1. Post

speedtest.net scammers??

I just got a call from a possible scam where an indian sounding lady insisted i go to speedtest.net and run the speed test. Saying she was from spark and they will upgrade the internet speed. As soon as I went on that website she cut the call. Does anyone know what this scam is about. I thought speedtest was safe as I have used it in the past

2. Post
    I went to speedtest.net and the next day someone jumped my fence and kicked my dog.

3. Post
    I hope you gave her your credit card details to stop your internet slowing down.

4. Post
    Somone stoled my megahertz

5. Post
    no I didn't give any bank details just as soon as I opened speedtest.net they hung up which is what made me worried. I didn't run the speed test. Is it a way the are using speedtest to gain access to your pc

6. Post
    You can usually tell by the speed score.

7. Post
    Lol from all the jokes I think theres nothing to worry about

8. Post
    Mutton doesn't joke. 60% of the time, hes serious every time.

9. Post
    Lmao at this thread.

10. Post
    The real scam is $ISP putting a transparent cache in front of Speedtest.net to make all their results (even ones from LA/UK etc) look leet

11. Post
    I went to speedtest.net and the next day they backtraced my IP and the consequences were never the same.

12. Post
    Call your ISP

13. Post
    There was an similar scam in the UK, if you had poor results they started down a "refund process" and would get you to log into your internet banking. I assume at some point they get people to allow remote access.

14. Post
    OMG speedtest.net just flew over my house!

15. Post
    effectivekrishy wrote:
    no I didn't give any bank details just as soon as I opened speedtest.net they hung up which is what made me worried. I didn't run the speed test. Is it a way the are using speedtest to gain access to your pc
    If the light on your router is blinking... I'm sorry to say, you have a virus

16. Post
    Kog wrote:
    If the light on your router is blinking... I'm sorry to say, you have a virus
    It was pretty cool when the IEEE added the Virus Light to the spec and routers started coming out with it. It's even cooler than the Worst Person Shutout button on most routers that tests the total available bandwidth and speed limits the heaviest user so that everyone else gets a fair share.

17. Post
    Well technically speaking my home firewall does have an ALERT LED, and that does include flashing for virus/malware detections.

18. Post
    They probably just phone everyone in the phonebook, hunting for gullible people. They then on sell that number to all the scammers, RIP OP.

19. Post
    This is nonsense, rather you could be deceived through the phone itself, do not look for tricks on trusted sites.

20. Post
    Soon GP will be full of these spammers, half the posters can't even tell the difference.

21. Post
    They will not only not notice the difference, some will even get better, because there is more interesting content