

I don't think it's an defect that you can RMA, but rather just a feature of the panel technology.

3. Post
    I've done a RMA on 3 Sony panels a few years ago due to back light bleed after the 3rd i went to a Sammy panel and it did the same so gave up as I realized its just a shortcoming of these types of panels, every other Led/lcd I've owned has the same shortcoming so its just part and parcel with lcd unfortunately.

4. Post
    yeah I tend to agree with you guys. Not going to worry about it now. Just seems like one of the drawbacks of LCD's so will just have to live with it.

cheers

5. Post
    RIP Plasma TVs

6. Post
    B|ind-Reaper* wrote:
    RIP Plasma TVs
    It's called OLED now, except now they are as thinner than the latest phones and a fraction of the weight compared to plasma sets.

But for nostalgia purposes, you can still buy a Plasma if you want one: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sea...125467f253-004

7. Post
    Man I'd love to get an OLED if they had 50 inch models. Anything bigger won't fit in my tiny ass bedroom lol.