1. Post

Breach of privacy? - your thoughts

Hey guys,

Your thoughts on the below, the buyer said its breach of privacy... which I disagree:

- Buyer purchase an item this afternoon

- I txted him the pick-up address and left him instructions, pick-up parcel under letter box and leave the cash ($25.99) inside the letter box.

- He collected the parcel but didn't leave any cash

- i txted and emailed no reply back.

- 3 hours later, I left a negative feedback which started with there full name, in the negative feedback, I mentioned please respond back to our emails and txts. Negative feedback and comments will be removed once payment has been received.

- He finally got back to me.

- Payment has been received just now, and comment has been removed.

Now she wants to escalate the matter to Trademe and Police because it is breach of privacy?

I am dumbfound how can that be breach of privacy buy stating her full name in the feedback section on her Trademe account?

Updated - The Trademe account is his, but they came and collect together, she was driving and her husband collect the parcel. - I checked the CCTV footage.
    Last edited by Envesty; 27th December 2019 at 10:12 pm.

2. Post
    Tell her to go ahead. Nothing will happen.

Edit: errrmm is it a him or her? Your post is all over the place.

3. Post
    If I left in the Feedback Comments on Trademe - her Address and contact number, I would then understand that might be breach of privacy? By simply address the comment to the person and the person partner full name in the feedback is breach of privacy?

4. Post
    Police won't give a shit, theres no crime committed here. Privacy commissioner would be interested if you were a business, but I'm guessing you're just a private seller.

5. Post
    Just hope there's no revenge turd in your letter box.

6. Post
    No feedbacks has been changed to positive and there full names has been removed.

The whole privacy topic on what you can release to the public is interesting.

I see a lot of posts on the buy and sell market place on Facebook, people are naming and shame with screen shot of profile and a picture of them, how they have been scammed - isn’t that against someone privacy also?

7. Post
    Good on ya. Too many scammers around. Tell them you'll put the video up. And TM is pretty damn useless.

8. Post
    don't open yourself up to clusterf***s by letting the have the item without payment.

9. Post
    Actually, you were the ****. Don't put full names in feedback

10. Post
    They won't do shit, wouldn't worry. I'd do the same if someone scammed me. If they persist let them know you'll be forced to pass all evidence of the attempted fraud to the police, for their records.

Or just ignore the oxygen thieves

11. Post
    Yes. Good job though, seems it worked a treat.

12. Post
    Possibly, but they did pick up without leaving payment as agreed so if you wanted to spook them you could encourage them to go to the police so that you can lay theft charges.

Or pee in their butts. Whatever works.

13. Post
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    Possibly, but they did pick up without leaving payment as agreed so if you wanted to spook them you could encourage them to go to the police so that you can lay theft charges.

Or pee in their butts. Whatever works.
    Re-read OPs statement. They were supposed to leave the money upon collection. And what are the cops going to do? Tell you its a civil matter. Trademe wont do shit.

I bought something off TM 2 months back. Bastard scammed me, TM did nothing, just automatic responses. Scammer didnt even get banned. I put their names up on social media and they still didnt pay. Cops said it was a civil matter. So I set up an AP to scammers. $0.01 per day with a reminder of their actions.

Oh and their names are Joe Wadsworth and Shannel Bain if anyone knows them. Timaru I believe

14. Post
    swazi wrote:
    . So I set up an AP to scammers. $0.01 per day with a reminder of their actions.
    You sure showed them? I probably wouldn't even notice but would find it funny if I checked my account. And I'd be $3.65 richer per year.

Should have bounced a $100,000 cheque into their account. You can deposit cheques directly at the bank if you know their account number and it shows as balance but not available until it bounces and disappears. Sits there like a week.

They'd notice that and start calling around trying to see where it came from and waiting with bated breath to see if it became available.

They'd probably tell all their friends and think about how they'll spend it, then when it bounced they'd angrily call the bank.

15. Post
    Cheques in 2019? Ok boomer
    And pretty sure the dishoner fee would be greater than the $3.65 you called me out on. So double lol

So it costs $15 for the cheapest cheque book (same price for a single cheque) + $50 for an outward cheque dishonour fee.
    Last edited by swazi; 28th December 2019 at 9:15 am.

16. Post
    swazi wrote:
    Cheques in 2019? Ok boomer
    And pretty sure the dishoner fee would be greater than the $3.65 you called me out on. So double lol

So it costs $15 for the cheapest cheque book (same price for a single cheque) + $50 for an outward cheque dishonour fee.
    I didn't call you out on $3.65, I called you out on giving them $3.65.

$10 for a cheque at Westpac, $0 dishonor fee.
    https://www.westpac.co.nz/managing-y...ees-good-news/

Unsure how much a chequebook would cost, I've never looked into it before.

Also I'm pretty sure you're older than I am.

17. Post
    swazi wrote:
    Re-read OPs statement. They were supposed to leave the money upon collection. And what are the cops going to do? Tell you its a civil matter. Trademe wont do shit.
    The point of counter-threatening cops being to scare the scammer, not to effect any action from the cops themselves.

swazi wrote:
    I bought something off TM 2 months back. Bastard scammed me, TM did nothing, just automatic responses. Scammer didnt even get banned. I put their names up on social media and they still didnt pay. Cops said it was a civil matter. So I set up an AP to scammers. $0.01 per day with a reminder of their actions.

Oh and their names are Joe Wadsworth and Shannel Bain if anyone knows them. Timaru I believe
    What did you do beyond that? Disputes tribunal and follow-on actions? How much was the damage?

18. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    I didn't call you out on $3.65, I called you out on giving them $3.65.

$10 for a cheque at Westpac, $0 dishonor fee.
    https://www.westpac.co.nz/managing-y...ees-good-news/

Unsure how much a chequebook would cost, I've never looked into it before.

Also I'm pretty sure you're older than I am.

What what?

You're actually right about the dishour fee though. I had to re-read mine as my goo-fu was actually for Cook Island ANZ
    Still it isnt really going to accomplish anything more than what I did.
    ANZ charges $5 per cheque to send as of September this year

19. Post
    swazi wrote:
    So I set up an AP to scammers. $0.01 per day with a reminder of their actions.
    You sure showed them.

20. Post
    Maybe their bank charges for branch deposits? Deposit 10c a day via branch and they might get hit with a $3 fee or the likes. Just check their bank fee structure.

21. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Maybe their bank charges for branch deposits? Deposit 10c a day via branch and they might get hit with a $3 fee or the likes. Just check their bank fee structure.
    Only for teller deposits, and only some account types. Most branches have long lines because they're deliberately understaffed, so I'd say its not worth the hassle of having to wait in line every day.

Also, I think some of the banks have reworked it so that fee is only for withdrawls now?