Half-Life: Alyx - VR game

Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
(3 votes)
Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    frio wrote:
    Prediction is that this *is* HL3 but they’re hiding the other half of the game imo
    Except this is a prequel, not a sequel.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 23rd November 2019 at 3:20 am.

2. Post
    So can you not actually walk around and explore the levels? it's just on rails the whole time?

3. Post
    ABOUT GAMEPLAY IN VR:

Valve’s return to the Half-Life universe that started it all was built from the ground up for virtual reality. VR was built to enable the gameplay that sits at the heart of Half-Life.

Immerse yourself in deep environmental interactions, puzzle solving, world exploration, and visceral combat.

Lean to aim around a broken wall and under a Barnacle to make an impossible shot. Rummage through shelves to find a healing syringe and some shotgun shells. Manipulate tools to hack alien interfaces. Toss a bottle through a window to distract an enemy. Rip a Headcrab off your face and throw it out the window.

4. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Except this is a prequel, not a sequel.
    There’s no way a company who hid a Half Life game from the world until 4 months before its release could be hiding anything else, right? .

I could be totally wrong, but “close your eyes honey” is a very loaded phrase to put in a trailer.

5. Post
    frio wrote:
    There’s no way a company who hid a Half Life game from the world until 4 months before its release could be hiding anything else, right? .
    There'd no faster way to get a big chunk of your audience to turn on you then by making a much requested sequel be exclusive to niche hardware.

6. Post
    Valve was the first dev to make an exclusive storefront for their titles people hated it at first but eventually came around. Maybe Valve will be the ones to finally sell people on VR. Even I'm tempted to get a VR headset for this.

7. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    Valve was the first dev to make an exclusive storefront for their titles people hated it at first but eventually came around. Maybe Valve will be the ones to finally sell people on VR. Even I'm tempted to get a VR headset for this.
    The difference is Steam is free software, not a $1500-2000 piece of hardware. Huge difference with this barrier of entry.

Even if this one game turns to amazing, it's still just ONE GAME. Not enough to make most people want to drop $1.5k. 90% of the other VR games are still glorified arcade games and tech demo fodder, hardly compelling stuff for normies to make them want to open their wallets at the current hardware prices. (If you're into cockpit simulators, it's an entirely different story. However those are niche genre games with limited crossover appeal with mainstream AAA fare.)

8. Post
    People were similarly outraged when a small title named Quake 3 didn’t support software rendering and required a GPU. Some titles elect to push the industry forward. It’s not like it’ll matter to steamcash Valve’s bottom line if it sells only a single copy.

9. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    The difference is Steam is free software, not a $1500-2000 piece of hardware. Huge difference with this barrier of entry.

Even if this one game turns to amazing, it's still just ONE GAME. Not enough to make most people want to drop $1.5k. 90% of the other VR games are still glorified arcade games and tech demo fodder, hardly compelling stuff for normies to make them want to open their wallets at the current hardware prices. (If you're into cockpit simulators, it's an entirely different story. However those are niche genre games with limited crossover appeal with mainstream AAA fare.)
    Yup even just this one game is enough to convince people to pickup VR.

10. Post
    Interesting the difference of attitudes people have between this and the 'killer app' console exclusive games. They both operate under the same goal - to get people to buy new hardware...

11. Post
    VR doesn't cost that much anymore - if you already have a half decent gaming PC.

You can get a Samsung Odyssey+ for around $400 at the moment from Amazon, which has the same screen res as the Index, but because it uses an OLED has better colour and blacks (but gives up a bit of clarity to the Index).

Sure you'll get better controllers, tracking and the ability to run a higher frame rate if your PC can handle it with the Index (unless you have an absolute beast or running an old game it can't), but it certainly isn't worth the big price difference in my opinion.

12. Post
    Gabe has always been envious of nintendo shipping unique hardware and software to take advantage of it. So now its their turn.

I think people will understand why it IS VR exclusive when they play it.

This is the AAA game that VR has needed to gain further traction.

13. Post
    eh , when i was younger i spent a lot of money for a 3dfx card to play 1 game.

Now i am older and despite much more liquidity , i am not really interested. /shrug Maybe if it came out 10 ****ing years ago VALVE !!1

14. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    VR doesn't cost that much anymore - if you already have a half decent gaming PC.

You can get a Samsung Odyssey+ for around $400 at the moment from Amazon, which has the same screen res as the Index, but because it uses an OLED has better colour and blacks (but gives up a bit of clarity to the Index).

Sure you'll get better controllers, tracking and the ability to run a higher frame rate if your PC can handle it with the Index (unless you have an absolute beast or running an old game it can't), but it certainly isn't worth the big price difference in my opinion.
    That headset isn't listed as supported
    It's index rift s and htc

15. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    That headset isn't listed as supported
    It's index rift s and htc
    It is supported, it is a Windows Mixed Reality headset, which the game is also listed as supporting.