1. Post

Left car outside for 9 months

Hi all,

Merry Christmas!

Long story short; I went overseas at the start of April 2019 and I still have not come back to NZ (might not come back at all).

My flat has got a huge front lawn/driveway that we just use for parking and the owner has no problem with me leaving it there for so long.

My question is, what are the biggest issues I would have to deal with if I do decide to come back? WOF has expired as at 23/10/19 and I left the rego on hold until the 01/04/2020, although I am still paying monthly insurance.

As far as I am aware nothing has been done to the car (haven't been started up since I left, etc).

After some research I realised I made a few mistakes such as leaving the handbrake on and not filling up the gas tank to full before leaving.

I kinda just want to get rid of it, I was thinking of either just getting a mobile mechanic to have a look at it and do the proper fixes before selling it online or just listing it super cheap on Trademe

Any recommendations?

Thank you!

2. Post
    What's the car in question? And where is it?

Leaving the handbrake on isn't a huge deal for sub 12 months, usually if it sticks it'll come free pretty quick

Filling the gas tank to full is not necessary and will be more of a Pita than its worth, drain the remaining fuel in it half fill with fresh stuff and cycle the key a few times to get the old shit out of the lines and chances are it'll fire right up

Engine oil doesn't like sitting for long periods of time and engines don't like being not run for long times as they dry out so replace oil before trying anything and then just be gentle on it when trying to start

Tyres, if they've been sitting motionless on grass for that long they'll be ****ed, if they're not rotten they'll definitely be flat spotted to some degree

3. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    What's the car in question? And where is it?

Leaving the handbrake on isn't a huge deal for sub 12 months, usually if it sticks it'll come free pretty quick

Filling the gas tank to full is not necessary and will be more of a Pita than its worth, drain the remaining fuel in it half fill with fresh stuff and cycle the key a few times to get the old shit out of the lines and chances are it'll fire right up

Engine oil doesn't like sitting for long periods of time and engines don't like being not run for long times as they dry out so replace oil before trying anything and then just be gentle on it when trying to start

Tyres, if they've been sitting motionless on grass for that long they'll be ****ed, if they're not rotten they'll definitely be flat spotted to some degree
    Thank you! I was just a bit worried since I kinda been ignoring the car for a while but I reckon it is time to get it sorted

The car is a 2001 Toyota Allex (6 speed manual - 2ZZGE) and it is at my flat in North Shore

Thanks for the tips regarding handbrake, fuel and engine oil - I will make sure to drain the fuel and fill it with fresh ones and change the oil before trying to start.

Now that I think about it, it is actually sitting on gravel not grass, but I will definitely check the tyres before trying to drive if it does start up

4. Post
    If its been sitting in one spot the tyres will be flat spotted to some degree regardless but not being on grass they may not have started rotting/perishing

5. Post
    Sometimes the tyres will come right after a bit of a drive.

6. Post
    I've found doing a sick skid/heat cycle is definitely the best approach

7. Post
    Battery, oil, tires.

WoF, just get a new one. If you're cop-paranoid, book it in ahead of time so that in the event of being pulled over you can say "booked in, call 024-555-4567 to verify if you want" and they will be more likely to let you away with it.

8. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    I've found doing a sick skid/heat cycle is definitely the best approach
    That would definitely qualify as a bit of a drive.

9. Post
    Thank you all for the tips!

10. Post
    Sitting outside and being an older car, i'd consider how the interior is doing as well.
    Long periods of time is bad for getting moisture and eventually mould growth, especially on seats, seatbelts, armrests, etc....

If you arent coming back soon I'd probably get someone to check it, and put a Damp Rid in there. But yeah you should really be getting someone to start it periodically, even every 3-4 months is enough just to keep the engine & galleys lubricated.

As for tires...my Skyline has been basically parked up since 2010-2011, i changed the tires in 2015....in all that time i've never had a flat tire, and i've taken it to have tires aired up maybe 2-3x in all of the last 9 years....did a few sick skids yesterday after bringing it home, they're just fine. The key really is just to take it for a quick drive every few months, even if its 1 minute down the road and back.
    If you don't have that option, then can be a good idea to put it on axle stands to raise the wheels off the ground and get the weight off them.

11. Post
    Jarsky wrote:
    Sitting outside and being an older car, i'd consider how the interior is doing as well.
    Long periods of time is bad for getting moisture and eventually mould growth, especially on seats, seatbelts, armrests, etc....

If you arent coming back soon I'd probably get someone to check it, and put a Damp Rid in there. But yeah you should really be getting someone to start it periodically, even every 3-4 months is enough just to keep the engine & galleys lubricated.

As for tires...my Skyline has been basically parked up since 2010-2011, i changed the tires in 2015....in all that time i've never had a flat tire, and i've taken it to have tires aired up maybe 2-3x in all of the last 9 years....did a few sick skids yesterday after bringing it home, they're just fine. The key really is just to take it for a quick drive every few months, even if its 1 minute down the road and back.
    If you don't have that option, then can be a good idea to put it on axle stands to raise the wheels off the ground and get the weight off them.
    Thanks for the tips mate!

I decided to come back to NZ next week so I will sort it out and hopefully there is no mould inside... 9 months it's not that bad I hope.

I did find a mechanic nearby my flat (Sparg's Autotune in Wairau Valley) that will trailer it to their garage at no additional cost and they will sort out the rest.

12. Post
    Door rubbers and those window seals can deteriorate too.

13. Post
    My car is constantly standing near the house, I can't do anything about it.

14. Post
    Better if you can take a mechanic to the car before you start it. As many problems like locked starter motor, clogged oil, damaged electrics, blocked hydrolic lines are common in cars that were sitting on for a long time without starting and driving.

15. Post
    9 Months isnt a long time

16. Post
    Tell that to a pregnant person.