Results 26 to 50 of 66

  1. Post
    #26
    A lot of them are, that is the problem. It's not exclusive to mechanics by any means.

    We got a new van at work in 2013, had it serviced at stealership because figured they'd do it right. Soon stopped doing that as the service bills were actually taking the piss. I started just using my local workshop instead and the bills halved. As mentioned, find a garage that is trustworthy and you don't have to worry about it.

    Big difference between earning a living and overcharging because you can get away with it.

    Good example:
    "wipers are getting on a bit, would you like them replaced?"
    "how much roughly?"
    "oh not much, $10-20"
    "yeah sweet sounds good"

    Later that day I get the bill. Around $100 for wipers (they found out whole arms had to be done), no further phone calls or anything. This was on top of the rest of the service bill. So I went over the whole thing and kicked up a stink. They ended up throwing the wipers in and I never went back. Live and learn.

  2. Post
    #27
    Same in the IT game. Customers tend to worry or fear what they don't understand. The invoice in question is a bit ambiguous, not even the gp mechanics have made full sense of it. Seems like a legitimate question to me.

  3. Post
    #28
    Who'd have thought, a dealership using genuine OEM parts costs more than Bobs servo down the road with an appco/bnt account

    The part of your post I agree with is the failure to call regarding additional cost, that's a defo no no.

  4. Post
    #29
    Mutton wrote:
    Same in the IT game. Customers tend to worry or fear what they don't understand. The invoice in question is a bit ambiguous, not even the gp mechanics have made full sense of it. Seems like a legitimate question to me.
    As stated, the question itself was legitimate, the wording around it is the issue

  5. Post
    #30
    Pandaemonaeon wrote:
    What I don't get is that i seems a lot of people think mechanics are ripoffs and aren't allowed to earn a living.
    This. Electrical is worse. Everyone thinks everything is simple.

    Nothing on modern cars now is simple. The over heads are going up and up. But people still expect the price to be of an EE90 rolla. I have had VW not go because of a broken wire in a door hinge. Same with a Ford mondeo. Would not go only when the heater was on. Factory crimp on a can wire didn't like the heat. 15 hours labour 5c fix. Dealer already had 40 hours on the job.

    Cars aren't simple no more and people just have to accept the repair bill is gonna be high.

    Plus even simple jobs like wiper blades can turn into a broken arm because of things like rust. Which is no ones fault. They can't not fix it, because then you'll have no wipers.

  6. Post
    #31
    People would be crying a lot harder if they got charged real time labour (that's multi industry as well, people would buy a new TV twice over if they had to pay real time on diagnostic/repair of their old one)

  7. Post
    #32
    St4lk3r wrote:
    As stated, the question itself was legitimate, the wording around it is the issue
    Yeah I totally admit my wording was wrong. I was a bit worried about something I didn't understand but it was unfair to assume the price was steep when I had nothing to base that on. Anyways it's done and dusted and I'm over it now lol.

  8. Post
    #33
    Yea parallel conversations are happening now it's not just continued digs at you don't worry

  9. Post
    #34
    St4lk3r wrote:
    The problem isn't that he asked if the price was reasonable, that was a reasonable question. the thing that gets peoples heckles up is the fact he said the price seemed steep to him then in the same sentence said he's clueless about that sort of stuff. That is the unreasonable portion of his post, so before jumping into the white knight suit of saviour hood perhaps look at it from a different perspective

    OP choose your words better before making out that everyone else is a dick for calling you out on your assumptive claims with no backing
    Shit sorry, not trying to white knight for anyone, just explain what I took to be OP's angle, which he subsequently confirmed was the case. Like your post here, it just seemed a bit heavy-handed. And I mean, if I can get what OP was getting at, anyone should be able to

    I think that putting words in people mouths - expect it to be free, mechanics not allowed make a living - is alienating to someone simply asking for some feedback, is a little bit "butthurt snowflake".

    Maybe you and the other resident professionals could possibly be a little more generous in your interpretation of where someone is coming from. Not read things into it that simply aren't there. Getting pedantic about wording is a fast track to becoming offended over nothing.

    "I don't know much about cars, but this seems a little expensive for what it sounds like - is it?"
    "No it sounds pretty reasonable really" or "Yeah it's a bit on the high side".

    Could have just left it at that rather than make a big thing of it

  10. Post
    #35
    No one put words in his mouth, people read what he was saying as he said it, which he acknowledged wasn't a good choice of words, interpreting peoples words how you want isn't a good idea as it leads to confusion and miscommunication.

  11. Post
    #36
    "I don't know much/anything about cars, does this price seem reasonable?"

    "is my mechanic having a laugh or is this all good?"

    Both acceptable questions

    "I don't know anything about cars but this seems expensive" is however not when you have no knowledge of the costs or the subject

    The OP understood the point and acknowledged it, I'm not sure why you're struggling

  12. Post
    #37
    You double posted, so just edited in what I was replying to. You seem quite wound up Stalker - you okay?

    St4lk3r wrote:
    No one put words in his mouth, people read what he was saying as he said it, which he acknowledged wasn't a good choice of words, interpreting peoples words how you want isn't a good idea as it leads to confusion and miscommunication.
    Yeah they did - he never said he expected it to be free, or that mechanics shouldn't be allowed to make a living. That was other people projecting.

    And jumping on the guy for clumsy wording (which is debatable anyway - like I say, I fully understood where he was coming from) - is very sensitive. You attack him. I say "He didn't mean it like that", so you then attack me. You on the rag or something bruv?

  13. Post
    #38
    St4lk3r wrote:
    People would be crying a lot harder if they got charged real time labour (that's multi industry as well, people would buy a new TV twice over if they had to pay real time on diagnostic/repair of their old one)
    100%

  14. Post
    #39
    That is probably because a lot of people do get ripped off

    I would like to say most people are good, but I've interacted with too many people to know this isn't the case

    I would assume most people here if they are going to get repairs done will either do it themself, or go to someone they know and say X is broken fix plz, these people are not the ones getting ripped off
    The people getting ripped off are the people with zero mechanical knowledge
    "Yeah your cat is worn, rusted out and leaking, and your rear O2 sensor is dead because of it, that will cost $900"
    That was a $60 fix by cutting the cat out
    My mrs would have paid that in a heart beat if she didn't ring me first
    :edit:
    Also back in my day people would cut cats out for free to scrap them for $$$
    :edit #2:
    holy shit that was replying to panda

  15. Post
    #40
    You can't cut cats out no more. Just saying. I get your point though.

    -e- But there is also doing the job right and cutting corners. I know a few sparkys that will only fit new parts. No matter what. No second hands goods. No corners cut. Getting "ripped off" can be subjective.

  16. Post
    #41
    Frederick James wrote:
    You double posted, so just edited in what I was replying to. You seem quite wound up Stalker - you okay?



    Yeah they did - he never said he expected it to be free, or that mechanics shouldn't be allowed to make a living. That was other people projecting.

    And jumping on the guy for clumsy wording (which is debatable anyway - like I say, I fully understood where he was coming from) - is very sensitive. You attack him. I say "He didn't mean it like that", so you then attack me. You on the rag or something bruv?
    I'm fine, you're misinterpreting my tone, nor was I attacking him, I was explaining clearly why people were defensive about his line of questioning, you'll note the first reply in the thread was me, answering his question. I'll grant you the misinterpretation of triple s's post as it was ambiguous wording at best but you can't claim he was unreasonable with his tounge and cheek over exaggeration while claiming to read between the lines of the Ops post as that's just intellectually dishonest, they were both doing the same thing.

  17. Post
    #42
    Do we have emissions testing in NZ yet?
    If we don't then nothing is stopping you from doing it (except maybe noise?)
    :edit:
    STOP INTERRUPTING MY POSTS

  18. Post
    #43
    Frederick James wrote:
    Yeah they did - he never said he expected it to be free, or that mechanics shouldn't be allowed to make a living. That was other people projecting.

    And jumping on the guy for clumsy wording (which is debatable anyway - like I say, I fully understood where he was coming from) - is very sensitive. You attack him. I say "He didn't mean it like that", so you then attack me. You on the rag or something bruv?
    Its cool bro. Thx for having my back but it's all good I get this problem quite a lot on here where people misinterpret stuff I say but that's probably my own fault because I'm not very good at explaining stuff properly. I didn't mean to cause any fuss at all so was surprised at some people's responses but I understand where they were coming from.

    Lets all join together for a group hug lol

  19. Post
    #44
    St4lk3r wrote:
    I'm fine, you're misinterpreting my tone, nor was I attacking him, I was explaining clearly why people were defensive about his line of questioning, you'll note the first reply in the thread was me, answering his question. I'll grant you the misinterpretation of triple s's post as it was ambiguous wording at best but you can't claim he was unreasonable with his tounge and cheek over exaggeration while claiming to read between the lines of the Ops post as that's just intellectually dishonest, they were both doing the same thing.
    We're good mate, I'm mostly just taking the piss. But I think maybe you should let TripleS speak for himself - without a smiley or something to temper the heavy-handed wording of what he said, you can understand someone saying "Whoa, steady on!" - you'd think there'd be a wink if it was just being a bit cheeky/tongue in cheek.

    If it's ambiguous, one can choose to take it however they want. Taking it negatively rather than being generous in your interpretation of it says more about you. But it is the internet, so I understand people getting pissy rather than being nice about it. It is 2019 after all!

    Edit; oh and think there's a big difference between innocent and unintentionally clumsy wording, and intentionally over-exaggerating with a Straw Man type of jibe

  20. Post
    #45
    MarksoN wrote:
    Do we have emissions testing in NZ yet?
    If we don't then nothing is stopping you from doing it (except maybe noise?)
    :edit:
    STOP INTERRUPTING MY POSTS
    Pretty sure 2010 onwards it straight out banned. Certain class track cars can be okay though I think .

    Also after a duty cycle or 2 mr engine light gonna say hello. Even on most early 2000s. Pre and post cat oxy sensors are on everything now.

  21. Post
    #46
    You are confusing can't, with more difficult

    My BMW should be throwing error codes and going into limp mode without rear O2 sensors, but it isn't

    Getting around a 2nd O2 sensor is childs play for the most part
    And FYI, Falcons don't run a 2nd O2 sensor...

  22. Post
    #47
    May 2010 first NZ registration is the requirement for a car needing a catalytic converter.

    The people getting ripped off are the people with zero mechanical knowledge
    "Yeah your cat is worn, rusted out and leaking, and your rear O2 sensor is dead because of it, that will cost $900"
    That was a $60 fix by cutting the cat out
    My mrs would have paid that in a heart beat if she didn't ring me first
    Could you have chosen a worse example of someone being "ripped off" because they were trying to LEGALLY do the job?

    People spouting completely incorrect information on forums is exactly how someone starts thinking they are getting ripped off in the first place.
    Sure, your Mrs car may not have needed one based on the 2010 rule, but to go out and claim that no car needs one is both stupid, and irresponsible to anyone else who may be trying to fix their issues.
    Last edited by Pandaemonaeon; 29th November 2019 at 5:28 pm.

  23. Post
    #48
    MarksoN wrote:
    You are confusing can't, with more difficult

    My BMW should be throwing error codes and going into limp mode without rear O2 sensors, but it isn't

    Getting around a 2nd O2 sensor is childs play for the most part
    And FYI, Falcons don't run a 2nd O2 sensor...
    Even with resistors. A lot of cars will still get the light on after awhile. Because of emissions laws now. The wiggle room for "error" is smaller now. The days of using a light bulb as a replacement are gone haha.

    Falcons do have them depending on year and engine.

    Not all cars go into limp no. But the helicopter light will be on. As customers call it.

    In england that is a wof fail. Wouldn't be surprised if it happens here at some point soon.

    Remember emissions basically run the car industry now. Everything is designed around it. Even alternators. More electrical load. More load on engine. More emissions etc.

  24. Post
    #49
    MarksoN wrote:
    Do we have emissions testing in NZ yet?
    If we don't then nothing is stopping you from doing it (except maybe noise?)
    Hence that question

    I've got no problem if they said, cats ****ed needs a new one, but replacing a non-existent 2nd O2 sensor is where I draw the line
    Also even if that was "a legal job", that is still 2-300 over priced
    Cat ~$200
    O2 ~$180
    Maybe 2 hours labour call it $200 on the high side (and thats a big ****ing maybe, remember its just dead, no ****ed wiring, just dead)
    $20 for consumables

  25. Post
    #50
    Why is it over priced? Because.you don't see the value of it? Cats cost a lot because.of what they are made out of. It isn't robbery. It just is what it is. Some parts cost more than others. Just like anything else.

    Used this example before but ou could be living in England, where they fail cars on oil leaks. Probably take 50% of cars off the road here haha.