1. Post

Towing a Caravan

We're looking at buying a caravan at the moment, but am not entirely sure whether its possible for us to tow it. We have two vehicles,

x1 Toyota Corolla Sedan - https://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=CFF145 - 1800CC

x1 Toyota Estima - https://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=huy821 - 2362CC

Caravan in question is a Lightweight Chevron 384 1978. Have asked the seller what the weight of the caravan is, in the meantime, am trying to work out whether either of our current vehicles would have the guts to pull it, while also loaded down by 4 mini humans and 2 full sized humans.

A person on this forum suggests 85% of the towing vehicle's weight so I should be able to get away with towing something less than 1776KG approximately? Am waiting on a reply from the seller to see what the weight of the caravan is.

Cheers.

2. Post
    caravan weight is approx 1200kg

3. Post
    I wouldn't tow that with the Corolla but my late grandfather towed a similar size van with a 90s Corolla wagon for years.

The MPV would be more comfortable with that weight but I'd be a bit worried about longevity (those Estimas aren't exactly renowned for being the most reliable things on the road even without towing)

4. Post
    +1. Both are very under powered to boot.

5. Post
    so we're ideally wanting something with a 3L engine to pull something like that?

6. Post
    Hyundai Santa Fe diesel, circa 2010 is what I'm trying to get hold of as a tow vehicle.

Estima might just barely cope. But your petrol bill would be truly alarming, and I wouldn't put good odds on the transmission being very happy with the situation.

7. Post
    AnotherLeon wrote:
    Hyundai Santa Fe diesel, circa 2010 is what I'm trying to get hold of as a tow vehicle.
    A friend has exactly this car, that he uses to tow his boat or horse float for 4+ hour drives from Taupo to Coromandel and says its a pleasure to tow with. Plenty of power.

8. Post
    Gotta consider the push as well as the pull - something else to consider if the caravan doesn't have a braking system.

9. Post
    My car is rated for 700kg un-breaked, surely a 1200kg caravan has a breaking system, but it’s an important thing to check for sure!

10. Post
    Grab a ~2010 Sonata or Grandeur diesel to replace the Corolla. They're dirt cheap these days, incredibly reliable, cheap to run and normally have towbars already.

Almost picked up a 2009 Grandeur diesel with 150k for 3k a few months ago but their response to a TradeMe email went into my spam box and I didn't see it for a week. When I found and followed it up it was pending pick up.

My last Grandeur was sold with 350,000KM and that was shortly after a 7000KM roadtrip around the South Island and back to Auckland with absolutely no dramas.

This will go cheap, I expect 2.5-3k:
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...dfdb978cbb-005

Crazily they've both shot up in price on TradeMe. Last I looked there was a glut of ex-taxis so prices for both were hovering 2-5k. There was also a lot of both. Only two Grandeurs at the moment and way overpriced.

Edit: Maybe watch this
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...1fa108900a-003

Or swap the Estima for this:
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...1fa108900a-003
    Last edited by suntoucher; 3rd January 2020 at 10:02 am.

11. Post
    bas wrote:
    My car is rated for 700kg un-breaked, surely a 1200kg caravan has a breaking system, but itís an important thing to check for sure!
    Brakes stop cars, breaks are important when doing long drives tho

12. Post
    Bear in mind certain engines and transmissions aren't reliable for towing and may need modification especially when doing lots high load situations like going up long inclines. Id have the transmission serviced on the vehicle before using it for towing, probably along with the brake fluid.

13. Post
    Eagle wrote:
    Bear in mind certain engines and transmissions aren't reliable for towing and may need modification especially when doing lots high load situations like going up long inclines. Id have the transmission serviced on the vehicle before using it for towing, probably along with the brake fluid.

This, plus I'd say check the trans cooler is up to it

14. Post
    Cooling system also is probably a good idea too. Ive seen a few people overheat due to weak viscous fans on RWD and 4x4's

15. Post
    And you can set an unseen precedent here also, by being literally the first caravan owner ever, to pull over and let people past when traffic backs up behind them

16. Post
    MAC_HATER wrote:
    And you can set an unseen precedent here also, by being literally the first caravan owner ever, to pull over and let people past when traffic backs up behind them
    Pfft, no one can admire your caravan if they're in front of you.