Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1968

1. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    I think our strategy to nick people off isn't working. We should relentlessly go for lb or bowled and stack the leg side field.
    That worked in schoolboy until the batsmen take guard on outside legstump and drive through the vacant offside.

Its the kind of plan you get one wicket with - and then someone says to the next batsman, take guard on leg. Or if the batsman is talented and the bowler slow enough, inside out drive through the covers.

2. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    That worked in schoolboy until the batsmen take guard on outside legstump and drive through the vacant offside.

Its the kind of plan you get one wicket with - and then someone says to the next batsman, take guard on leg. Or if they're slow enough inside out drive them.
    Let's just gift them 200 runs in one over of noballs being hit for boundaries and advance the game to the next inning.

3. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    Hmmm, Sommerville bowling like some of us owe Santner an apology.

Astle, has bowled so much rubbish and been economical though.

It's like they're scared of the wristy.

Ive given up watching for now. I'll return for the new ball.
    He is just reinforcing the fact that we shouldn't bother playing spinners outside of Asia, unless they are at least as good as Vettori and preferably as good as Warne (that may be asking too much).

4. Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=12297964

So, not load management just NZC proving they are absolutely clueless.

Also the problem I have is that seemingly every spinner in NZ just bowls flat, fast darts. Unless you have the control and discipline of Anil Kumble, you are not threatening international quality batsmen with this style. Offies I can understand if their role is to hold up an end, but you better be able to keep it tight if you are going to bowl that way and give up on any wicket threat.

Astle is less forgivable - you are a leggie FFS. The only reason to ever pick a leggie is to have them toss it up slow and high and rip it away, give it a chance or don't even bother. Sodhi is a bad bowler, but at least he tries to spin the thing.

5. Post
    Celticknife wrote:
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=12297964

So, not load management just NZC proving they are absolutely clueless.

Also the problem I have is that seemingly every spinner in NZ just bowls flat, fast darts. Unless you have the control and discipline of Anil Kumble, you are not threatening international quality batsmen with this style. Offies I can understand if their role is to hold up an end, but you better be able to keep it tight if you are going to bowl that way and give up on any wicket threat.

Astle is less forgivable - you are a leggie FFS. The only reason to ever pick a leggie is to have them toss it up slow and high and rip it away, give it a chance or don't even bother. Sodhi is a bad bowler, but at least he tries to spin the thing.
    The article appears to mention load management.

LOL at Matt Henry averaging nearly 50 in tests. Why is he ever picked. I never knew that stat.

6. Post
    If we persisted with Sodhi for a year maybe even more would he turn good?

I'm talking a year of being in the team, no dropping him every second series or being a fringe player. If he manages to have control and that can come with confidence etc then maybe hes worth perserving with?

7. Post
    This test probably makes us look worse than the tests before it tbh

We showed glimpses at times in the past 2 and I think a few people would openly admit we didn't perform to our potential etc.. but this. Is this a pisstake?

8. Post
    Whoever we played the result was inevitable

Pakistan had a good attack and they got dicked too.

9. Post
    So Stead says Southee is too slow for Aus outside the pink ball test? I know wrighty and I both said this before Melbourne. Just too hard to drop him after 9for in Perth (even if 5 wickets were Paine and below) Stead to then face the media if they grilling him post Melbourne today in Sydney.

I disagree with the need for 2 spinners. It was one spinner max. I would ahve played Jamieson to see what his bounce is like. But I must admit, a lot of me just wants to see him play. Stead has seen him in the nets the last few weeks.

10. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    The article appears to mention load management.

LOL at Matt Henry averaging nearly 50 in tests. Why is he ever picked. I never knew that stat.
    51 - he has reached his 50 and beat Santner to it.

11. Post
    Chaosfollowsme wrote:
    If we persisted with Sodhi for a year maybe even more would he turn good?

I'm talking a year of being in the team, no dropping him every second series or being a fringe player. If he manages to have control and that can come with confidence etc then maybe hes worth perserving with?
    Mate - we did that. Sodhi replaced Martin, before Craig took his spot. Sodhi cannot land the ball for tests, far too many half trackers, with no boundary protection. It works in t20, cos there are two men out there, it doesn't work in tests. Its free runs. Lots and lots of free runs.

Sodhi has had 17 tests. That's 1 test less than Shane Bond. Sodhi averages 48.58... He will be the next to reach 50...

12. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    51 - he has reached his 50 and beat Santner to it.
    LOL why did we not know that stat. Just no swing doesnt work at his pace.

There is no point second guessing the selectors for this test. We wanted changes rung. We made 5. No difference to the outcome.

13. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    LOL why did we not know that stat. Just no swing doesnt work at his pace.

There is no point second guessing the selectors for this test. We wanted changes rung. We made 5. No difference to the outcome.

Err speak for yourself - I knew Henry was mid to late 40s before England test... :P

14. Post
    Apparently the Aussie media are trying to blame Archer for Smith's average drop to the short ball... despite Smith coming back in the next game and scoring a dbl century and an ~80, and another ~80 in the final test. And noone mentioning any issue until Wagner bowled to him.

I am pretty sure its Wagner's short balls he is having the issues scoring off. And getting out too. Strange how noone noticed Smith had ashort ball problem against England or Pakistan int he 4 tests. Its damn sure he has problem vs Wagner. He doesn't want to take him for runs.
    Last edited by Paddles; 4th January 2020 at 1:08 am.

15. Post
    Hi all

I only tunned in for the last session, but how disappointing to see CdG bowling 114kph with the second new ball and Henry bowling dead straight 135 kph (max). How can you say Southee wasn't quick enough, yet throw the new ball to CdG? CdG wouldn't even open the bowling in domestic cricket, but to see him doing it such a prestigious test match was so disappointing. I'm not sure Jamieson would've been the answer though, I'm not sure how much extra bounce he would've got from that pitch to trouble the batsman.

The other massive issue I have, is they said Raval was out of form, yet rather than bring someone else in, they have given him another go. Will Young must be absolutely spewing and rightly so - he worked so hard to try crack in to this team, and unluckily for him through injury (and good form from incumbents at the time), has to watch guys like Raval and Philips picked ahead of him.

I know I'm not offering any solutions here, but due to their terrible player management over the last 12-18 months, we don't know who could step up to fill the gaps, because we haven't used opportunities to build depth - rather choosing to flog players whom we (as fans) can see are blindingly out of form and/or not up to it. Speaking of not up to it, I really question the Philips selection...again, don't know who else I'd pick, but I don't think he has the temperament to step up - I hope I am wrong.

My 5c worth

16. Post
    And now Henry has broken his thumb....but will bowl still

17. Post
    Going to have to watch on mute today. Commentators are worse than the previous cumstains

18. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    And now Henry has broken his thumb....but will bowl still
    *and catch one handed. GL fielding or catching with a broken thumb.

19. Post
    Don't think we need to stress. Young was next in line, and only missed out because of the extraordinary events and injury.
    He's back from CD A next week. For the Indian series, surely he'll make the squad in place of Raval.

Cracking the XI might be harder now with Blundell getting the MCG ton.
    Being in NZ, we might do the six batsmen, four bowlers selections, which I prefer. This would allow Blundell and Young in the same XI.

20. Post
    Jesus this is pathetic tactics already. So negative in the first over. Ridiculous

21. Post
    Lol. **** off O’Keefe you douche.

22. Post
    Burns and Wade... not really taking their chances. May be their last? Wade especially, always coming in at good positions and not taking them. Tired bowlers.

Think I'd be moving Head to 5 and bringing in Carey or someone.

23. Post
    Somerville looks much better to the lefties, as expected. Not easy yesterday to two of the best righties around

24. Post
    kopkiwi wrote:
    Lol. **** off O’Keefe you douche.
    Cant stand that old bastard eh. Awful commentator

25. Post
    On 150 but already talking about his 300. Jesus.