Page 1 of 3 123 Last

1. Question

Mechanic repair price check

hi guys just got some work done on my '06 Honda Fit and was wondering if I paid too much or it was a fair price.

I paid $500 to get the left hand front top mount fixed and the right hand rear wheel bearings done. The guy quoted me $400 but it ended up costing $500. That amount seems a bit steep to me but I'm clueless about this stuff so have no idea lol.

cheers

2. Post
    There's a few front mounts that could be (it's not really enough info even with the location description) but in answer to your question that doesn't seem an unreasonable price

3. Post
    Pretty good price.

4. Post
    Doesn't sound too bad.

5. Post
    Did you not receive an invoice which should give you a break down of costs? As above it sounds reasonable as long as the parts were of decent quality.

6. Post
    Eagle wrote:
    Did you not receive an invoice which should give you a break down of costs? As above it sounds reasonable as long as the parts were of decent quality.
    Yeah the breakdown of the invoice looks something like this:

Description--------------------Quantity---------------Price

Top Mount------------------------1 ----------------------150
    Rear right wheel bearings --1----------------------- 300

----------------------------------------------------Subtotal 450
    ----------------------------------------------------GST 67.50
    ---------------------------------------------------Total 517.50

It didnt state how much the labour was but that was obviously factored in somewhere. He also said he gave me a $50 discount.

7. Post
    Ahaha wtf

Seriously though, what's the top mount supposed to be?

8. Post
    GaR wrote:
    Ahaha wtf

Seriously though, what's the top mount supposed to be?
    I have absolutely no idea lol. All it said on the warrant sheet was LHF top mount. I probably should've asked the dude who failed my warrant a bit more about it lol. Hopefully when I take it back to get rechecked the correct thing was actually fixed lol.

9. Post
    I'd assume top engine mount although weird way to say it.

10. Post
    Engine mount isn't wof

Its probably the upper wishbone outer ball joint but could be any one of 3 things in that location

11. Post
    It's probably cheaper than trying to do it yourself and ****ing it up

12. Post
    I was thinking strut top hat.

13. Post
    Yea that's one of the other options but he probably would have noticed that pre wof, but he may not have felt the outer ball joint or the inner bushes

14. Post
    Top mount intercooler. It keeps the vtecs icey cold.

15. Post
    Ok so the "recheck" passed so that's the end of that lol. Weird thing is the dude didn't actually recheck it and just got one of his underlings to chuck a new WOF sticker on lol. Kind of pisses me off cos I could've not got anything fixed and lied about it and he still would've passed it. What was the point of failing me in the first place if he's not even gonna recheck it lol.

He is my usual mechanic though so maybe he was pissed off I took it to someone else lol. I always go to him for my WOF because 95% of the time he's pretty lenient & just passes it . I just went with this other dude to get it fixed this time cos hes just across the road so it's much less hassle.

He was busy so didn't even bother asking what the hell he meant by top mount so that remains a mystery lol.

16. Post
    Id say it was the strut mount, maybe he replaced the bearing etc also and we don't know what brand he used.

My old workmate told me years ago about people misdiagnosing strut mounts in certain Honda's, hopefully this isnt the case here.

17. Post
    Are you happy with the work done? Could you have done the work yourself?

There is your answer. I dont know why people are coming on here and asking if what they paid for work is fair, after paying for the work. Time costs money, parts cost money, did you expect it to be free?

18. Post
    I think he's just asking whether what was charged for that time and those parts was reasonable, not that it should be free. Mechanics, in general, do have a rep for ripping people off, particularly those who lack any mechanical skills so don't know any different. Should he not be allowed to ask his GP CB&M buds?

19. Post
    Triple_S wrote:
    Are you happy with the work done? Could you have done the work yourself?

There is your answer. I dont know why people are coming on here and asking if what they paid for work is fair, after paying for the work. Time costs money, parts cost money, did you expect it to be free?
    wtf I took it to a qualified mechanic who is in business. Why the **** would I expect it to be free lol? I just wanted to know if I paid a fair price since I had absolutely no idea.

I can't really say if I'm happy or unhappy with the work since I didn't notice any issues in the first place. Still feels the same to me lol.

And no obviously I couldn't do the work myself hence why I took it to a mechanic and as I mentioned earlier I have no idea when it comes to fixing cars.

Frederick James wrote:
    I think he's just asking whether what was charged for that time and those parts was reasonable, not that it should be free. Mechanics, in general, do have a rep for ripping people off, particularly those who lack any mechanical skills so don't know any different. Should he not be allowed to ask his GP CB&M buds?
    Exactly right bro Some people though lol

20. Post
    My March failed its last warrant on play on the left front. "suspect wheel bearing or upper strut mount"

Turns out that doing the hub nut up properly is quite important.

21. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    The problem isn't that he asked if the price was reasonable, that was a reasonable question. the thing that gets peoples heckles up is the fact he said the price seemed steep to him then in the same sentence said he's clueless about that sort of stuff. That is the unreasonable portion of his post, so before jumping into the white knight suit of saviour hood perhaps look at it from a different perspective

OP choose your words better before making out that everyone else is a dick for calling you out on your assumptive claims with no backing

22. Post
    its quite funny how the industry works. throws out a random $ figure out of nowhere then deducts $50 cuz im a GC, (but im still ripping u off by 1- charging inflated prices on cheap parts and 2- probably fixing something that doesnt even require doing).
    but hey, this is the nature of the game which is car ownership without a clue.

my advice for future - either build a relationship with a mechanic (that is here to stay, not someone whos going to be moving around etc) by being a genuinely nice person and always going there (costs a bit at first but should get better over time).

or, take a more mechanically minded friend along, get a few quotes and start learning about it in your spare time (if you want to, otherwise it will just be endless random bills for random repairs that has to be done on any used car pretty much)

btw, I am pretty sure the front top mount refers to the strut mount but who knows...

23. Post
    Yeah I think it might've been the strut mount as well. I should probably listen properly or try and get a better understanding next time lol.

St4lk3r wrote:

OP choose your words better before making out that everyone else is a dick for calling you out on your assumptive claims with no backing
    Huh?? I wasn't making out that everyone else was a dick at all. If people took it that way that was absolutely not my intention at all. I'm actually very grateful for everyone's input. My assumptions regarding the price were just due to my ignorance and lack of knowledge about car repairs so I get your point regarding that. Me saying the price seemed a bit steep was probably unfair but that's once again due to my lack of knowledge as well as being a bit wary of mechanics in general until I've been to them a few times. I also hate spending money on car repairs so saying the price is too steep is usually my first reaction whether its right or wrong lol.

I just had a bit of an issue with Triple S when he asked if I expected it to be free, which was a ridiculous question tbh.

24. Post
    His post was clearly a tounge in cheek exaggeration in regard to you saying it seemed expensive with no idea of actual costs

25. Post
    What I don't get is that i seems a lot of people think mechanics are ripoffs and aren't allowed to earn a living.