Results 1 to 19 of 19

  1. Post

    Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

    Read article...

  2. Post
    #2
    Honestly, he deserves nothing

  3. Post
    #3
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    Honestly, he deserves nothing
    Yeah, as I understand it he didn't have a lick of faith in CD Projekt and practically laughed them out of the building when they tried to license the IP. He took a paltry upfront sum because he was so sure they would fail. He even went on to talk shit about CD Project and their games. Then he saw the sales numbers, particularly of Wild Hunt... OH WOE IS ME, I WAS RIPPED OFF. No, you were a silly ****. You've made your bed now lie in it.

    To be fair though. nobody would have saw it coming. A total unknown polish indie developer wanting to license a polish fantasy series to make a video game on a shoestring budget with the hope of gaining an international audience... yeah, doesn't sound like it'd sell 5 copies, let alone however many Wild Hunt sold.

    Edit: As of June this year, 20 million. The series, 40 million. I'd be butthurt too.
    Last edited by Xev; 23rd December 2019 at 10:30 am.

  4. Post
    #4
    Xev wrote:
    Yeah, as I understand it he didn't have a lick of faith in CD Project and practically laughed them out of the building when they tried to license the IP. He took a paltry upfront sum because he was so sure they would fail. He even went on to talk shit about CD Project and their games. Then he saw the sales numbers, particularly of Wild Hunt... OH WOE IS ME, I WAS RIPPED OFF. No, you were a silly ****. You've made your bed now lie in it.
    Yep, exactly why I have no sympathy for him. Imagine selling Facebook to Zuckerberg for $10,000, and then trying to get money off him now because it's so successful.

  5. Post
    #5
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    Yep, exactly why I have no sympathy for him. Imagine selling Facebook to Zuckerberg for $10,000, and then trying to get money off him now because it's so successful.
    Not to mention 99% of people who bought the games didn't buy them because they were familiar with the franchise. CD Projekt took an obscure IP and turned it into an international phenomenon, no doubt selling hundreds of thousands if not millions of Witcher books along the way. And the Netflix series would not have been possible without the games either. I'd wager that Sapkowski made a killing off of the games, just not directly.

    I love the Witcher, but Sapkowski is a child.

  6. Post
    #6
    Yup , i have even less respect for him after he tried to sue them for more money in order to gain more leverage for a future deal. A petty individual of bad faith and lack of integrity.

  7. Post
    #7
    Xev wrote:
    Not to mention 99% of people who bought the games didn't buy them because they were familiar with the franchise. CD Projekt took an obscure IP and turned it into an international phenomenon, no doubt selling hundreds of thousands if not millions of Witcher books along the way. And the Netflix series would not have been possible without the games either. I'd wager that Sapkowski made a killing off of the games, just not directly.

    I love the Witcher, but Sapkowski is a child.
    For sure, I'd not heard of the books prior to the games. Still not reading them though lol.

  8. Post
    #8
    The guy sounds like a right dick. No one would have heard of his obscure polish books if not for the video games and now he has a TV show about it on Netflix.

  9. Post
    #9
    Xev wrote:
    To be fair though. nobody would have saw it coming. A total unknown polish indie developer wanting to license a polish fantasy series to make a video game on a shoestring budget with the hope of gaining an international audience... yeah, doesn't sound like it'd sell 5 copies, let alone however many Wild Hunt sold.
    Wild Hunt was the third game in the series.

    I remember when the first game came out and I bought it there was a cult following and it was a reasonable commercial success. As I recall the second game was even more of a commercial success and saw mainstream success with the console releases. The third game obviously hit it out of the park, but it was hardly unpredictable, an open-world RPG from them was clearly going to be a huge success, following the trajectory from the earlier two.

    I agree that the guy is a dick though. Without the games his series would've languished as an unknown Polish regional success forever, even if he refuses to acknowledge it.

  10. Post
    #10
    A lot of "insightful" posts from people who think they know far more than they actually do.

  11. Post
    #11
    korgz wrote:
    A lot of "insightful" posts from people who think they know far more than they actually do.
    Care to enlighten us with you wisdom?

  12. Post
    #12
    I've read, what seems to be pure speculation, that the reason behind Andrzejs attempt at suing CDPR was out pure of desperation.
    Knowing full well he wouldn't receive the figure he was asking for but hoping to settle for a lesser amount as he needed money to help pay the medical bills required to help save his sons life, Krzysztof Sapkowski.
    Whom if my understanding is correct, was battling cancer, and died last year.
    I think by the time he settled it was already too late, my guess is that the cancer had reached the terminal stage and it was merely a matter of time.

    Personally, if any of the above is factual, I think he went about it the wrong way.
    Ideally, in my view, he should have been honest and upfront with CD Projekt Red.
    I can't imagine they would be heartless enough, all things considered.
    That if he told them about WHY he needed the money, that they may have helped him.and perhaps even gone a step further, with the medical costs that "might" have saved his sons life a heck of a lot sooner.

    But again this is all speculation.
    As Andrzej has never gone on record, as far as I'm aware, as to how/why his son passed.
    As a side note, if it weren't for Krzysztof, the Witcher series never would have existed. Given he made a request to his father when young, which went somewhere to the effect of 'Why do not you write something like that?' to which Andrzej responded 'No problem, I will write' (the full and unedited quote can be found here https://thewitcher.tv/krzysztof-sapk...ski-has-passed)

  13. Post
    #13
    DeltaTenNZ wrote:
    I've read, what seems to be pure speculation, that the reason behind Andrzejs attempt at suing CDPR was out pure of desperation.
    Knowing full well he wouldn't receive the figure he was asking for but hoping to settle for a lesser amount as he needed money to help pay the medical bills required to help save his sons life, Krzysztof Sapkowski.
    Whom if my understanding is correct, was battling cancer, and died last year.
    I think by the time he settled it was already too late, my guess is that the cancer had reached the terminal stage and it was merely a matter of time.

    Personally, if any of the above is factual, I think he went about it the wrong way.
    Ideally, in my view, he should have been honest and upfront with CD Projekt Red.
    I can't imagine they would be heartless enough, all things considered.
    That if he told them about WHY he needed the money, that they may have helped him.and perhaps even gone a step further, with the medical costs that "might" have saved his sons life a heck of a lot sooner.

    But again this is all speculation.
    As Andrzej has never gone on record, as far as I'm aware, as to how/why his son passed.
    As a side note, if it weren't for Krzysztof, the Witcher series never would have existed. Given he made a request to his father when young, which went somewhere to the effect of 'Why do not you write something like that?' to which Andrzej responded 'No problem, I will write' (the full and unedited quote can be found here https://thewitcher.tv/krzysztof-sapk...ski-has-passed)
    CDPR offered him royalties and other deals which would have been worth way more than what he originally took. Sapkowski was an idiot and demanded cash up front because he thought video games are a stupid form of media. He made his demands, got what he requested, signed the deal. He made a bad deal, but it was the deal he wanted.

    After that, Sapkowski spent years basically badmouthing the games, continuing to show them no respect.

    Now he wants a bigger piece of the pie. After making an idiotic mistake, and then being a rude prick about the situation, he suddenly demands more. Why? Because lawyers.

    You see, once Netflix got interested in making a series, they sent lawyers to negotiate with him. He lawyered up, and negotiations began. You see, Sapkowski learned his lesson. He surely thinks television, and certainly streaming shows are beneath him just like video games, but he knows not to underestimate the potential monetary value this time, so he demanded much more up front along with royalties, etc.

    After that was all said and done with, he bitched about the raw deal he negotiated with CDPR to his lawyers, and they suggested going after CDPR for more. With $$$ in his eyes, he sicked his lawyers on CDPR.

    The most ridiculous part of the entire thing is that Sapkowski honestly thinks that his books continue to drive people to the game instead of the other way around. The Witcher books were released in Polish and a few other small Eastern European language translations prior to the games. Sapkowski had a VERY limited customer base for his books. Popular as they were, they were not international titles and had not expanded out of a very small market base. English translations weren't made until after the initial game. The games have been popular around the world and whatever Sapkowski lost in the initial deal has been more than made up for in the incredible increase in sales of his books around the globe (just look at all the people in the forum that post about the books they bought because of the game...and compare it to the number of people who post about reading the books, then playing the game...yeah, not much of a comparison eh). No one outside of Europe would know about the guy was it not for the games. A failed movie and TV series in Poland would have been the death of any sort of new media deals for his stories...except the games have been so popular world wide that now Netflix is doing a series...which would NOT have happened without the games.

    Sapkowski original deal may have been bad (which was his own fault), but he's made out like a bandit due to the popularity of those games. He should be happy, grateful, and appreciative of this, but instead he is bitter, angry, greedy and seeking vengeance for a mistake he made.

  14. Post
    #14
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    The most ridiculous part of the entire thing is that Sapkowski honestly thinks that his books continue to drive people to the game instead of the other way around.
    That's nuts. I'm the biggest bibliophile around, and even I know that the games have driven the popularity of the books. There wouldn't even be proper English translations if it wasn't for the games.

    Edit: I read all the books last year, and loved them. Despite any flaws the author possesses (and don't we all have a few), he knows how to write.

  15. Post
    #15
    DeltaTenNZ wrote:
    As a side note, if it weren't for Krzysztof, the Witcher series never would have existed.
    The Witcher is a rip off of Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melniboné.

  16. Post
    #16
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    The Witcher is a rip off of Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melniboné.
    but is it though in its entirety ?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/com...e_controversy/

  17. Post
    #17
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    The Witcher is a rip off of Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melniboné.
    yeah sure does sound identical!

    The youthful Elric is a cynical and melancholy king, heir to a nation whose 100,000-year rule of the world ended less than 500 years hence. More interested in brooding contemplation than holding the throne, Elric is a reluctant ruler, but he also realizes that no other worthy successor exists and the survival of his once-powerful, decadent nation depends on him alone. Elric's nefarious, brutish cousin Yrkoon has no patience for his physically weak kinsman, and he plots constantly to seize Elric's throne, usually over his dead body. Elric of Melniboné follows Yrkoon's scheming, reaching its climax in a battle between Elric and Yrkoon with the demonic runeblades Stormbringer and Mournblade. In this battle, Elric gains control of the soul-stealing Stormbringer,

  18. Post
    #18
    ^ lol

  19. Post
    #19
    Mikos wrote:
    yeah sure does sound identical!
    https://youtu.be/P80UTMrpFIY?t=1137

    He was a white haired mercenary. He is called The White Wolf.

    Name:  WHERE_IS_YOUR_GOD_NOW.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  27.2 KB